Educational

Author Topic: Food for thought.  (Read 317 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Food for thought.
« on: July 27, 2018, 12:07:49 PM »
I wanted to start a thread for some serious discussion about the following article and felt it deserved one.  What do you think?   :apondering: or not!   :CanofWorms:  I just ask that personal jabs be kept to a minimum......if possible! 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/08/embark-essay-aggression-internet-twitter-human-nature/
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: Food for thought.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »
I tend to be similar to what I am online. There are some differences. I am not likely to express myself in a way that is likely to expose myself to harm. (ie I may risk a ban on a website which affects me little, for saying something terrible but in meatspace that same thing may get me fired, so I would tone it down in meatspace). BUT I am absolutely the guy that will growl at people for being arseholes. Take a full trolley load in the 12 items or less in the shops I will give you an ear full. Take or play with your mobile during a movie I will have a go. Try to bully, intimidate or get one over me in meatspace and I will give it back. Sarcasm and such will be met with the same.

It is really just a degree thing I think, for me.

But I have encountered Telephone tough guys and Internet Warriors before. They quite often do not back their rhetoric face to face.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 01:21:22 PM »
This article just got me thinking about our present situation with mdagli1 and also past forums that I belonged to.  I just thought it would make an interesting discussion and which way will it go.  I tend to be a reflective person and it takes a lot to get my blood roiling to the point I flat out get in people's faces irl.  But, I do tend to try to follow the path of least resistance and ignore shit if I decide it's not worth the energy to engage.  I do try to treat people with respect and kindness, unless otherwise shown that being a waste of time.  Then it's ignore and discard and walk away for me.  My temper does get the better of me from time to time.  And I have to focus on some the Buddhist practices that I am trying incorporate in my own life to get myself in balance again.  It's a struggle.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 01:33:08 PM »
I tend to be similar to what I am online. There are some differences. I am not likely to express myself in a way that is likely to expose myself to harm. (ie I may risk a ban on a website which affects me little, for saying something terrible but in meatspace that same thing may get me fired, so I would tone it down in meatspace). BUT I am absolutely the guy that will growl at people for being arseholes. Take a full trolley load in the 12 items or less in the shops I will give you an ear full. Take or play with your mobile during a movie I will have a go. Try to bully, intimidate or get one over me in meatspace and I will give it back. Sarcasm and such will be met with the same.

It is really just a degree thing I think, for me.

But I have encountered Telephone tough guys and Internet Warriors before. They quite often do not back their rhetoric face to face.

I like how you call "TeH Real World" meatspace.

Disturbs me somewhat since, apart from many that I have lately worked among, I consider meat as something I would crave to eat. I do recognize that many forms of lesser meats can be improved by grinding them down and adding various inclusions to hopefully boost the end result to something more palatable.

Metaphors over for right now.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
This article just got me thinking about our present situation with mdagli1 and also past forums that I belonged to.  I just thought it would make an interesting discussion and which way will it go.  I tend to be a reflective person and it takes a lot to get my blood roiling to the point I flat out get in people's faces irl.  But, I do tend to try to follow the path of least resistance and ignore shit if I decide it's not worth the energy to engage.  I do try to treat people with respect and kindness, unless otherwise shown that being a waste of time.  Then it's ignore and discard and walk away for me.  My temper does get the better of me from time to time.  And I have to focus on some the Buddhist practices that I am trying incorporate in my own life to get myself in balance again.  It's a struggle.

Honestly, I have the same interest in this thought exercise.

A difference between you and I is that I can certainly ignore some jerks in an effort to choose my battles carefully, but I can rarely ever just let go something that trips past a certain level of perceived encroachment.

I do try to treat all people with respect and I am not trying to talk myself into a kind of kinship, that I feel already exists. But. it's a struggle, sometimes.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 07:44:41 PM »
I think life is hard enough for most people, and it's not my job to make it harder.

I also don't think it's my job to correct an asshole in the wild for being an asshole either. Everyone over the age of 12 and not mentally impaired is usually capable of making the right choices. I normally figure...A. They have a good reason for their behavior, or B. They enjoy their behavior...either way unless they make it personal...I normally have no problem with ignoring them and moving on. (That doesn't mean that I will be a bystander to verbal and physical abuse though.)

Occasionally in life you ignore people and they are still intent on ramming their agenda down your throat and being as generally annoying as a fly at a cookout.   

Unfortunately, I'm human. I try my best, because I believe we all get what we give in life...to some extent. But when the shit flies towards me and dodging it is no longer an option, I will throw back.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »
I think life is hard enough for most people, and it's not my job to make it harder.

I also don't think it's my job to correct an asshole in the wild for being an asshole either. Everyone over the age of 12 and not mentally impaired is usually capable of making the right choices. I normally figure...A. They have a good reason for their behavior, or B. They enjoy their behavior...either way unless they make it personal...I normally have no problem with ignoring them and moving on. (That doesn't mean that I will be a bystander to verbal and physical abuse though.)

Occasionally in life you ignore people and they are still intent on ramming their agenda down your throat and being as generally annoying as a fly at a cookout.   

Unfortunately, I'm human. I try my best, because I believe we all get what we give in life...to some extent. But when the shit flies towards me and dodging it is no longer an option, I will throw back.

Agreed!   :plus:

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 04:03:54 AM »
I think the article is well researched. I particularly liked the passage: "If the antagonizers on social media face no repercussions, that encourages the growth of aggression, incivility, and just plain meanness." There seem to many of these aggressive personalities online, and that actually frustrates me. Sometimes I ridicule trolls for their incivility, or simplicity, but generally I aim to educate them with meanness, mainly because it's the only way I can reciprocate the same treatment they're dishing out. Sometimes it works, and they become more civil, and I will continue interacting with them; other times I receive a ban for my own behavior. The banning isn't so bad, as long as it's temporary. I haven't received a permanent ban for my words or actions... yet.  :lol1:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 04:50:15 AM »
Some people, I guess, are simply arseholes and only act civil in meatspace due to wanting to avoid complications and repercussions.

And on social media their true character presents itself.

There is also the fact that if you just make calm and sensible remarks on social media you tend to be largely ignored.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »

I read Cory Doctorow call it that years ago. But i've only ever seen 2 people online use it.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 03:40:30 PM »

I read Cory Doctorow call it that years ago. But i've only ever seen 2 people online use it.
Picked it up here. Have seen it used by a few people here over the years.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 05:47:15 PM »
People want to judge me....thats ok...they can go fuck themselves!    :finger:   :laugh:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 05:57:14 PM »
I wanted to start a thread for some serious discussion about the following article and felt it deserved one.  What do you think?   :apondering: or not!   :CanofWorms:  I just ask that personal jabs be kept to a minimum......if possible! 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/08/embark-essay-aggression-internet-twitter-human-nature/

The main thing that they leave out of this article is how the social media giants use algorithms to actually encourage bad behavior and nastiness.

Twitter early on discovered that the #1 re-tweeted emotion is anger/outrage so they tweaked the software to encourage that.

Facebook does similar things. Social media is cancer IMO.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »

The main thing that they leave out of this article is how the social media giants use algorithms to actually encourage bad behavior and nastiness.

Twitter early on discovered that the #1 re-tweeted emotion is anger/outrage so they tweaked the software to encourage that.

Facebook does similar things. Social media is cancer IMO.

Controversy is king!  Controversy makes profits!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 06:19:16 AM »
People want to judge me....thats ok...they can go fuck themselves!    :finger:   :laugh:

Dead right!
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap