Educational

Author Topic: Australian pubs  (Read 769 times)

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Australian pubs
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 06:18:39 PM »
So they have refrigeration in the pubs nowadays? And cold beer? Might as well stay home then!!!

If the beer is warm, it's a bad bar.  Move on.  If the lager is in any way deficient, bad bar.  Forget them.  The point of lager is that it's constant.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »
In 1998/1999 it seemed like refrigeration was kind of a new concept in the UK.

I remember stopping at a petrol station on a hot day and thinking it would be nice to grab a coke from the fridge. I mean it looked exactly like the fridges we have at petrol stations in Australia, except it just a large glass cabinet for displaying drinks apparently. No refrigeration.

Same story in off licences (liquor stores). I remember going to an off licence and grabbing a few beers from the "fridge". Except it wasn't a fridge, of course, and the beer wasn't cold.

And a lot of pubs didn't have refrigeration. Beer pumped up from the cellar was usually a few degrees cooler than room temperature though.

I've heard that refrigeration has caught on now though.

Years ago in Australia there was a TV ad for a travel agency. There was a guy standing in front of a microwave, and the microwave went "ping" to indicate that the timer had finished. He opened the microwave and there was a large glass mug of beer in the microwave. He picked it up and took a swig... then couldn't keep it down and sprayed it out all over the kitchen.

Then the voiceover came on and said "Dreaming of England? Flights to London from....". 
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
In 1998/1999 it seemed like refrigeration was kind of a new concept in the UK.

This is what the fridges look like in one of the local pubs.

I remember stopping at a petrol station on a hot day and thinking it would be nice to grab a coke from the fridge. I mean it looked exactly like the fridges we have at petrol stations in Australia, except it just a large glass cabinet for displaying drinks apparently. No refrigeration.

Same story in off licences (liquor stores). I remember going to an off licence and grabbing a few beers from the "fridge". Except it wasn't a fridge, of course, and the beer wasn't cold.

And a lot of pubs didn't have refrigeration. Beer pumped up from the cellar was usually a few degrees cooler than room temperature though.

I've heard that refrigeration has caught on now though.

I very vaguely remember that.  I do remember being in my father's local in the mid-1990s and there being fridges then.  I remember they had wine upside-down in the fridge then too.

Years ago in Australia there was a TV ad for a travel agency. There was a guy standing in front of a microwave, and the microwave went "ping" to indicate that the timer had finished. He opened the microwave and there was a large glass mug of beer in the microwave. He picked it up and took a swig... then couldn't keep it down and sprayed it out all over the kitchen.

Then the voiceover came on and said "Dreaming of England? Flights to London from....". 

Ha ha ha ha ha!  LOL!  :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:00:28 PM by Tequila »

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »
If your father's local had refrigeration in the 1990s it must have been a pretty posh pub.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »
If your father's local had refrigeration in the 1990s it must have been a pretty posh pub.

I live in a middle class-ish town.  Local people lead by presence, not by threats and violence.  It's a safe place.  They get respect.  Don't piss people about or off, and you'll be greeted with smiles.

Can this please be moved?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:02:29 PM by Tequila »

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »
Aussie beers in England are brewed in England and taste very little like their Aussie namesakes.

I would hazard a guess that 95% at least of beer drunk in Australia is lager.

Do English pubs still ask if you want ice in your lager?

Maybe depends on the demographic. Ales are popular too. And craft beers are becoming more mainstream. From what I can tell, there's always some fad or another.

https://www.beercartel.com.au/blog/best-beers-in-australia-the-ultimate-top-50-beer-list-2017/

We tend to buy a bit of Heineken, Little Creatures, James Squire 150 Lashes...if we are entertaining as most people enjoy them. The last two are pale ales.

It's only my alcy relatives that drink lager all the time.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »
Aussie beers in England are brewed in England and taste very little like their Aussie namesakes.

I think part of that is also to do with climate and ingredient origins. I can cook the exact same recipe here in Australia, and have a different result depending on the season too. Same with things I cooked overseas. Heat, humidity levels affect so many things, even our taste as we are consuming them.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
My "95% lager" was way over. I forgot about Coopers which is very popular. When my friend was over from the UK recently he was drinking a slab of coopers in about 20 hours.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »

Nah, it's to do with them making them bad.  Industrial, gassy, an attack on the tastebuds.  A tremendously unattractive drinking proposition.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:06:46 AM by Tequila »

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 03:29:58 AM »
Maybe depends on the demographic. Ales are popular too. And craft beers are becoming more mainstream. From what I can tell, there's always some fad or another.

Many craft beers are ales.  There's some excellent-looking microbreweries in the major cities.  If you tell me where you are, chances are I could direct you to somewhere decent if you're Australian.  I could help with the bottle-o too, but I won't know Australian beer.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 05:07:20 AM »
My "95% lager" was way over. I forgot about Coopers which is very popular. When my friend was over from the UK recently he was drinking a slab of coopers in about 20 hours.

Have you tried the Coopers Dark Ale homebrewing kits?  What do you think?

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 05:38:54 AM »
I think home brewed beer is awesome.

I also know that I'm beer intolerant. Ciders all the way!!!

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 05:40:55 AM »

Many craft beers are ales.  There's some excellent-looking microbreweries in the major cities.  If you tell me where you are, chances are I could direct you to somewhere decent if you're Australian.  I could help with the bottle-o too, but I won't know Australian beer.

Thanks Tequila. I am quite OK at using Google myself, plus I travel around Australia for work, it's all good. Besides, I personally don't drink beer.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 05:47:55 AM »
Thanks Tequila. I am quite OK at using Google myself

You're a bit stuck-up?

RateBeer is where it's at.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 08:00:46 AM »

https://www.beercartel.com.au/blog/best-beers-in-australia-the-ultimate-top-50-beer-list-2017/

Jesus tapdancing Christ!! half of those "top 50 beers" are IPA's!  :thumbdn:  :puke:  IPA's taste like you're sucking on a pine tree.

We tend to buy a bit of Heineken, Little Creatures, James Squire 150 Lashes...if we are entertaining as most people enjoy them. The last two are pale ales.

Pale Ale is one of my favorite styles, provided that they aren't too hoppy.

Heineken and Stella Artois are white trash beers, basically the PBR of Europe.