Author Topic: A question of origins  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
A question of origins
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:07:39 PM »
How do you think it all came about?  Here's a very rough summary of my understanding:

13.7 +-0.2 billion years ago, the universe as we know it began expanding from an extremely hot and dense state for reasons unknown.  4.6 billion years ago, a cloud of primordial gas, seeded by the nuclear ash of several generations of supernova and likely compressed by the shockwave of a nearby supernova, collapsed to form the solar system.  Part of the mass of the cloud formed the Earth 4.54 billion years ago. 

The first prokaryotes appeared approximately 3.7 billion years ago, having evolved from simple self-replicating chemical systems after the end of the late heavy bombardment, and the last universal ancestor split into the bacteria and archea 3.5 billion years ago.  Photosynthetic cyanobacteria evolved 3 billion years ago, oxidising the surface to form banded iron deposits which are mined today, and causing a slow buildup of oxygen in the atmosphere once the surface had been depleted of oxidisable minerals.

1 billion years ago, the first multi-cellular organisms evolved.  From there, evolution became more rapid, with simple animals appearing 600 million years ago, arthropods 570 million years ago, fish 500 million years ago, land plants 475 million years ago, amphibians 360 million years ago, mammals 200 million years ago and humans 2 million years ago.

Behaviourally modern humans appeared in Africa 130,000 years ago, and a dramatic increase in technological development began 50,000 years ago.   Human societies increased in complexity and formed the first human civilisations approximately 10,000-12,000 years ago with the development and spread of agriculture and the glacial retreat which provided optimal conditions and virgin land.  The population and technological progress both began exponential explosions that have continued to this day.

Anyone have a different interpretation?  (Significantly different; not minor quibbles about details.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:11:39 PM by Peter »
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: A question of origins
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »
I always have been,
and always will be.

This is merely a dream
to pass eternity.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:37:14 PM »
I have no idea how the universe started, but I assume that we are in a loop with black holes feeding our origin

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »
Trying to flush out any creationists, huh?  :flame:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »
Trying to flush out any creationists, huh?  :flame:

You know me so well.  Also trying to flush out people with more obscure belief systems.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:16:25 AM »
The Universe started as a dare.

and if anyone questions that then the streets will flow green with the blood of the infidels.

ozymandias

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:53:51 AM »
How do you think it all came about?  Here's a very rough summary of my understanding:

13.7 +-0.2 billion years ago, the universe as we know it began expanding from an extremely hot and dense state for reasons unknown.  4.6 billion years ago, a cloud of primordial gas, seeded by the nuclear ash of several generations of supernova and likely compressed by the shockwave of a nearby supernova, collapsed to form the solar system.  Part of the mass of the cloud formed the Earth 4.54 billion years ago. 

The first prokaryotes appeared approximately 3.7 billion years ago, having evolved from simple self-replicating chemical systems after the end of the late heavy bombardment, and the last universal ancestor split into the bacteria and archea 3.5 billion years ago.  Photosynthetic cyanobacteria evolved 3 billion years ago, oxidising the surface to form banded iron deposits which are mined today, and causing a slow buildup of oxygen in the atmosphere once the surface had been depleted of oxidisable minerals.

1 billion years ago, the first multi-cellular organisms evolved.  From there, evolution became more rapid, with simple animals appearing 600 million years ago, arthropods 570 million years ago, fish 500 million years ago, land plants 475 million years ago, amphibians 360 million years ago, mammals 200 million years ago and humans 2 million years ago.

Behaviourally modern humans appeared in Africa 130,000 years ago, and a dramatic increase in technological development began 50,000 years ago.   Human societies increased in complexity and formed the first human civilisations approximately 10,000-12,000 years ago with the development and spread of agriculture and the glacial retreat which provided optimal conditions and virgin land.  The population and technological progress both began exponential explosions that have continued to this day.

Anyone have a different interpretation?  (Significantly different; not minor quibbles about details.)

No thats roughly it!!  I'm just of the belief that what we know would fit on the head of a pin, what we don't know would fill the earth.  Pondering it all is a luxury that I indulge in rarely. :'(

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:30:16 AM »
I always have been,
and always will be.

This is merely a dream
to pass eternity.

Or you are just insanely afraid of the end of your own existence.   Despite what mommy said, you are not special.   That statement just verifies your belief in an immortal soul.   Where would you put the soul?   Every single part of the human body other than the brain can be replaced and the "soul" of the individual remains intact.   The soul is an invention of the brain, to put people afraid of death at ease about what happens after they die.   They cannot accept that they will sleep endlessly basically.   Their life isn't meaningful or fufilling enough so they hope for something better after they die.   Their hopes are in vain.

Other than details of years I would agree with Peter.   The first cause argument is questionable and weak usually in how it is presented.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 11:36:17 AM »
It's all a dream which 'God' put in your mind.
-- i think i am paraphrasing Bishop Berkely  ???

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 01:02:27 PM »
I believe God created me in one day.  :insane: ever notice how creationists look really... unevolved?

The above was stolen from B.Hicks
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »
That's pretty much it, Peter.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »
That's pretty much it, Peter.
Nope, he forgot the aliens dropping us off as bacteria, deleting the dinosaurs coz reptiles are ugly, then returning millionzovyeers later to introduce our Mayan cousins to the wonders of magic mushrooms.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »
I always have been,
and always will be.

This is merely a dream
to pass eternity.

Or you are just insanely afraid of the end of your own existence.   Despite what mommy said, you are not special.   That statement just verifies your belief in an immortal soul.   Where would you put the soul?   Every single part of the human body other than the brain can be replaced and the "soul" of the individual remains intact.   The soul is an invention of the brain, to put people afraid of death at ease about what happens after they die.   They cannot accept that they will sleep endlessly basically.   Their life isn't meaningful or fufilling enough so they hope for something better after they die.   Their hopes are in vain.

Other than details of years I would agree with Peter.   The first cause argument is questionable and weak usually in how it is presented.

Looking at things the wrong way. All existence is centered about me.
Including time. If I end, it all does. A perfectly rational way of looking
at it.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
There's an easy way to find out if you're right. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 01:24:42 PM »
There's an easy way to find out if you're right. :laugh:
:lol:

SO you think. But, IF I don't continue, what difference does
it matter? (same effect for me)

IF I do, well, then there's no disproof. I still AM.

It's flawless.