Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106461 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2007, 03:22:14 PM »

I finally installed Audacity on this computer early in the week and, last night, I updated my mobo drivers without fucking up Windows. (wow, it reads my processor speed in three places, now ... yeah! It no longer says 1.6gH - it says 1.667gH. I feel better already!) I had to update the Radeon set, also. Now, maybe I can install the better soundcard I have. I'll give that a try, again, later tonight.

Today, I've been enjoying the fact that it still works, after all that, and I have encoded fourteen vinyl albums from the box that I started cleaning up, yesterday. From the Vinyl to the Needle to the Hard Drive ... I think EAC works better, but maybe I'm not using Audacity right, yet.

Anyone else try this? Any suggestions?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2007, 03:32:20 PM »
I'm back to listening to John Lennon. Give peace a chance.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2007, 03:55:22 PM »

I finally installed Audacity on this computer early in the week and, last night, I updated my mobo drivers without fucking up Windows. (wow, it reads my processor speed in three places, now ... yeah! It no longer says 1.6gH - it says 1.667gH. I feel better already!) I had to update the Radeon set, also. Now, maybe I can install the better soundcard I have. I'll give that a try, again, later tonight.

Today, I've been enjoying the fact that it still works, after all that, and I have encoded fourteen vinyl albums from the box that I started cleaning up, yesterday. From the Vinyl to the Needle to the Hard Drive ... I think EAC works better, but maybe I'm not using Audacity right, yet.

Anyone else try this? Any suggestions?

I can't say I've used Audacity for encoding anything other than my own projects. I know EAC has an excellent reputation and have installed it for my own Windows ripping, but haven't tried it yet.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »
 EAC rips better than anything I've tried, although it's not very fast. I have had it actually correct slight "read errors", that stump Nero, Roxy, Winamp, and Foobar with very little residue. It works great. And it will burn supposedly bit-perfect copies.

I'm doing needledrops and I'm wondering if there's a better way, than Audacity or EAC for audio capture.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 01:46:51 AM »

Rockin' out with some Ten Years After.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 10:19:24 AM »
This is so weird, but I love it.

duncvis

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
Weird is often surprisingly good.  :eyebrows:

Drowning out the kids with some Skinny Puppy. :headbang:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 11:24:49 PM »

Jimi Hendrix, "Rainbow Bridge" on vinyl.
This one, I need to re-rip. It was one of the first ones I ever did and I used a shitty compression, because I didn't know what I was doing. Even second generation and at 192k the old LP mix and tonality is far better than the cd rips I've done, but it's low-res and it irritates the roots of my teeth.

I also need to come up with a better nickname for a needledrop than rip. I don't mind ripping CDs, because that what your supposed to do with them, but I hate to think of ripping a treasured vinyl LP.

duncvis

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2007, 02:38:13 AM »
I also need to come up with a better nickname for a needledrop than rip. I don't mind ripping CDs, because that what your supposed to do with them, but I hate to think of ripping a treasured vinyl LP.

Peeling? Tracing, maybe?  ???

Waking up with Juno Reactor - Bible of Dreams. It's slightly more laidback/less clattery than some of the later stuff. Good morning shit.  8)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2007, 09:03:26 AM »
An incredible talent has recently died. Italian/American composer, Giancarlo Menotti, probably best known for his, "Ahmal and the Night Visitors", which is a modern opera with some comedy mixed in with a Christmas theme, which I have seen and it is suitable for all audiences, but he wrote many others, such as "The Consul," and "The Medium." (had to look up the names of others I have seen, but he has done so many)

He was also an individual supporter of the arts, in general through his work with a number of universities along with his appearances at youth oriented Renaissance festivals, (I did not know him, I knew of him through my father, but his youth work is where I can draw parallels with him) and will not be forgotten in his circle of influence anytime, soon. I can't find any evidence that his later work has been recorded, yet, or even performed, publicly. Quite a shame!

Quote from: Menotti Obituary
Gian Carlo Menotti: Renaissance Man Of The Theater ...
... Not to be missed, is a cycle of madrigal-like choral pieces called, "The Unicorn, the Gorgon, and the Manticore," in an almost rennaissance vocal style, though strongly influenced by the kind of harmony one would expect to hear in the music of Prokofief, Stravinsky, or Honegger, et al.

Staying with the Hendrix marathon, today.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:22:52 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2007, 11:23:30 AM »

Hendrix, "Isle Of Man" vinyl. This shit rrrocks!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2007, 12:05:01 PM »

The only problem with vinyl is that I get more excersize than I want, during listening. One last before I brave the public.

Hendrix, "In The West".  Live concert, again, in his prime.

I think I scared everyone out of here with a mention of a dead operetic composer, I have admired. Oh, well ...

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2007, 03:17:50 PM »

Kids are home, now, so they each get a pick. My daughter chose, the Beatles, "Let It Be" CD.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2007, 06:18:27 PM »

My son chose Miles Davis, "Kind Of Blue", but now it's my turn and I'm continuing with Hendrix, "Axis: Bold As Love".

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2007, 08:13:52 PM »

Fabulous Thunderbirds. I have several.