Author Topic: What did you do before you had meds?  (Read 2471 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
What did you do before you had meds?
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »
I ran marathons - it took the edge off the ADHD and any associated symptoms. Swimming helped at one point when I didn't have any. Caffeine in huge doses made me functional - that's how I got through the PhD program. I took those tablets they used to sell on the highway and dissolved the candy into my sodas. Also took ginseng but it never seems to have much of an effect.

Before the marathons and the caffeine I was a horror of a person to be around. Nothing in my environment could be moved or changed. Nothing in my routine could differ. My food was always the same, my laundry was all done at the cleaners, and I had my desk meticulously arranged. When I tried to make friends I realized they didn't like that. When I let go of routine I still couldn't make friends and then I couldn't get the routines back - that's when the train wreck started.

When I was in grad school my quack of a therapist sent me to a psychiatrist, telling me that I was clinically depressed. After listening to me awhile the psychiatrist agreed that I was not depressed. He did recommend Rescue Remedy because there was a social situation that was stressing me out - a more senior student was put in the role of supervisor in my practicum and he decided that meant remodeling the office and reassigning the desks. When we came in he had moved everything, including our belongings. He could not understand why this was not OK. I am never the alpha in such situations. He was a short guy with "short man syndrome" and I was in my new age zen meditation era. I tried to sic the real supervisor on him but he wasn't an alpha either so he said, well, you will have to work it out. Life was quite stressful until the practicum ended, but the rescue remedy worked great.

I did try Wellbutrin when I was first getting off the 1200+ mg of caffeine I was taking daily. Massive headache and spending spree and we went right to trials of stimulants after that.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What did you do before you had meds?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
  Before meds I drifted and floundered and wasted time and lost time (not in a fugue-state
  sense, more like time leaked away from me like air out of a tire).  It took me so long to do things,
  I had trouble staying on task over time, and as much as this frustrated my parents, I couldn't explain
  why I had trouble in school.  I could and did make excellent grades at times, but I was, and still am,
  a "slow learner" in new situations.  At my current job it used to take me most of an hour to dish up 90
  servings of fruit cup for Sunday dinner.  An hour.  I can't even remember what that felt like anymore.
  The Strattera keeps me on task over time, so that I can get things done much faster, consistently,
  and it also takes the edge off my OCD anxiety, seems to stop the obsessive loops of fear.  Overall,
  I am a better version of myself when I'm on it, "more tightly wrapped," as I like to put it.  :apondering:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:17:05 PM by couldbecousin »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »
Beyond the morning cup of coffee before school (even in grammar school), there wasn't anything. 

Thankfully my body and mind are slowing down and I'm finding more peace, tranquility, sensibility, patience, etc. than I ever had before.  I hope to never go back.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 06:44:06 AM »
Nothing now.

Last one on the list was Ativan, and although it did dull my senses enough where I could function better, longer in situations...it also seemed to trigger episodes of depression.

Back when I had friends...I was the one sitting in the corner trying to become comfortably numb enough to deal with them or planning my escape. I finally ditched the friends. Most people like going out to eat, movies, loud bars, dances...I like things that please my senses not irritate them, nice scenery, being outdoors, museums, car shows, yard sales...other woman like going out to eat, talking about how people dress, their kids, their hair, or gossip...I relate better to their husbands most of the time. 

Never really heard the term "sensory overload" until I hit 30...but that about fits what I've dealt with my entire life. The world moves too fast, it's too bright, and it needs a mute button, and I find that people are too fixated on drama and things that really don't matter  to me 90% of the time.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 01:41:07 PM »
Once I finally got old enough to manage my own medical affairs, discovering NMDA antagonists, adrenergic suppressants, and cannabinoids has been a sanity-saver.

I found that things like dissociatives, ket, dextromethorphan etc. in LOW doses supressess what I experience as a kind of internal 'static chatter' that gets in the way of proper sensory processing.

But the psychotropic effects, for that use, are unwanted, I wish I could get my doc to put me on a daily dose of memantine, I've trialled memantine before and it was a godsend, but getting it on the NHS has been proving impossibly difficult. :/ Memantine turned down the internal howling white noise, without the cognitivively disruptive effecs of less suitable NMDA antagonists.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 01:59:15 PM »
I tackled OCD the best I could, and sometimes not at all. I lost a lot of time. I was worried a lot of the time.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 06:35:30 PM »
I tackled OCD the best I could, and sometimes not at all. I lost a lot of time. I was worried a lot of the time.

OCD is a fucking bitch!  :hug:

People forget.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »
Had a lot of headaches

Online Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
Got distracted even more than I do now and slept worse.  I currently only take ADD meds which help a lot  with staying on task and with sleep.  The anxiety meds I stopped as they made me a bit zombieish
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »
...attended kindergarten and first grade.

Forget if meds came before or after being expelled from the latter.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »
...attended kindergarten and first grade.

Forget if meds came before or after being expelled from the latter.
How do you get expelled from first grade?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 06:21:03 AM »
I daydreamed a lot. I got into trouble too, in school for not handing in homework and taking too long in the classroom to start tasks. My psychiatrist read my school reports and found a lot of evidence of ADHD.

When I was older I was accused of being on drugs at work. I had two car crashes that were due to my inattention.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 06:22:11 AM »
I daydreamed a lot. I got into trouble too, in school for not handing in homework and taking too long in the classroom to start tasks. My psychiatrist read my school reports and found a lot of evidence of ADHD.

When I was older I was accused of being on drugs at work. I had two car crashes that were due to my inattention.

You sound a lot like me.  I'm afraid to drive because I don't trust my processing speed.  :tinfoil:

People forget.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 07:21:37 PM »
That's why I only got my automatic licence. I had tried manual but I had difficulties driving and keeping attention on what was going on around me.

Automatic is much easier.

This didn't stop me from getting my forklift and front end loader tickets because they were automatic too!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 07:18:15 AM »
That's why I only got my automatic licence. I had tried manual but I had difficulties driving and keeping attention on what was going on around me.

Automatic is much easier.

This didn't stop me from getting my forklift and front end loader tickets because they were automatic too!

That's so badass!  I sometimes think I'd like to be a forklift operator.  :green:

People forget.