Author Topic: Australian pubs  (Read 771 times)

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Australian pubs
« on: August 19, 2018, 03:16:29 AM »
Just taking a look at Australian pubs on Flickriver.  Some appear mainly like bars - very brash.  It's all lager and that.  Some of the ones in more rural towns look quite smart though, like this place in NSW.  In fact, the grand ones look quite ornate, a little bit like something out of a Western.  In fact, many look more like banks or corner shops rather than pubs with their bright banners and so on.

Australian pubs really can't be compared to their British equivalent it seems, they need to be taken on their own terms.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Australian pubs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 04:40:30 AM »
You won't find too many of those room temperature beers is Straya. It's almost entirely lager. Served as cold as possible.

I guess the pubs around The Rocks in Sydney would be about as close as you'd get in terms of style and atmosphere to English pubs. Some are pushing 200 years old. That's old for here.

Some pubs have a small range of ciders, even one or two on tap. And craft beers are increasingly a thing too.

“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 06:10:09 AM »
Quote from: Minister of silly walks
You won't find too many of those room temperature beers is Straya. It's almost entirely lager. Served as cold as possible.

Cask just wouldn't be a thing in Australia I'd imagine?  It's too hot for that.  Might be a goer in New Zealand, where the temperature is colder.  I'm thinking of The Twisted Hop in Christchurch and so on.

Quote from: Minister of silly walks
Some pubs have a small range of ciders, even one or two on tap. And craft beers are increasingly a thing too.

Yes - I saw that some pubs have Bulmers on tap.  I was actually looking at a fish and chip shop frontage, and it looks really retro.  I can't remember the name or anything because there wasn't one there.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 06:11:05 AM »
http://heroofwaterloo.com.au/

most of the older pubs around Sydney, or any other capital city in Australia for that matter, are based on English architecture. Sydney, and most other cities basically have a traditional looking pub pretty much on every second corner. Even in the inner suburbs around Sydney.

English architecture doesn't suit our Summer climate in most places in Australia. Hence why more modern pubs/bars/hotels that have been built more recently, are more casual / indoor outdoor, with decks. Makes more sense in our climate than English Architecture overall.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:28:34 AM by Eclair »

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 06:12:39 AM »
Now that is nice!

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 06:53:41 AM »
The only pubs in Sydney CBD I've been to are the Lord Nelson and some other pub nearby, the Australian Heritage I think.
Me and and my first BF were together at the time and I remember his friend sneaking out a full schooner under his jacket. We ended up at Jacksons On George. It was a pretty ordinary night lol.

Yes, every pub in country Australia looks EXACTLY like that one in Narrabri. You'd be hard pressed to find one with the original decor though. Most have been 'revamped' inside to look a bit bland and contemporary (usually when new owners take over). I can understand why they do it though, especially if the pub had a prior reputation of being seedy or rough.
Funnily enough we have no really old pubs left in my town, the oldest was built in the art deco era.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 07:10:32 AM »
Funnily enough we have no really old pubs left in my town, the oldest was built in the art deco era.

I love Art Deco buildings! Do you have any pics?

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 07:22:30 AM »

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 08:38:34 AM »
What's the beer like in the pubs?  I've had Victoria Bitter and Foster's (though I know you don't drink that stuff there), as well as Little Creatures Pale Ale.  I'd really like a pint of Old - you can get it online, but it works out at £4.80 a pint if I were to get it online.  It probably costs about that much in a pub in Australia.

Might be more cost effective to get the Tooheys Dark Ale kit - that works out at 37p a pint.  I wouldn't know the difference anyway.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:40:13 AM by Tequila »

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 09:05:05 AM »
The only pubs in Sydney CBD I've been to are the Lord Nelson and some other pub nearby, the Australian Heritage I think.

Ooh, very posh.  I'm impressed.  Originally the post was badly worded and probably quite insulting.  I had to get someone to run an eye over it.  I understand it's a very sensitive subject for us.

I know some Aussies living slag Britain off a bit, and that's alright, but there comes a point when it's not family.  We'd say "if you don't like it that much go back there".  And that would be alright.  Same thing with you there no doubt.

Me and and my first BF were together at the time and I remember his friend sneaking out a full schooner under his jacket. We ended up at Jacksons On George. It was a pretty ordinary night lol.

Looks like there's some decent ale on.  A pint of Old Admiral for me.

Yes, every pub in country Australia looks EXACTLY like that one in Narrabri.

That's a bit of a pisstake.  I can tell.  Some of them look nice, others less so.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 04:20:16 PM »
I went to an Irish pub in Sydney when I last went there. The food was unreal. Best Roast Beef and gravy meal I ever had
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
I went to an Irish pub in Sydney when I last went there. The food was unreal. Best Roast Beef and gravy meal I ever had

You have me intrigued.  Can you supply the name of the joint so I can look it up on TripAdvisor?  Privately, if you'd prefer.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »
Aussie beers in England are brewed in England and taste very little like their Aussie namesakes.

I would hazard a guess that 95% at least of beer drunk in Australia is lager.

Do English pubs still ask if you want ice in your lager?
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »
Aussie beers in England are brewed in England and taste very little like their Aussie namesakes.

I'm well aware of this.  I had imported VB and that was OK.

I would hazard a guess that 95% at least of beer drunk in Australia is lager.

About half of all beer drunk in the UK is lager.

Do English pubs still ask if you want ice in your lager?

No, but it is ice cold.  That said, there are some genuinely good lagers out there, but you have to search for them.  They don't have them at the pub.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 06:15:42 PM »
In 1998 I was working in Essex and there was a pub called "Culpeppers" that the guys from work would go to at lunchtime.

The tap beer tasted horrible. Someone told me that it was because they didn't clean the pipes and that one should always order bottled beer there.

So one warm summer day I ordered a Heineken, in the bottle. I knew they had Heineken because there was a shelf behind the bar with a couple of bottles of Heineken on it.

The bartender reached around and gave me one of the Heinekens off the shelf. At room temperature, which was about 27 degrees celsius.

I asked if he had any cold beer, he pointed to an ice bucket at the end of the bar. I took a look in the ice bucket and there were about 2 tiny ice cubes that hadn't quite melted yet, in a pool of water.

So I drank my warm lager. All part of the English experience I guess.

So they have refrigeration in the pubs nowadays? And cold beer? Might as well stay home then!!!