Author Topic: Homosexuality and the Bible  (Read 8456 times)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Homosexuality and the Bible
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »
indeed. all posts are welcome. even the ones critizing other posts. :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »
aaaaa too much text!
not compatable with the ADHD mind.
not indeedy.
OMG, have they already written a thesis?  it's like they are being graded or something.
as you can see the fuckers wrote a whole book.
Is it not possible to have a serious discussion here, or do they all need to devolve into witty one-liners and social small-talk?  Maybe I'm on the wrong fucking Web site....   ???

Actually, I'm rather enjoying this debate.  I'd join in, but it'd involve a lot of following Morthaur around saying "yeah, that!" which isn't all that entertaining really.

I also think it's pretty common for folks around here to jump in with random comments.  At least it keeps the thread bumped up!  And sometimes the comments do end up leading to an interesting side debate.  All part of the fun, really.  But then again, maybe I have a perverse idea of "fun"

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »
i like your idea of fun.

but i also have another idea... :eyebrows:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2007, 01:45:09 PM »

I'm just waiting for the non-fiction version of the Bible to come out.

Offline morthaur

• Dungeon Master of the Aspie Élite
  • Part of the Chaos
« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2007, 02:29:11 PM »
maybe you are if you get upset by my bitching. :laugh: i feel like i'm missing out is all, cuz i can't read long posts like that. i hate debates anyway. but nevermind me, i was just postwhoring. :P
Oh, I'm not upset, just genuinely curious / concerned!  If my lengthy rambles are not welcome to the community at large, I do no-one any favours by posting them!  :laugh:  My idea of fun is not everyone's cup o' tea, after all.

Yes, it seems the majority of posts do devolve.  A few manage to get back on track.  However, the key thing I've found about this place is that all posts are welcome.  Some may just not garner as wide an audience willing to take part.

I, for one, am thoroughly enjoying your posts and discussions and am glad you are here.
Good point.  And merci beaucoup!

Actually, I'm rather enjoying this debate.  I'd join in, but it'd involve a lot of following Morthaur around saying "yeah, that!" which isn't all that entertaining really.

I also think it's pretty common for folks around here to jump in with random comments.  At least it keeps the thread bumped up!  And sometimes the comments do end up leading to an interesting side debate.  All part of the fun, really.  But then again, maybe I have a perverse idea of "fun"
Also good points!  Thanks to all for the feedback.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2007, 02:31:46 PM »
it takes some heavy doody suckiness in a post to not be welcome here. :laugh: like a lá ATOMIK PSYCHO.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2007, 04:03:08 PM »
Interesting random factoids, just for fun---

Him stopping people from stoning a prostitute to death and other things he did where he stood up for people were not seen as good by some.
That first is a reference to a passage in John 7, and it is worth noting that this story was not in early manuscripts of the Christian Bible, but was in fact inserted there by a later mediaeval scribe.

... It is like the shamrock being used to explain the trinity to the Irish, just a term to tell people that Jesus is a part of God (along with the Holy Spirit and the Father).
It is worth also noting that the most clear statement of trinitarianism in the Bible, found around 1 John 5:7, exists in no manuscript before the sixteenth century.  It has fortunately been corrected in many new editions, such as the NIV, but is still reprinted in many popular versions of the Christian Bible to-day.  (The inserted text runs "There are three that testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one.")

There are plenty of examples of this kind of chicanery, as well as countless minor deviations accumulated through copyist error.  The King James Bible is absolutely stuffed with such mistakes, and it is the Bible of choice for many modern churches.  Meaning, the basic theology of modern denominations may still be justified on the basis of fraudulent additions...

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2007, 04:09:44 PM »
aaaaa too much text!
not indeedy.
OMG, have they already written a thesis?  it's like they are being graded or something.
Is it not possible to have a serious discussion here, or do they all need to devolve into witty one-liners and social small-talk?  Maybe I'm on the wrong fucking Web site....   ???
maybe, if you are a prude.

we were just taking the piss, so lighten up.
Misunderstood.

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2007, 06:13:14 PM »

I'm just waiting for the non-fiction version of the Bible to come out.

:plus:  :agreed:
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2007, 06:59:06 PM »
maybe you are if you get upset by my bitching. :laugh: i feel like i'm missing out is all, cuz i can't read long posts like that. i hate debates anyway. but nevermind me, i was just postwhoring. :P

Your bitching gets me hot. But I feel pretty much the same way.
I WISH that I could play, but 'tis just too many words.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2007, 09:51:30 PM »
aaaaa too much text!
not indeedy.

