Author Topic: Food for thought.  (Read 316 times)

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
Re: Food for thought.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »
I wanted to start a thread for some serious discussion about the following article and felt it deserved one.  What do you think?   :apondering: or not!   :CanofWorms:  I just ask that personal jabs be kept to a minimum......if possible! 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/08/embark-essay-aggression-internet-twitter-human-nature/

The main thing that they leave out of this article is how the social media giants use algorithms to actually encourage bad behavior and nastiness.

Twitter early on discovered that the #1 re-tweeted emotion is anger/outrage so they tweaked the software to encourage that.

Facebook does similar things. Social media is cancer IMO.

I don’t understand how they can be so irresponsible. I mean gang violence is triggered by it. Not meaning to sound like I’m on my moral high horse, and I feel like I’m stating the obvious, but I don’t understand how these social media giants can live with themselves knowing what little action they take badly affects some people. It is a responsibility to own such sites as Facebook.  :dunno:
:dog:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 07:22:40 AM »
I wanted to start a thread for some serious discussion about the following article and felt it deserved one.  What do you think?   :apondering: or not!   :CanofWorms:  I just ask that personal jabs be kept to a minimum......if possible! 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/08/embark-essay-aggression-internet-twitter-human-nature/

The main thing that they leave out of this article is how the social media giants use algorithms to actually encourage bad behavior and nastiness.

Twitter early on discovered that the #1 re-tweeted emotion is anger/outrage so they tweaked the software to encourage that.

I don’t understand how they can be so irresponsible. I mean gang violence is triggered by it. Not meaning to sound like I’m on my moral high horse, and I feel like I’m stating the obvious, but I don’t understand how these social media giants can live with themselves knowing what little action they take badly affects some people. It is a responsibility to own such sites as Facebook.  :dunno:

Money talks and bullshit walks.

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 07:45:00 AM »

Facebook jail is real