Educational

Author Topic: Theory of Mind thread  (Read 10103 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Theory of Mind thread
« Reply #285 on: September 05, 2007, 03:30:37 AM »
i think there should be a law for it when Hardon and pals accuse us of cliqueing.

Thanks to you, we have two new smilies for it, anyway.

:brickwall:

:bangbang:

:plus:

:LMAO:

(and :plus: to Milla and DD, too)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #286 on: September 05, 2007, 03:32:25 AM »
plus to you too. :green:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2007, 11:53:14 PM »

i used to blame his age. i don't anymore.

Yeah, I know. But it's not just age. It's
experience. This is a time when one is
still forming opinions. And absolutely
certain.

At least for some. Doesn't mean you
have to be nice though. That would
only encourage what you see as wrong.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2007, 01:06:52 AM »
As for my MO, do you seriously expect me to have done stacks of research before making every post?
Only if you're going to state something as a blanket fact.  If you'd tack on an "in my experience" or "in my opinion", I don't think people would jump on you quite so much.
I like Kiriana's comment here.
Presenting your experiences as facts puts people off and if you keep doing it, in future you may be ignored because no one will believe you.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2007, 05:07:02 AM »
As for my MO, do you seriously expect me to have done stacks of research before making every post?
Only if you're going to state something as a blanket fact.  If you'd tack on an "in my experience" or "in my opinion", I don't think people would jump on you quite so much.
Presenting your experiences as facts puts people off and if you keep doing it, in future you may be ignored because no one will believe you.

While what she said may have truth in it, the first business is to straighten out one's opinions.
No one, but a bigot, wants to see bigoted opinions promoted. I know that he has only skirted the edges of bigotry, because he doesn't know better, but when you have spent your whole life trying to rise above and reject all the bigotry we encounter, any allowance for the notions seems like a backturn.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2007, 06:52:34 AM »
Only if you're going to state something as a blanket fact.  If you'd tack on an "in my experience" or "in my opinion", I don't think people would jump on you quite so much.

While what she said may have truth in it, the first business is to straighten out one's opinions.
No one, but a bigot, wants to see bigoted opinions promoted. I know that he has only skirted the edges of bigotry, because he doesn't know better, but when you have spent your whole life trying to rise above and reject all the bigotry we encounter, any allowance for the notions seems like a backturn.

Yep, I don't disagree with you at all.  Whether it's presented as fact or opinion, bigotry ought to be pointed out so it can be examined and hopefully discarded.   I think my point was more in reference to why people were picking apart his arguements on a consistent basis rather than just specific to this topic.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2007, 07:41:58 AM »

Yep, I don't disagree with you at all.  Whether it's presented as fact or opinion, bigotry ought to be pointed out so it can be examined and hopefully discarded.   I think my point was more in reference to why people were picking apart his arguements on a consistent basis rather than just specific to this topic.

Yes, of course.
I meant my comment to be taken as a constructive criticism of our young friend. I have tried other approaches as well. It is so easy to overlook and miss how subtle that hate and bigotry actually are and they can easily to creep back into our lives, if we do not remain vigilant to prevent this. There is no "click" solution to avoiding bigotry, it is a lifelong process that each one must choose, if it is to be controlled. It can not be eliminated.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #292 on: September 06, 2007, 07:57:04 AM »

Yes, of course.
I meant my comment to be taken as a constructive criticism of our young friend. I have tried other approaches as well. It is so easy to overlook and miss how subtle that hate and bigotry actually are and they can easily to creep back into our lives, if we do not remain vigilant to prevent this. There is no "click" solution to avoiding bigotry, it is a lifelong process that each one must choose, if it is to be controlled. It can not be eliminated.

Right, it's the subtlety that gets so many people.  I've really just started examining this in the past couple years and I've been amazed at stuff that I've learned.  Five years ago, I'd have said "no way am I a bigot!", because I didn't use racial slurs or cross the street when seeing someone of a different ethnicity.  But when you really look at it, there's so much more to it than that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2007, 08:28:57 AM »
:plus: to you both.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2007, 08:39:14 AM »

:plus: for you both for trying to understand the ramblings of someone quite past his prime.

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2007, 08:43:17 AM »

:plus: for you both for trying to understand the ramblings of someone quite past his prime.

Wisdom is usually gained through age.

Another :plus:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
 :plus: to everyone - huzzah!

:laugh:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2007, 11:55:56 AM »

i guess if i want to remain in the clique i have to go along.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2007, 12:00:12 PM »

OK, but who's the leader?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »

OK, but who's the leader?
if i had to think about this logically i would say PI.  but the truth is, there is no leader.  just like minded discussion thwarters.
Misunderstood.