I am thoroughly enjoying the discussion, but I don't have anything to add to it at this time.

You are both making good points, I think.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2007, 02:51:14 AM »
Plus, I doubt that our little snipings
are doing too much harm. The only
hope is that the whole thread doesn't
turn into an off topic, smut, playland.
Too many decent things do, but I think
the simple fact that the 'cool folks' ain't
posting here, makes it safer.

Scrapheap

« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2007, 01:51:01 PM »
Plus, I doubt that our little snipings
are doing too much harm. The only
hope is that the whole thread doesn't
turn into an off topic, smut, playland.
Too many decent things do, but I think
the simple fact that the 'cool folks' ain't
posting here, makes it safer.

I can't believe the degree to which we are seeing the same things here.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »
I am not assuming that, but I am saying that it is logically inconsistent to assert that the Bible is true, and then critique its contents selectively as culture changes.  How can you know that any of it is true, when the gradual evolution of human society slowly eats away at its neolithic and barbarous contents?  This is not to say that the work is without merit, but the assertion that it is the 'word of G-d' and strong faith based upon its contents seems hardly tenable given the criticism that a liberal Christianity such as yours is willing to give it.  The fundamentalists are at least more consistent (though ridiculous to an extreme).

Edit: I want to underline mordok's question to you again.  We are not questioning the fact that you do not have total faith in all of the text; it is clear that you are not a fundamentalist.  The point, rather, is how you make the distinction between one passage's truth and another falsity?  What is your basis for such decisions?  And more importantly, why do you think there is undeniable truth in any part of the book, when some things can plainly be conceded as errors?  Why accept an absurd notion like G-d's incarnation in flesh when you reject other parts of scripture?  What makes any of it true for you?
The Old Testament or Torah has been bastardized just as much if not more by people with agendas than any other religious document.   It is all a joke.   I am no absolutist, there is no almost no absolute truth in this world.     The Son of God was always at his right hand according to scripture.   Do I really believe that, or more importantly do I really care?   The message of Jesus is what I care more about.   I don't take all of it either, just what I find to be useful.   I am not a religious person at all.   

Messianic Judaism seems to me a misguided return to the kind of faith the church of James in Jerusalem once professed, only without the rationale of that earlier entity.  Messianic Judaism died out when the world's end proved elusive, and its rebirth is far more a movement within Christianity than a genuine sect of Judaism.
Well there are Jews out there who disagree with you, if you really looked into it.   Your assumptions about their education is also very laughable.

I never said that I wasn't Jewish.  I am.  Although my only temple affiliation was Conservative, I identify as and with the Reconstructionist movement.
Thats great that you have a religion I guess.   You obviously take it very seriously and are not held back by any of its principles at the same time.   That of course is my assumption.

This leads inevitably back to the question above: Why attribute any of it to G-d and assume its 'truth'?  Why accept things, like the Christ hypothesis, that contradict even the culture that inspired it, much less common sense and reason?  :)  Why believe that humans need a divine 'saviour' in the first place?
Because I believe humans to be absolute shit and truly deserving of death.   They need a whole lot of help even if a God didn't exist and there was no afterlife.   We are all asses, regardless of religion, race or any other division.   I am included.  Jesus at least offers forgiveness and a chance to improve yourself.   Trying to pretend that you are doing good enough to keep all the laws really is still not being perfect.   Striving for improvement is the key factor, otherwise I am just "treading water" so to speak to avoid drowning.   

Only inasmuch as it is the theoretical abode of G-d and the heavenly host, etcThat heaven was not conceived as a destination for Man.  For example, it is widely believed that Elijah will return to earth to announce the coming of Moshiach.  In a sense, then, he is seen as waiting there, in G-d's presence, to come back here and announce the impending 'restoration' of the earth to G-d's original design (an earthly paradise), into which the faithful dead would then awaken.
That is who John the Baptist was thought to represent, the person who was announcing the coming of the Messiah (Jesus).  Do you really believe that the faithful dead will reawaken literally and that a heaven on earth will occur just for Jews?   Such exclusion based solely on lineage is ridiculous to say the least. 

But it isn't contradictory in arguing that women have no rights, etc.!  And adultery/polygamy was certainly no crime for those living before the giving of the Law; just look at Abraham...  ;D
I wouldn't argue that women have no rights, nor would any sane person for that matter (I could argue neither would some insane people).   The Bible isn't taken seriously by most Christians, only by those pushing an agenda.

