Educational

Author Topic: Amanda Baggs' video  (Read 9519 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Amanda Baggs' video
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 01:34:05 PM »
for someone who claims so much knowledge about everything, you are almost as oblivious as flo.

ordinarily, i'd try to facilitate your understanding of where you're going wrong, and offer support for you  to sort things out and make things easier for you - it's my job, after all.  because i'm so disgusted, i'd prefer to sit back and watch with joyful Schadenfreude, as you fuck up your life because you won't listen to anything but your own, over-inflated sense of self importance.

in fact, i'd go even further - you're not even worth my attention.

end of discussion.

The_P

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
I don't feel offended nor disgusted by this "lesser individual" for her actions because she was making a strong statement as to what is regarded as intelligence, personhood, language, and communication, and what does not. And just because people are cognitively disabled, why should we deny their own humanity?

That's my interpretation of the film. Take it what you will.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 01:40:22 PM »
for someone who claims so much knowledge about everything, you are almost as oblivious as flo.

ordinarily, i'd try to facilitate your understanding of where you're going wrong, and offer support for you  to sort things out and make things easier for you - it's my job, after all.  because i'm so disgusted, i'd prefer to sit back and watch with joyful Schadenfreude, as you fuck up your life because you won't listen to anything but your own, over-inflated sense of self importance.

in fact, i'd go even further - you're not even worth my attention.

end of discussion.
Lucifer, I have a knowledge of politics and PR beyond yours. Go and showcase her video to a bunch of NT's and see what they think. If that video gets widely spread it becomes a problem, regardless of intentions. As for me being overinflated, i do listen to people, but in this case just accept it is seriously bad PR she has just released, and i am not entralled by her "representing us". Ideally she could stim all she likes all day long, but we live in reality unfortuantly and she cant, at least publically, without making all of us look fools.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 01:41:57 PM »
I don't feel offended nor disgusted by this "lesser individual" for her actions because she was making a strong statement as to what is regarded as intelligence, personhood, language, and communication, and what does not. And just because people are cognitively disabled, why should we deny their own humanity?

That's my interpretation of the film. Take it what you will.
I am not saying deny her of her humanity. I am saying she keeps her videos to her self. What I think is irrelevent in PR terms, its what NT's think unfortuantly.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 03:11:45 PM »

I like to know what you guys think of this short movie. Do you find it inspiring, or do simply find it to be a complete waste of time?

I like the one with captions much better.

Hadron, if you think that Amanda Baggs is not a fit spokesmodel for our autistic community, then why don't you make your own video and put it out there like she has?

You can't, can you? 

I think Amanda's video is a way for people to shed some of their stereotypes about others. 

I think that it was incredibly brave of her to put herself out there like she has done and I have a great deal of respect for her.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 03:28:17 PM »

I like to know what you guys think of this short movie. Do you find it inspiring, or do simply find it to be a complete waste of time?

Hadron, if you think that Amanda Baggs is not a fit spokesmodel for our autistic community, then why don't you make your own video and put it out there like she has?

You can't, can you? 

I think Amanda's video is a way for people to shed some of their stereotypes about others. 

I think that it was incredibly brave of her to put herself out there like she has done and I have a great deal of respect for her.
On the spokesperson thing, I have the downside of being way to young, personally I think the spokesperson thing should be left to an Aspie who has succeeded in NT world.
The thing is I have time on my side, it isnt something I need to do immediately, and asides I have better plans than being a spokesperson.
As for her video it was a backward step, if that went out on national television all of us would have problems for months if we tried to explain autism. Do I need to revive Dr_Quark to prove it to you and show what NT's would think about it! Most of us do not roll around and stim all day, thank you very much, some of us actually try to achieve something believe it or not.
Yes she is brave for what she did, but it doesnt change what she did being rank stupidity at best. I have been on national television myself a time ago for my own merits, and yes I do know it can be an experience.

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 06:53:02 PM »

You can't, can you? 

On the spokesperson thing, I have the downside of being way to young, personally I think the spokesperson thing should be left to an Aspie who has succeeded in NT world.
The thing is I have time on my side, it isnt something I need to do immediately, and asides I have better plans than being a spokesperson.
As for her video it was a backward step, if that went out on national television all of us would have problems for months if we tried to explain autism. Do I need to revive Dr_Quark to prove it to you and show what NT's would think about it! Most of us do not roll around and stim all day, thank you very much, some of us actually try to achieve something believe it or not.
Yes she is brave for what she did, but it doesnt change what she did being rank stupidity at best. I have been on national television myself a time ago for my own merits, and yes I do know it can be an experience.

