Educational

Author Topic: I've started going to Narcotics Anonymous  (Read 380 times)

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
I've started going to Narcotics Anonymous
« on: July 27, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »
I have an addictive personality. I was prone to getting on amphetamines regularly, was doing party drugs before then, and have had psychological dependency on weed for most of my life. The weed dependency, on top of some other factors, developed into full blown psychosis, and thereafter, always produced the same result - I'm simply unable to ingest it anymore. I was smoking a fair bit of it only recently, as I was under a court order to continue taking medication for psychosis - so I was like why the hell not continue, since the meds were keeping the psychosis in check. Once the court order was finished, I stopped smoking weed, in order to safely get off the medication, 'flupenthixol'.

Last Saturday, however, as I discovered coke for the first time in my life, I couldn't contain my excitement at having the chance to try this for the first time in my life, and I borrowed money from a mate to get it. The dealer stole my vaporizer (and the coke was a rip), but I found myself needing to visit a loan shark the following Monday, to repay my mate, who had lent out his food money for me to get it that night. I wasn't aware of this at the time I borrowed it, and felt bad for him, so that was enough good reason to lend the cash, plus I needed another vaporizer.

This same mate had some gear a while ago, and being that I have this tendency to crave it (especially while it's around), I was actually prepared to smoke part of his supply. Something happened that changed his mind, I think our mutual friend said something to him, and since I was still trying to avoid taking any, I didn't push the issue by asking for some. But then there was the night with coke on the table. I couldn't contain my excitement. So on with how this happened.

The same friend who "shouted" me coke, and who had the ice was looking for someone to attend his church with him, and since our mutual friend (who I mentioned earlier) isn't reliable in the way he says one thing and does another, was no longer prepared to attend church with him, I assured him that I would go instead. This suited both of us, as the two of us needed some time away from this other vocal friend of ours. And so I went, all the way to his church in another town, an hour long train ride toward Melbourne.

This church meeting was beneficial, as I started talking with some of the members there, I was encouraged to attend NA. Little did I know at the time, that the person who was encouraging me to go to NA was actually the guy running it, in that area. After church, I found out a little more about this from my friend, and he offered to attend with me, for support. So there I was, at NA, not sure whether I was an addict - still undecided on this point - but as a willing participant of the collective goals of individuals of the group. I'm hoping to improve my life, and stop masking my problems with drugs and alcohol.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: I've started going to Narcotics Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 08:10:58 PM »
That's fantastic. I've seen too many lives fucked up by drugs and alcohol so it's great to hear that you're doing something about it.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 08:29:35 PM »
:plus:

Good on you! :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 08:36:22 PM »
NA can work in reverse, people there are always relapsing and taking their NA friends with them.

See if you can find a drug rehab program that isn't based on 12 steping.

12 step programs have the same failure rate as going cold turkey on your own.

Do an internet search of NA and find pages that have accurate data of NA's failure rate, the truth is, for every person saved by them, anther one relapses with his fellow addicts.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 01:29:22 AM »
That's awesome. Good luck.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 01:35:21 AM »
NA can work in reverse, people there are always relapsing and taking their NA friends with them.

Do an internet search of NA and find pages that have accurate data of NA's failure rate, the truth is, for every person saved by them, anther one relapses with his fellow addicts.
Want to both agree and disagree. It may not be the program, but rather the people. Removing drugs from ones life also means removing easy access points, and thus disassociating from friendships, which is hard. Though do make a good point about meeting new people in recovery who could potentially become new points of access.

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 03:22:41 AM »
Thank you everyone, Minister of silly walks, renaeden, Alex DeLarge, and Jack for your supportive comments.

Means a lot!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 08:06:53 AM »
Well done, mate.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »
I hope this works out really well for you.  :)

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 08:37:02 AM »
My thanks to you both, as well, odeon, and Icequeen. My resolve for a better future is stronger than it has ever been. I feel like I can only reach greater heights from this point on. Much appreciation to all of you.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »
Hope they don't try to bombard you with 'higher power' dogbotherer religiose bullcrap as a condition of your attending.

Good  luck to you.

Wish I'd have known before you went to NA, and decided to quit that you had problems with unreliable scumbags though.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »

Want to both agree and disagree. It may not be the program, but rather the people. Removing drugs from ones life also means removing easy access points, and thus disassociating from friendships, which is hard. Though do make a good point about meeting new people in recovery who could potentially become new points of access.

12 Stepping itself is flawed, Penn & Teller have an episode of BULLSHIT! where they expose the flaws of 12 stepping. I tried to post a clip only to find that there are non on YouTube. Not sure why, there's clips from other episodes.   :dunno:

The biggest flaw with these programs is what I bolded, they meet more people who become points of access to more drugs so even if they break relationships with theirl old connections, they unwittingly make new ones. If you're an addict and you move into a new town and you don't know where to get dope just go to an NA meeting and you'll be high in a couple of hours.

Ok, I did a little searching and found the episode.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ifw05

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 10:20:33 AM »
Hope they don't try to bombard you with 'higher power' dogbotherer religiose bullcrap as a condition of your attending.

Good  luck to you.

Wish I'd have known before you went to NA, and decided to quit that you had problems with unreliable scumbags though.

Not sure what you mean exactly.

12 Stepping itself is flawed, Penn & Teller have an episode of BULLSHIT! where they expose the flaws of 12 stepping. I tried to post a clip only to find that there are non on YouTube. Not sure why, there's clips from other episodes.   :dunno:

The biggest flaw with these programs is what I bolded, they meet more people who become points of access to more drugs so even if they break relationships with theirl old connections, they unwittingly make new ones. If you're an addict and you move into a new town and you don't know where to get dope just go to an NA meeting and you'll be high in a couple of hours.

Ok, I did a little searching and found the episode.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ifw05

Moving to a new town doesn't change you, it's easy to get on, when you're experienced with getting on, ya know.

Thanks for episode, but since I'm following the 12 steps and am only up to step 2/3, I don't want to learn about them from entertainers - just yet.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 11:41:39 AM »

Good  luck to you.

The higher power doesn't have to be organized religion or even G_d.  It can be the power of the meeting.  Part of it is realizing that you're not in this journey alone.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »
Thanks for episode, but since I'm following the 12 steps and am only up to step 2/3, I don't want to learn about them from entertainers - just yet.

First of all, it's not just those two, they interview a dozen experts, from both sides, which is what they do with all of the subjects they cover. They also go to AA headquarters.

Second is the most important statistic that they dig up. Going cold turkey on your own has a 5% success rate. 12 stepping has a …   5% success rate.

Last, they recommend S.O.S. Secular Organization for Sobriety. Unfortunately they don't provide stats for their success rate.