Exactly so.  Slavery is just a given to Paul; just a natural way of life.  The unquestioning acceptance of slavery rings out as an endorsement and justification to my ears... especially when taken in context (e.g., metaphorically making all believers into slaves).
Well there is more accepting of slavery in the good Old Testament and the Torah.   Actually it does nothing at all to condemn it despite what changes that have been made later on.   Those changes are obviously seen as after the fact and a bastardization of the original texts.   Comprimise if you will.

*ahem* What about "true G-d and true Man"?  Jesus' humanity, as a matter of dogma, is not considered to be a mere form, but a genuine incarnation, making him subject to all of the same aspects of humanity as the rest of us.
He is a human in that he can bleed, but in him is the Son of God (who has been there all along).   He has free will to commit the exact same sins as any other human.

What does his mother have to do with fearing his father?  If he called G-d his father ("abba"), then the same rule applies, no?  ;D
Jesus doesn't exactly act excited to be going to hell to pay for humanity's sins.   That would be a healthy fear of the consequences that God has given humanity for its transgressions.   Of course you don't believe that God designed heaven or hell for humans or really that kind of afterlife.

You are making a doctrinal justification for breaking one of the mitzvoth; if this was his 'purpose, then his purpose did not involve keeping the Law perfectly, did it?
Many Jewish men were not of the purpose to have children, some are incapable.   Jesus was going to die, not be a father raising children with a wife.   Sacrificial lamb, not one made for procreating.

Seems to me more likely that your position is a later theological justification for that quote in the death story.
Of course it is, the Bible isn't that clear as to what happens.  You could interpret it many ways.   The whole thing where Jesus rises from the grave and contacts his disciples and lives for another 40 days until he ascends is a different thing altoghether.   That was supposed proof of him being the Messiah.

I thought I recalled him dying when Jesus was relatively young, or at least before his mission.  But I'm too lazy now to confirm it!
   Not that it matters anyways.   He really didn't pass out invitations to his crucifixion.

Tell that to Paul, who argued rather the reverse!
Paul was not for some laws, but not the entire law was to be forsaken.  He did make leniency in the whole eating of pork thing.  He appealed to Gentiles and make concessions to do so.  If he didn't then we wouldn't have some of the problems that we have now.   Israel would not exist for one.

Which means it is Christian doctrine, nothing more; it is part-and-parcel of supercessionist theology to take a concept like the Law, which was Jewish, and add things to it on the basis of belief that one man was somehow also G-d.  And I'm sorry, but the notion of 'turning the other cheek' is definitely not present in Judaism.  Quite the opposite, in fact!  ;)
Yeah the Jews didn't mind taking revenge, which is definitely what humans would do in their own nature.   Forgiveness is a theme in a good deal of what Jesus preaches.  I agree with that more actually, even thought it seems close to impossible to do so.

Exactly so.  I do not even think there is justification based on the synoptic gospels for believing in Jesus' divinity.  Really, I do not think there is any justification, coming from the pre-Pauline Scriptures and the history, for believing that a man could be also G-d.  But if you read the Bible through pagan eyes, such things become more possible.
The Messiah isn't supposed to be a Son of God?  David was a child of God as well, but Jesus was to be directly linked to God as an extension (being Jews).   It is like God putting his hand on earth in a mortal sense and sending it to hell to pay for the sins of humanity.   This symbolic theme is just God's way of saying he forgives us for not keeping his laws and wants us to forgive ourselves.   Then we are to change our ways and try to be more like Jesus as we live our lives.  That is the religious way of thinking.   I am not a religious person, I am more a spiritual person.   I basically despise most everything to do with religion especially the more organized aspects.

But I am not taking about a 'simulation', but rather duplication of the same effects and feelings.  How is one to tell the difference between an 'experience of G-d' that is caused by a naturally-occurring brain misfire and one triggered by an experimental misfire?
You are speaking of a placebo effect almost.   Of course any sensation or feeling that humans can experience can be duplicated eventually through science and technology (manipulating the brain).   I wouldn't be surprised with people developing virtual reality that they would try to do such things.   I watched the Matrix too many times.

