Educational

Author Topic: No Spanking Laws  (Read 10640 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: No Spanking Laws
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
Really hope some naughty person comes forward now who got the isolation treatment!  I *need* to know what goes on in there now! It's a wonder it has never been the source of a good book or film. :laugh:
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2013, 10:45:16 AM »
This is what Callaway said about them. Seeing now it wasn't learned from her; not sure where.

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,16916.30.html

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
If I remember correctly, there was this Jewish school who used shock treatment (irony) on their special needs students.
We had a discussion about it her in 2006. Somewhere.  Probably in the AS advocacy section.
Misunderstood.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »
From the childs POV  they will learn that you can hit people who are smaller than you!
:agreed:

Once saw a mother "play" with her kid. Spanking play. She slapped the kid, not hard, no pain, but the movement was there. And the kid was supposed to like it. The moment the kid, a toddler, mimicked his mum, and did to her what she did to him, she told him he was not allowed to do that, because he was just a kid.

I turned out completely wild of course, because of lack of physical punishment.  :hyke:
My kids will turn out just as feral.
Kids hurt themselves enough, when going in the wrong. No need to ad to that with a smack.

My kids did not learn that lesson.
Nor did they turn out traumatised for it.
Nor did they pick on other kids on that basis.

So I am not sure, how them being the recipients of smacks on the bottom when they were naughty, relates to the above. It does not sound causal as it seems to be framed? Is it supposed to be?

I was not talking about your kids. Plenty of kids have had a smack on the bottom and turned out OK.

Have only once see someone do what I described, and I was quite abhorred by it. The mother actively taught her sons that hitting is allowed when you are bigger and have more power. It was as a cartoonesque show of how hitting does have to do with power. Those boys did turn out quite feral on the playground btw.

Of course, disciplining my kids has to do with power too. In the end, I am the parent, and sometimes that is the only reason they have to comply with what I say. Discussion about that can be done later, when heads have cooled and the night is over.

Disciplining differs a lot per kid. For my youngest, I have to let her rage, calm down, realise what she has done, apologise, and, then I let her think up a punishment for herself. She is very harsh on herself, so, I take away a chunk of her punishment, and make half of what is left probational. Works well. For the oldest that would not work at all.

Growling, yes, I do growl, my kids growl at me too, now and then. As long as we can talk and get back to normal, that is OK. They have to learn to defend themselves. And, I as a parent, do make mistakes. Nothing wrong with my kids realising that. They make mistakes too, and I love them no less for that.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
Yes i see what you are saying Elle.

I went on a triple p parenting course in Jan and interestingly one of the things the tutor said was  "back in the days when we used to hit our children"   I just had a quick look and i can't find one course in the UK that advocates physical punishments like smacking.

The UN Human Rights Act promotes that children ought to have the same rights as adults, and that would mean a ban on smacking.
some mid west pastor writes books on parenting.  He has come under a lot of fire lately for children dying because of his methods.

I wish I remembered the name.

That guy advising not to feed a crying infant, because the crying infant is not respecting its parent?

Forgot his name too, and the name of the movement he was in. Worldwide footage in the papers about that couple of years ago.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2013, 12:31:24 PM »
My dad smacked me when I was a toddler, I reacted totally different from the effect wanted. :laugh:
He had hated doing the smacking. So, he found other ways to discipline me.

When he told about the times he got smacked or beaten with a rod as a kid, he only remembered one just beating, the others he remembered had been unfair, and that had made a way bigger impression on him.
His dad apologising to him, after an unjust beating did do him a lot of good though. Also because his dad changed his smacking policy afterwards. The teacher and his rod at school, my dad never got over hating that man and his unjust ways.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2013, 01:28:25 PM »
This is what Callaway said about them. Seeing now it wasn't learned from her; not sure where.

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,16916.30.html

:o that gave me goose bumps on my arms,  that is more awful than i had imagined. 
blah blah blah

Offline El-Presidente

• Caliph of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Postwhore
  • I love kitties! Fluffy kitties are nice!!
    • ASD Community
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
Yes i see what you are saying Elle.

