Educational

Author Topic: Cheat on your spouse in Michigan--get life in prison?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Cheat on your spouse in Michigan--get life in prison?
« on: January 20, 2007, 05:24:43 AM »
Life in prison for adultery?

DETROIT, United States (AFP) - Philanderers beware: spouses caught cheating in Michigan could end up spending the rest of their life in prison.

And not the emotional kind.

The state's appeals court recently ruled that extramarital flings can be prosecuted as first-degree criminal sexual conduct, a felony punishable by up to life in jail.

"We cannot help but question whether the Legislature actually intended the result we reach here today," Judge William Murphy wrote in a unanimous Court of Appeals panel, "but we are curtailed by the language of the statute from reaching any other conclusion."

"Technically," he added, "any time a person engages in sexual penetration in an adulterous relationship, he or she is guilty of CSC I," the most serious sexual assault charge in the state's criminal code.

Michigan still lists adultery as a felony, although no one has been convicted of the offense since 1971.

Nobody really expects prosecutors to go after cheating spouses. But the ruling has the local legal community twittering about its genuine intended target.

One theory floating around the courthouse is that the judges were taking a jab at the state Supreme Court, which has decreed that judges must interpret statutory language adopted by the Legislature literally, whatever the consequences.

Many other states allow judges to reject a literal interpretation if they believe it would lead to an absurd result.

Judge Murphy wrote that he encouraged "the Legislature to take a second look at the statutory language if they are troubled by our ruling."

Follow link for rest of article.

Litigious

Re: Cheat on your spouse in Michigan--get life in prison?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 05:57:20 AM »
Totally absurd. Cheating is bad, but no-one deserves lifetime in prison for it.

That thing with literary interpreting the law whatever the consequenses isn't a specific Michigan or US thing, though. Swedish courts usually do the same or they verdict "according to practice", that is, when a new law comes up, the first verdict where the new law is used sets the standard for all similar cases, no matter the circumstances. That has consequenses like for instance, that a person who kills a wolf to protect his cattle will usually get a harder punishment than someone beating up another human being. A wolf may only be shot if it's attacking cattle, not if it has done it 10 times before and just sneaks around the fence... ::)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:26:41 AM »
it is merely a continuation down a slippery slope.

there will come a time when people need to have permission, verified by notary and signatures of all people involved in order to have sex.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 09:21:28 AM »

there will come a time when people need to have permission, verified by notary and signatures of all people involved in order to have sex.

The sad thing is that you're probably right. And at that time, most people will be so tamed, lazy and cowardly that hardly anyone will resist the oppression.  :grrr:

Scrapheap

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 12:24:57 PM »

Have'nt you watched Chapell's show "Sex contract" skit??

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 12:27:07 PM »

Have'nt you watched Chapell's show "Sex contract" skit??

i am just thinking, "whew!  thank god i'm not out there."

on the plus side, cyber sex will becom all the rage.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 12:32:12 PM »

They'd better start teaching it in schools then cos there's going to be a lot of frustrated people if people don't learn how to do it right. :laugh:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »

They'd better start teaching it in schools then cos there's going to be a lot of frustrated people if people don't learn how to do it right. :laugh:

and in the 9th grade you get sex education.

in the tenth grade you get the practical advanced studies of cyber sex education.
Misunderstood.

driftingblizzard

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 01:55:35 PM »
Better to be penetrated by a cock than a bullet~

Scrapheap

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »
Better to be pissed off than pissed on!!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »
Better to be pissed off than pissed on!!

that is a matter of opinion.

just ask Lit.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 07:41:18 AM »

in the tenth grade you get the practical advanced studies of cyber sex education.

They could teach it as a form of abstinence  :laugh: Although how would they teach it without it feeling a little too much like child abuse on the part of the teacher who has to 'cyber' with them?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 11:15:40 AM »

They could teach it as a form of abstinence  :laugh: Although how would they teach it without it feeling a little too much like child abuse on the part of the teacher who has to 'cyber' with them?

they could put the girls on one side of the campus and the boys on the other side of the campus.

and simply hand out some pre arranged dialog.  then in the second semester of studies they could get the kids to wing it for themselves.

in the last quarter of studies, they could have them exchainge msn messenger or Aim accounts. instead of phone numbers.
Misunderstood.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »

they could put the girls on one side of the campus and the boys on the other side of the campus.

and simply hand out some pre arranged dialog.  then in the second semester of studies they could get the kids to wing it for themselves.

in the last quarter of studies, they could have them exchainge msn messenger or Aim accounts. instead of phone numbers.

Is mutual masturbation on webcam a university-level course?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »
At least nobody has be convicted since 1971 or there would be a lot of people in prison in Michigan. :eyebrows:
Guardian of the Empire