It is of the essence of delusion to make such distinctions.  We humans cannot, in fact, determine the genuine reality of any of our sensations, we can only go on the basis of neurological impulses.  I have no way of knowing that my childhood memory of seeing ghostly images on the Queen Mary is indicative of real apparitions or a youthful and imaginative brain misfiring.  When proof is absent, I fall back on Hume's maxim.
That is your rationalization for my experience.  Unfortunately it wasn't like that.   I have seen things that I thought were real before but uncertain about them late on.   I often hear voices and music that is perceived to be in the next room or downstairs.   I open the door and run downstairs to see where the noise is coming from.   I often think the house is haunted.   That isn't even a fraction as realistic as the voice I heard.   Very scary shit that made me look to see if someone was piping noise into my apartment.  Feel free to criticize my insane and pretty much delisional nature.  I love it, as such things make life much less mundane.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2007, 10:43:44 PM »
The Old Testament or Torah has been bastardized just as much if not more by people with agendas than any other religious document.   It is all a joke.   I am no absolutist, there is no almost no absolute truth in this world.     The Son of God was always at his right hand according to scripture.   Do I really believe that, or more importantly do I really care?   The message of Jesus is what I care more about.   I don't take all of it either, just what I find to be useful.   I am not a religious person at all.
What an interesting turn this makes!  I can almost relate to the statements above, esp. as regards the message(s) of Jesus (who does seem to have been a great fellow) and the lack of absolute truth (or, as I might put it, knowledge).

Well there are Jews out there who disagree with you, if you really looked into it.   Your assumptions about their education is also very laughable.
Of course there are.  I have two acquaintances and one friend who call themselves Messianic Jews.  And I wasn't so much making an assumption as referencing a statistic; I've seen studies of messianic movements in Judaism, and those that take on a Christian character (i.e., look to Jesus) seem to be most persuasive to Jews without a strong background in Jewish history and theology, such as those raised in a secular environment.

Thats great that you have a religion I guess.   You obviously take it very seriously and are not held back by any of its principles at the same time.   That of course is my assumption.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.  To clarify, my personal identification with Judaism is cultural, not religious; I have no faith in the supernatural whatsoever.

... Why believe that humans need a divine 'saviour' in the first place?
Because I believe humans to be absolute shit and truly deserving of death.   They need a whole lot of help even if a God didn't exist and there was no afterlife.   We are all asses, regardless of religion, race or any other division.   I am included.  Jesus at least offers forgiveness and a chance to improve yourself.   Trying to pretend that you are doing good enough to keep all the laws really is still not being perfect.   Striving for improvement is the key factor, otherwise I am just "treading water" so to speak to avoid drowning.
At times I think I really share your misanthropy.  This is a constant battle in my life--between looking at the extraordinary foolishness of man and dreaming of his potential.  Most of the time my cynicism wins out, but that would still not be enough for me to want supernatural help.

Personally, I find comfort in studies that place us within our natural context, as I find it easier to accept human stupidity when the line separating us from the rest of the animals is not artificially enhanced.  That is, I find it easier to deal with people precisely because I do not believe in a soul or a G-d.  If humans really are the special little creatures the Bible says, I'd say the whole planet is probably fucked...  :laugh:

That [Elijah] is who John the Baptist was thought to represent, the person who was announcing the coming of the Messiah (Jesus).  Do you really believe that the faithful dead will reawaken literally and that a heaven on earth will occur just for Jews?   Such exclusion based solely on lineage is ridiculous to say the least.
Do I believe it?  Hell no!  But to answer your criticism, I don't think an exclusion based on Jewishness is any less or more ridiculous than one based on faith in a dead Jewish rabbi being the incarnation of G-d...  ;)  As a life-long Pyrrhonhist, I can't stand the idea of any sort of claim to universal truth.

The Bible isn't taken seriously by most Christians, only by those pushing an agenda.
I think you're wrong on that account.  Polls of Americans consistently show outrageously strong popular support for such ideas as special creation, the Noachian flood, and End Times prophecy.  The evangelical movement is the fastest-growing segment of Christianity; indeed, one can almost say the only significant growth area, as membership of 'traditional' denominations like Anglicanism is in a steep nosedive.

Exactly so.  Slavery is just a given to Paul; just a natural way of life.  The unquestioning acceptance of slavery rings out as an endorsement and justification to my ears... especially when taken in context (e.g., metaphorically making all believers into slaves).
Well there is more accepting of slavery in the good Old Testament and the Torah.   Actually it does nothing at all to condemn it despite what changes that have been made later on.   Those changes are obviously seen as after the fact and a bastardization of the original texts.   Comprimise if you will.
I'm not sure I understand this comment either.  Both the Hebrew and Christian Bibles endorse slavery; I certainly never meant to imply otherwise.