That video not only made it to national TV, but she was also interviewed by CNN. --What problem is there? She is quite profoundly affected by Autism, yet she is one of the most articulate individuals I have seen. --I like reading her posts quite a bit.
So considering the fact that she is profoundly affected by autism, and we are less affected by it does that make her any less able of a spokesperson or are you playing the proverbial elitism card in favoring those who are less affected, and more 'normal' in behaviour as well as appearance?
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »

You can't, can you? 

That video not only made it to national TV, but she was also interviewed by CNN. --What problem is there? She is quite profoundly affected by Autism, yet she is one of the most articulate individuals I have seen. --I like reading her posts quite a bit.
So considering the fact that she is profoundly affected by autism, and we are less affected by it does that make her any less able of a spokesperson or are you playing the proverbial elitism card in favoring those who are less affected, and more 'normal' in behaviour as well as appearance?

It depends what you mean by national TV, and who and how many people saw it. Put it like this, when you try to explain autism to someone, if they have that in their head then people are just going to assume you are bullshitting if you appear to be vaguely normal. Considering she wants to beat Autism Speaks in a PR war she has just handed them their first victory. What matters is how NT's see it, not how we see it, and from an NT perspective, what do you think they will think of her, and by extension us. There is a very simple way to test it, believe it or not, all I have to do is post it on a foruma and see the reaction...

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 07:40:59 PM »
[

It depends what you mean by national TV, and who and how many people saw it. Put it like this, when you try to explain autism to someone, if they have that in their head then people are just going to assume you are bullshitting if you appear to be vaguely normal. Considering she wants to beat Autism Speaks in a PR war she has just handed them their first victory. What matters is how NT's see it, not how we see it, and from an NT perspective, what do you think they will think of her, and by extension us. There is a very simple way to test it, believe it or not, all I have to do is post it on a foruma and see the reaction...

This one also appeared on National TV.

Aside from the fact that he is a Nobel Laureate in Economics, and I'm more or less a generic loser, his interactions with other people, as well as the insights into his personality are quite similar to myself, as well as what other people say of me.

This one appeared on National TV in Ireland :

Personally, I need nobody as a spokesperson for myself, and find it quite bewildering why somebody would look for a spokesperson.

How exactly is it that she handed Autism Speaks their first victory???  In spite of the fact that she niether looks or acts 'normal' , she has been more than able to make her opinion known and accessible via that video. She has certainly made me quite aware of the fact that even though she is quite outwardly 'differant' she is fully cognizant of her surroundings, and is able to communicate effectively, and make her opinions known. -- How does that play into the hands of organisations like Autism Speaks, as well as CAN???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 07:47:54 PM by ASpHole »
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 07:48:17 PM »
[

This one also appeared on National TV.

Aside from the fact that he is a Nobel Laureate in Economics, and I'm more or less a generic loser, his interactions with other people, as well as the insights into his personality are quite similar to myself, as well as what other people say of me.

This one appeared on National TV in Ireland :

Personally, I need nobody as a spokesperson for myself, and find it quite bewildering why somebody would look for a spokesperson.
Ill look at the videos in the morning, its very late for me. As for a spokesperson, no i dont need one, but we do need to represent our own intrests in a NT society. It is all about getting the maximum out of the NT social system, which currently we are being more like shat on from...

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 03:05:45 AM »
I have always found abuned a fascinating person, ever since i first joined WP.

Regarding this debate, I think that what the public need to know is that there is wide variety.  People like abuned exist, and so do the social aspies, and everyone in between.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 03:16:06 AM »
excellent point, mutate.  and they also need to know that outward manifestation is not necessarily the be all and end all of communication skills, and does not preclude a sharp and intelligent, even intellectually advanced, mind.

:plus:

duncvis

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 03:43:08 AM »
otherwise why does stephen hawking get the respect he does?

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 04:18:46 AM »
bang on, bruv.   :-*

The_P

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 04:58:37 AM »

That's because he's suffering from his student-complex.

"Oh, I'm a university student, and I know everything."

This country is in good hands when you fuckers jumped off that bridge.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:00:24 AM by SomeRandomPoof »