Author Topic: Amanda Baggs' video  (Read 9518 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Amanda Baggs' video
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 05:06:00 AM »
I have always found abuned a fascinating person, ever since i first joined WP.

Regarding this debate, I think that what the public need to know is that there is wide variety.  People like abuned exist, and so do the social aspies, and everyone in between.
Its not a matter of what the public needs to know. It is what we want the public to know and what we want them to do. Her bouncing around on TV helps us how, exactly, asides being a possible source of footage for Autism Speaks and CAN.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 05:09:16 AM »
we?  i shouldn't claim to speak for anyone else, if i were you.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 05:19:31 AM »
Neither should Amanda really, thought you would finally get round to shooting yourself in the foot like that...

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 05:30:30 AM »
/shrugs

you can have that point, with my blessing, as you so obviously need it.  i don't.

if you knew anything about amanda, as a person, you'd know she doesn't claim that video as something which speaks for anyone but herself.

try speaking from knowledge and experience rather than misguided arrogance for once, just the once.  the novelty might be refreshing for you.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 05:33:19 AM »
/shrugs

you can have that point, with my blessing, as you so obviously need it.  i don't.

if you knew anything about amanda, as a person, you'd know she doesn't claim that video as something which speaks for anyone but herself.

try speaking from knowledge and experience rather than misguided arrogance for once, just the once.  the novelty might be refreshing for you.
Lucifer, I think I know a damn site more about the media, asides having studied it and been on national television.
I also know what impression her videos are going to leave on NT's, i dont think they will be nice. Do I have to revive Dr_Quark to prove it to you?

The_P

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 05:41:24 AM »
Neither should Amanda really, thought you would finally get round to shooting yourself in the foot like that...

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold it there.

Since when did she state that she speaks for everyone in the autistic community in her video? I thought it was mainly to do with taking disabled peoples' humanity for granted.

"Yay, he can't excel at Maths! Let's make fun of him, the spastic! He's a non-human, anyway, so it's all good."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:07:23 AM by SomeRandomPoof »

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2007, 05:44:23 AM »
/shrugs

Lucifer, I think I know a damn site more about the media, asides having studied it and been on national television.

maybe you do.  but you don't know that.  you have no idea about me, none whatsoever - i could have worked in the media for longer than you've been born, or have a partner who has, or anything.

when are you going to learn that you do NOT know everything, and stop making wildly inaccurate assumptions?

duncvis

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 05:45:18 AM »
Hardon has 'undergrad syndrome' and he hasn't even got there yet. His tutors are going to have fun.  :eyebrows:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2007, 05:47:08 AM »
Hardon has 'undergrad syndrome' and he hasn't even got there yet. His tutors are going to have fun.  :eyebrows:

yes, but i doubt very much he will.

still, he won't listen.  no point in bashing one's head against a brick wall.

i do hope he comes back on here and whines about it though, dont you?  MAJOR Schadenfreude.   :eyebrows:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 05:47:40 AM »

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold it there.

Since when did she state that speaks for everyone in the autistic community in her video? I thought it was mainly to do with taking disabled peoples' humanity for granted.

"Yay, he can't excel at Maths! Let's make fun of him, the spastic! He's a non-human, anyway, so it's all good."
Since she went on TV as an someone under the autistic spectrum, she used our label, end of. Thats how she defined herself. Her using a label that many other people share suddenly becomes everyone on the spectrums buisiness doesnt it?

Lucifer, you would have mentioned your media expertise in an earlier conversation if you had it, and you would have applied it to advocacy wouldnt you?
As for you having a partner I would bet the answer would be no wouldnt it?
When did I say I knew everything, you seem to be the patronising one dont you?

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2007, 05:50:43 AM »

Lucifer, you would have mentioned your media expertise in an earlier conversation if you had it

why?  why do you assume i'd tell you?  as has been pointed out, you know jack shit about me, sweetheart.

and you would have applied it to advocacy wouldnt you?

how do you know i haven't?

ditto

:laugh:  if i were patronising you child, you'd know it, believe me.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2007, 05:55:38 AM »

Lucifer, you would have mentioned your media expertise in an earlier conversation if you had it

why?  why do you assume i'd tell you?  as has been pointed out, you know jack shit about me, sweetheart.

ditto

1. Simple, you would have not been doodling around as an unpaid representative for AS people at you uni. You would have done something bigger, unless you are a total coward?
2. If you had done something remotely big I would know about it, again you have an ego and would have mentioned it.
3. You strike me as miserable, and also the volume of time you spend on here combined with other commitments you wouldnt have time for one, or there is somewhere you have lied.  And frequently.
4. Fire away, that would be intresting...

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2007, 06:00:58 AM »

ditto

1. Simple, you would have not been doodling around as an unpaid representative for AS people at you uni. You would have done something bigger, unless you are a total coward?

wrong.  you have no idea what else i do.

2. If you had done something remotely big I would know about it, again you have an ego and would have mentioned it.

wrong again.  i may well have saved your life, indirectly, at some point.

3. You strike me as miserable, and also the volume of time you spend on here combined with other commitments you wouldnt have time for one, or there is somewhere you have lied.  And frequently.

you've really have a hair up your arse about me lying, don't you?  why is it so important to you, hmm?

for you, certainly.  for me, it would be like playing chess with a gerbil.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2007, 06:06:50 AM »

ditto

wrong.  you have no idea what else i do.

wrong again.  i may well have saved your life, indirectly, at some point.

you've really have a hair up your arse about me lying, don't you?  why is it so important to you, hmm?

for you, certainly.  for me, it would be like playing chess with a gerbil.
I would love to see how you may have indirectly saved my life, that would be amusing...
Why dont you enlighten me on some of this stuf you are doing, the reason you are dodging the questions is that I must be partially right somewhere. As for lying, i have made an assumption that you have not done so too frequently to make what I have more or less figured out invalid.
As for the playing chess with a gerbil thing, you would be surprised how good I am at arguing in person. I normally win in games of wits, unless you are trying to tell me you are some genius at it.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 06:09:41 AM »
as i said on the first or second day after your delightful appearance here, i don't reveal stuff about myself to people i don't know or trust.  you really should pay attention, you know.

think you're right, if that gives you a hadron, oops, sorry, i meant hard on.

no i haven't lied - you just got it wrong, dear.

yep, i'm a genius at it.  next?