Author Topic: Theory of Mind thread  (Read 10121 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Theory of Mind thread
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2007, 03:47:35 PM »
yada, yada, yada.  we all know there's shitloads wrong with organised religions, especially when the fundies get going.  my point about defending various groups is that lumping "all muslims", "all christians", "all men", "all black people", etc., etc, together is not only bigoted, as one then makes sweeping generalisations about what are, practically by default, extremely heterogenous groups, which i would call bigotry.

yes, people do hideous things in the name of islam, as they do in the name of christianity, hinduism, communism, fascism, new labour, so-called contemporary R&B, and about a squizillion more.  i don't defend any of that, but i do defend a disparate group of people from attacks by those who don't actually know what they're talking about, have no real experience of the bigger picture, and are closed-minded about the whole thing (i.e. bigots).

as far as islam is concerned, muslims just happen to be the latest in a long line of scapegoats, and the danger with scapegoating is, obviously, that those doing the scapegoating don't bother to look at themselves to see where their own responsibilities lie, for whatever wrongs they're blaming the others for.  of course islamic terrorists are a bunch of dangerous, fanatical wankers.  but it's lazy and irresponsible to blame them for everything wrong with the world today.

might help if you'd actually read some of my other posts on the subject properly, hadron, as i'm sure i've said this several times before.  ::)
I am making judgements on a collective choice that people have made, and I am sure you would agree with me in saying that people should be held in account for their actions. Just as you are sweepingly attacking people for being a member of the BNP.

As for my research, I have more than done it. Yes there are some muslims who have opened their eyes and modernised, but they are few and far between, the ones who have realised half the religion is not acceptatable in the modern era. Its the ones who follow the mainstream ideas are the problem, given what is said in the Koran. If you take the terrorists aside, there is still a big big problem. Muslims in the UK have made themselves scapegoats through their own actions over the last 5-6 years.

Ditto.

could you possibly make your response pertinent to the quotation.  sidestepping and rambling off on another tangent makes you look dozy.

in particular, the bit i've highlighted is completely "wtf?"  it's not even relevant to the rest of your witterings.
Simple, you are attacking people for being in a group they choose to be in (the BNP), where as you are calling me a bigot for doing exactly the samething with Muslims (people do make the choice to become a member of the religion, surprisingly) . Just because someones choices and ideals are in line with a religion doesnt mean they are any more acceptable than if they are not.

As for my tangent, it was a course correction from your tangent. And I suggest you stop the ad hominem attacks, I am getting bored of them.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »
:yawn:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2007, 04:17:29 PM »

Simple, you are attacking people for being in a group they choose to be in (the BNP), where as you are calling me a bigot for doing exactly the samething with Muslims (people do make the choice to become a member of the religion, surprisingly) . Just because someones choices and ideals are in line with a religion doesnt mean they are any more acceptable than if they are not.

As for my tangent, it was a course correction from your tangent. And I suggest you stop the ad hominem attacks, I am getting bored of them.

it's "bored with" for crying out loud.  and nicking mordok's ad hominem is just too hysterical for words, apart from the fact that you're using it incorrectly - go back and check his explanation.

nothing else you say in this drivel is relevant.  as usual, you're extrapolating what i've said, adding in a load of any old similar-sounding shite, and wandering off with the fairies.  check back and see if i actually said any of that which you claim.  i think you'll find you might need to read things, rather than read into them.  ::)

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #258 on: September 04, 2007, 05:00:14 PM »

it's "bored with" for crying out loud.  and nicking mordok's ad hominem is just too hysterical for words, apart from the fact that you're using it incorrectly - go back and check his explanation.

nothing else you say in this drivel is relevant.  as usual, you're extrapolating what i've said, adding in a load of any old similar-sounding shite, and wandering off with the fairies.  check back and see if i actually said any of that which you claim.  i think you'll find you might need to read things, rather than read into them.  ::)
:yawn: Havent you ran out of breath yet, you seem to be doing an awful lot of trying to give me the run around. You have lost, now face it.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #259 on: September 04, 2007, 05:08:41 PM »

:yawn: Havent you ran out of breath yet, you seem to be doing an awful lot of trying to give me the run around. You have lost, now face it.
:rofl:
that's actually quite funny.
Im going to have to + ahayes now.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #260 on: September 04, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »
What are we arguing about in this thread btw.
Does anybody know ?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #261 on: September 04, 2007, 05:13:39 PM »
Does anybody know ?

No idea.  :laugh:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2007, 05:14:20 PM »
Does anybody know ?
Lucifer calling me a bigot and then defending Muslims.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2007, 05:31:23 PM »
i think hadron's replies are like that because they reflect his inner character. or rather, the lack of one.

An interesting point. But one can grow.
I know that y'all have given up on the age
issue, but honestly, it takes some of us a
long time to settle on what is right.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2007, 05:32:45 PM »
Does anybody know ?

But, she seems to have DONE these things.
What's there to argue about?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #265 on: September 04, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
so you DID attack the religion, not just some Muslims? and no, that single statement in itself does not make you a bigot. however, combined with your other posts on the subject, you clearly are one.

Quote from: Hadron
Muslims in the UK have made themselves scapegoats through their own actions over the last 5-6 years.

that's what they said about the Jews in Germany before WW2. your hitler avatar is well chosen.

bigot.
I am just stating the facts. Thanks for the history lesson, but 40% of Jews were not trying to turn Germany into a Jewish state were they. Nor were they frequently making speechs complaining about how shit Germany is.
And you are just using the word "bigot" because you have lost the arguement. Now go and run away....

don't you think that before you claim victory, you should at least present some kind of argument supporting your cause, other than the standard racist bullshit on white supremacy pages?

as i said, the hitler avatar is dead on for you.
Lets start with Abu Hamza who has been preaching for years, this is what he has to say:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,,1704312,00.html
And watch Newsnight, thats a good source.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:38:16 PM by Hadron »

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #266 on: September 04, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »
Does anybody know ?

The fact it makes her a hypocrite. A shameless one too, it seems.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #267 on: September 04, 2007, 06:23:57 PM »
Does anybody know ?

I don't see that. I could call you pretentious,
even though I am, without being hypocritical.

Moreover, defending a bigoted group doesn't
make one a bigot, per say.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »
Does anybody know ?

Accusing me of being a bigot for attacking muslims is a bit unfair though. Given some aspects of the religion are worse than most nazis.

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2007, 06:30:13 PM »
Does anybody know ?

Well put.  I would add that the reasons for said defense also are worth considering.