Author Topic: GreenBlue  (Read 9055 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: GreenBlue
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2007, 04:50:15 AM »
you're completely wrong abut professional ethics in the teaching profession, right the way through from primary to higher ed.  but then i'm not surprised, as there are a lot of things you don't know about, but comment on anyway.
I know enough about what went on in my school, the local paper had some stuff in it, and the rest I learned through certain teachers telling me. There are some who adhere to the ethics, but many who do not.

you're talking bollocks, as usual.  although, obviously, one HAS to believe everything in the local paper.  ::)

i've been teaching for 20 years, so i suspect i might know just a tad more than you about teachers and their professional ethics, hmm?
When it pertains to one of your teachers, I would, and asides one of my teachers confirmed all this anyway. This guy went into school high on class A drugs, made lewd comments to certain students and other things. Best of all when he got arrested for possesion, he didnt even tell the school or anything, the school found out from the newspaper when he got convicted. Some other teachers at the school were not far behind.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2007, 04:57:18 AM »
still doesn't justify your "many who do not" comment.  you're talking about ONE school.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2007, 05:00:44 AM »
still doesn't justify your "many who do not" comment.  you're talking about ONE school.
My school is hypothetically the best in the area, although it is sinking a little with the new head (the one that more or less every teacher there hates). If my school is the best in the area, what does it say about the other ones? Asides that, I hear lots of stories about what goes on at other schools.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2007, 05:06:05 AM »
Is going to Oxford like going to Harvard in the US?  Really only important in name?
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2007, 05:08:22 AM »
Is going to Oxford like going to Harvard in the US?  Really only important in name?
Its equivelent yes. But the networks you get from it certainly can bump you up the social pecking order, if it was important in just name only I wouldnt care.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2007, 05:10:31 AM »
My school is hypothetically the best in the area, although it is sinking a little with the new head (the one that more or less every teacher there hates). If my school is the best in the area, what does it say about the other ones? Asides that, I hear lots of stories about what goes on at other schools.

the so-called "best" schools rarely have the best teachers, for your information.  people who are really dedicated and brilliant at teaching, and who really care, tend to work in inner city schools, because they're not looking for an comparitively easy life.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2007, 05:26:03 AM »

the so-called "best" schools rarely have the best teachers, for your information.  people who are really dedicated and brilliant at teaching, and who really care, tend to work in inner city schools, because they're not looking for an comparitively easy life.
Oh true you do get some people who generally care about teaching in inner city schools. The problem in an inner city school is they struggle to fill appointments in many cases, so you would end up with lots of crap teachers as well who couldnt get a job at one of the better schools. But you are right in saying there are lots of teachers at my school who do not care about teaching, but there are some others who do really care, they just dont want to get beaten up while teaching.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2007, 05:30:39 AM »
beaten up?  and yours in one of the better schools, you say?  how interesting - i've always worked in inner city schools, very rough ones, at that, and i've never come across a case of a teacher being beaten up.  how very strange...

do tell me, where's your evidence for your assertions that "you do get some people who generally care in inner city schools", and the "lots of crap teachers"?  again, my experience is that those assertions are complete bollocks.  must be pretty extensive and empirical, as you seem to know more about teaching than i.  ::)

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2007, 05:36:18 AM »
beaten up?  and yours in one of the better schools, you say?  how interesting - i've always worked in inner city schools, very rough ones, at that, and i've never come across a case of a teacher being beaten up.  how very strange...

do tell me, where's your evidence for your assertions that "you do get some people who generally care in inner city schools", and the "lots of crap teachers"?  again, my experience is that those assertions are complete bollocks.  must be pretty extensive and empirical, as you seem to know more about teaching than i.  ::)
I am talking about teachers who used to work in inner city schools, who told me all about what actually happened in some of them. And yes some of them has chairs thrown at them etc.
As for my assertation, logic. If the "better" schools are more popular, more of the better candidates are going to want to work in them. In shortage areas, that means that in poorer schools, they will often not get teachers qualified in said subject. Do you see whereabouts I am coming from?

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2007, 05:39:35 AM »
not at all, because you're talking shite, as per.  read my post about dedicated teachers.  your logic is completely flawed.

the majority of teachers i know, or know through other teachers, aren't in it for the "best job" scenario.  yes, there are those who couldn't give a toss, and yes, there are those who are career teachers.  but they are in a very small minority.

and your evidence has no statistical significance, by the way, mr maths.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2007, 06:00:43 AM »
not at all, because you're talking shite, as per.  read my post about dedicated teachers.  your logic is completely flawed.

the majority of teachers i know, or know through other teachers, aren't in it for the "best job" scenario.  yes, there are those who couldn't give a toss, and yes, there are those who are career teachers.  but they are in a very small minority.

and your evidence has no statistical significance, by the way, mr maths.
Oh all my evidence is anecdotal, but so is yours. As for statistics, there isnt going to be one for crap teachers is there. So really we have reached a moot point.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2007, 06:02:41 AM »
you won't get any early information - we have emails stating that any queries to try and get early exam results are to be refused.  don't waste your time.

i don't mark with edexcel, and i don't teach science anymore.  and i wouldn't pass on information like that anyway, cos it would be a breach of professional ethics, which, surprisingly, i'm hot on.

but do let us know your results, won't you?  i'd say "good luck", but it's pretty pointless now, lol.
Some unis are letting it go it seems, via "confirmation emails". Anyway I have good reason to send another email, and anyway i dont want my results off him, just to know whether I got in or not. As for proffesional ethics in the teaching profession, i thought they were ignored these days most of the time, given some of the goings off at my school and elsewhere.
If I get online Thursday I will let you know, but its more likely to be friday.
And Kosmo, you will care if Oxford reputation drops next time you want a job.
If i ever need a job, then Oxford's reputation will be the least of my worries.

Unless it fell dramatically. I thought you had a job anyway, or you implied it when we were talking in that Suspension of Fuckwittery thing.
My 'area of special interest' is gambling. Ive not 'worked' for over five years.

Being an aspie is a big advantage in that area. What are the gambling earnings like, i might have a gander at it while at uni.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2007, 06:07:47 AM »
nice attenpt at side-slipping, and it would've worked, only i have a brain.  ::)

yes, it is anecdotal.  but which would you say was nearer the reality - your conversations with a handful of teachers from one or two schools in an area, at one given point in time, or mine, with hundreds (if not thousands) of teachers from across the country, over twenty years, hmmm?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2007, 06:10:18 AM »
nice attenpt at side-slipping, and it would've worked, only i have a brain.  ::)

yes, it is anecdotal.  but which would you say was nearer the reality - your conversations with a handful of teachers from one or two schools in an area, at one given point in time, or mine, with hundreds (if not thousands) of teachers from across the country, over twenty years, hmmm?
Oh true you have a lot more anecdotes than I do. But as you pointed out me, worked largely in inner city schools, you are going to be biased to an extent. True, you do know more than me on education. But I dont have many biases.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2007, 06:13:13 AM »
my experience is from across the country, and across both urban and rural schools, actually.

so, can you stop arguing inanely (and ignorantly) about education and maths, at least, now, as there are obviously people (me, kosmo and callaway, and probably cal, respectively) who actually have a clue what they're talking about?