... Of course you don't believe that God designed heaven or hell for humans or really that kind of afterlife.
That's not really the point.  I've never believed in any kind of afterlife, because the idea has never seemed appealing to me.  But as my position is fairly uncommon, it's usually much more interesting to talk about anyone else's views of the afterlife!  ;D

You are making a doctrinal justification for breaking one of the mitzvoth; if this was his 'purpose, then his purpose did not involve keeping the Law perfectly, did it?
Many Jewish men were not of the purpose to have children, some are incapable.   Jesus was going to die, not be a father raising children with a wife.   Sacrificial lamb, not one made for procreating.
All perfectly reasonable statements, and I completely agree with you.  My original point here was to take issue with the belief that Jesus was the only one who kept all of the Law.  Whilst I have no doubt that he was a very righteous man who kept all of the mitzvoth to the best of his ability, I see no reason to presume that he kept it all perfectly, or that no-one else has ever done as well as he.

Tell that to Paul, who argued rather the reverse!
Paul was not for some laws, but not the entire law was to be forsaken.  He did make leniency in the whole eating of pork thing.  He appealed to Gentiles and make concessions to do so.  If he didn't then we wouldn't have some of the problems that we have now.   Israel would not exist for one.
Now I'm really lost.

Paul's mission was to the Gentiles--the pagans of the Roman world--and he did not make any requirement that they convert to, or accept, Hallachah (the Jewish Law).  This was in contrast to James's original strategy: the belief that to be 'saved' one needed to be Jewish.  Once you remove the requirement for Jewishness, what use have you for the Law?  Why would a pagan adopt any part of it not specifically called for by Pauline Christianity?

On the other hand, Paul seems to have thought that Jews who accepted Jesus should keep to the Law, but that's a very special case, and one that quickly ceased to be relevant (as Christianity only really grew outside of Judaism).

But what do you mean about "problems that we have now", and about Israel?  Which 'problems'?

Forgiveness is a theme in a good deal of what Jesus preaches.  I agree with that more actually, even thought it seems close to impossible to do so.
I'm quite fond of forgiveness and universal love, too, but I'd never make a hard rule about it.  I do not think that folks like Iosef Stalin or, umm, Michael Vick(!) should be endlessly forgiven and set loose to cause more harm...

Exactly so.  I do not even think there is justification based on the synoptic gospels for believing in Jesus' divinity.  Really, I do not think there is any justification, coming from the pre-Pauline Scriptures and the history, for believing that a man could be also G-d.  But if you read the Bible through pagan eyes, such things become more possible.
The Messiah isn't supposed to be a Son of God?  David was a child of God as well, but Jesus was to be directly linked to God as an extension (being Jews).   It is like God putting his hand on earth in a mortal sense and sending it to hell to pay for the sins of humanity...
Oh, no!  This is a common misunderstanding, though, and I've often heard Christians argue that Jesus was killed because he called himself the Messiah--but this was no crime in Judaism!  There have been dozens of Messiahs in Jewish history, and none of them have ever been considered divine.  Except for Jesus, of course, but as I am suggesting that idea came from the pagan world.

You are speaking of a placebo effect almost...
Hmmm.  Well, the description 'placebo' makes the assumption that there is a 'real' effect and one that is counterfeited by science.  I am more inclined to think that the effects were always natural, but I can see your point.

That is your rationalization for my experience.  Unfortunately it wasn't like that... 
Oh, not at all!  That was an example from my life to illustrate a general point, not a suggestion that your experience was similar.  I am merely suggesting to you that phenomena which we perceive to be supernatural in origin (and 'perception' can come from any sense or no senses at all) are not necessarily so, and there may be a more logical explanation for them.  Sort of an Ockham's Razor type of argument, if I may be permitted the cliché.
Feel free to criticize my insane and pretty much delisional nature.  I love it, as such things make life much less mundane.
I don't think you are any more delusional than I am, or any other human for that matter.  At least, I have no sensible grounds to make such a judgement of you!  My comment is a general one; the human brain is constantly giving us incomplete or faulty data, and as the mind is a causal machine, some of this data can be interpreted in a supernatural sense.  The 'delusions' are a part of normal brain function; it is the interpretations that I frequently take issue with.