Author Topic: This has made my night.  (Read 465 times)

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
This has made my night.
« on: May 10, 2020, 05:10:14 PM »
Was scrolling through YouTube as usual and this is what I came across. For those who you were wrestling fans in the late 90s, this would make sense to you.

The Simpsons - Raw is War

The Simpsons - Smack down

Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: This has made my night.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 07:57:58 PM »
 :lol1:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 12:12:27 AM »
I love the Simpsons too.

Wrestling back in the 80s and 90s was much better as well.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 04:49:38 AM »
I love the Simpsons too.

Wrestling back in the 80s and 90s was much better as well.

Definitely, this was before wrestlers had to keep the fact that it was fake and kept their characters regardless of they were inside or outside the ring.

They went PG around the 2000s (referring to now known WWE) and it's pretty much now men acting in their underwears and exaggerated storylines. But hey, this is targeting a younger audience.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 05:06:02 AM »
I can't watch it now, it's a stupid soap opera.

It used to be all about the huge, larger than life characters.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
I met Hulk Hogan once in the late 80's at a wrestling event. I ran into him (literally) as I was rounding a corner downtown to go to an event and he had just arrived. (It was like hitting a brick wall). That was back when they had people like Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant, Jimmy Snuka, The Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage etc. That's when I was really into wrestling.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 07:57:24 PM »
I met Hulk Hogan once in the late 80's at a wrestling event. I ran into him (literally) as I was rounding a corner downtown to go to an event and he had just arrived. (It was like hitting a brick wall). That was back when they had people like Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant, Jimmy Snuka, The Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage etc. That's when I was really into wrestling.

I would have been so intrigued to see what Andre the giant looked like if I was standing right next to this giant? Hulk Hogan is pretty tall too, back when most these wrestlers really looked like bodybuilders.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:22:58 PM »
The wrestlers tended to overstate their height by a few inches. Andre was a true giant, around 7 feet tall (not the 7'5" or whatever he was billed at). Hulk Hogan was around 6'5" but obviously combine that with the amount of muscle on him and his natural build and he was an enormous dude.

Those guys did enormous damage to themselves with the stunts they pulled.

I liked those characters like the Iron Sheikh, Hercules Hernandez, Rick Rude. Even Hulk Hogan refused to wrestle Rick Rude, who was an arm wrestling champion as well and immensely strong and a bit psycho.

This is my favourite pic of Andre:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 01:38:05 AM »
Very very true.

I had an Iron Sheikh wrestling figurine when I was little. lol
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 07:25:39 AM »
I watched during the Attitude Era. It was one of the main reasons we got satellite TV, so we could watch it on....was it on Fox Sports? I can't remember. Then Smackdown became a thing soon after but that was on a channel in another pay TV package.

I tried to get back into it for a while in 2014 and subscribed to the WWE Network, but I got caught up in all the non-kayfabe stuff (bookers, jobbers, all the ones I hate getting pushed etc) and got frustrated.

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 08:45:11 AM »
The wrestlers tended to overstate their height by a few inches. Andre was a true giant, around 7 feet tall (not the 7'5" or whatever he was billed at). Hulk Hogan was around 6'5" but obviously combine that with the amount of muscle on him and his natural build and he was an enormous dude.

Those guys did enormous damage to themselves with the stunts they pulled.

I liked those characters like the Iron Sheikh, Hercules Hernandez, Rick Rude. Even Hulk Hogan refused to wrestle Rick Rude, who was an arm wrestling champion as well and immensely strong and a bit psycho.

This is my favourite pic of Andre:

Holy crap, he literally takes up 2 seats.  :zombiefuck:
But you know, he was basically undefeated for a number of matches up until Hulk Hogan defeated him for the champion title iirc.

I watched during the Attitude Era. It was one of the main reasons we got satellite TV, so we could watch it on....was it on Fox Sports? I can't remember. Then Smackdown became a thing soon after but that was on a channel in another pay TV package.

I tried to get back into it for a while in 2014 and subscribed to the WWE Network, but I got caught up in all the non-kayfabe stuff (bookers, jobbers, all the ones I hate getting pushed etc) and got frustrated.

Same, that was when I started getting into wrestling. The attitude era was what got me hooked on the first place, also bare in mind during that time, they were in competition with the then WCW in terms of ratings up until WCW was failing and crashing and then was later bought back by WWE.

The attitude era was started by what was known as the Montreal screwjob which you should check up which unfortunately Bret Hart was screwed over in a match against Shawn Michaels.

I think I've stopped watching from around 2005, I also tried watching it around 2015, yep, almost the same problem but watched it through YouTube. I didn't see the point subscribing to the WWE network.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »
That's not photoshopped? The size of his skull alone seems implausible.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »
No it's not. I saw him up close at an event once. It was jaw dropping.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 03:52:18 PM »
He was a genuine giant.

He was in so much pain from health problems related to his gigantism that he would drink enormous amounts of booze to numb the pain.

He was billed at 500 pounds but nobody knew how heavy he really was. He was most likely heavier than that.

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 04:27:38 PM »
He was a genuine giant.

He was in so much pain from health problems related to his gigantism that he would drink enormous amounts of booze to numb the pain.

He was billed at 500 pounds but nobody knew how heavy he really was. He was most likely heavier than that.

Very likely much heavier and there was also a incident where he had drunk about 156 beers in one sitting.

That's just nuts. Nobody's body could even cope with that much, unless your Andre the giant.