I went on a triple p parenting course in Jan and interestingly one of the things the tutor said was  "back in the days when we used to hit our children"   I just had a quick look and i can't find one course in the UK that advocates physical punishments like smacking.

The UN Human Rights Act promotes that children ought to have the same rights as adults, and that would mean a ban on smacking.
some mid west pastor writes books on parenting.  He has come under a lot of fire lately for children dying because of his methods.

I wish I remembered the name.

That guy advising not to feed a crying infant, because the crying infant is not respecting its parent?

Forgot his name too, and the name of the movement he was in. Worldwide footage in the papers about that couple of years ago.

His name is Gary Ezzo and he is an evil prick. Babies have died because of his methods, I'm amazed the sale of his book hasn't been outlawed.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
My kids slept through the night from 4 and 5 weeks on. No need for the methods of that man.

Offline El-Presidente

• Caliph of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Postwhore
  • I love kitties! Fluffy kitties are nice!!
    • ASD Community
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
My kids slept through the night from 4 and 5 weeks on. No need for the methods of that man.

My daughter started sleeping through the night by herself too.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »

My daughter started sleeping through the night by herself too.

How old is she?

* heading off to question thread now *

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2013, 03:41:25 PM »
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/kyshia-cammock-fired-little-folks-3211029

Going back to earlier this is a story about a woman who lost her job because she smacked her own child.  This is absurd and very stupid but it is a sign  of the times.

Also, it is not uncommon for people to report to social services (in spite) such incidents and they then have a duty to investigate.  An investigation entails unannounced spot checks at school and at home and questioning your child.  In other words -  hassle!
blah blah blah

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »
I don't know. Is it just me BUT when they too, use the framing of child abuse or murdering rates and corporal punishment....it kind of feels (tell me I am wrong by all means) that they may be throwing in spanking a child's bottom with hitting , beating and bloody murder. i am trying not to be biased or sensitive over this but when they say that since introducing anti-spanking laws there has been less deaths...it kind of points to spanking being related to deaths?

Does spanking a child (giving three controlled smacks on the bottom for bad behaviour for example cause death? No bottoms falling off or heart attacks or anything? No, no then what? Oh these particular people smacked their kids but ALSO did stuff that ought to be banned like beating them senseless. Was it smacking bottoms or beating them senseless that killed the children? Money on the later.
Was there research into their own methods or questions about their effectiveness or their preferred parenting method? I did not see it in the article.

Sounds a little slanted...more than a little.

It's not what they are saying, though, mate. Not what they are saying at all, as far as I can see.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
I don't know. Is it just me BUT when they too, use the framing of child abuse or murdering rates and corporal punishment....it kind of feels (tell me I am wrong by all means) that they may be throwing in spanking a child's bottom with hitting , beating and bloody murder. i am trying not to be biased or sensitive over this but when they say that since introducing anti-spanking laws there has been less deaths...it kind of points to spanking being related to deaths?

Does spanking a child (giving three controlled smacks on the bottom for bad behaviour for example cause death? No bottoms falling off or heart attacks or anything? No, no then what? Oh these particular people smacked their kids but ALSO did stuff that ought to be banned like beating them senseless. Was it smacking bottoms or beating them senseless that killed the children? Money on the later.
Was there research into their own methods or questions about their effectiveness or their preferred parenting method? I did not see it in the article.

Sounds a little slanted...more than a little.

;)

Physically and mentally. Its happening.

What a shame. This was a nice thread and a good read, until you invoked Godwin's Law. Now it's over.

And yes, you'll probably defend your post and tell me how your post was appropriate and on topic, but then, they all do.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
If I remember correctly, there was this Jewish school who used shock treatment (irony) on their special needs students.
We had a discussion about it her in 2006. Somewhere.  Probably in the AS advocacy section.

Judge Rotenberg Educational Center

Cunts. >:(

- Albert Einstein