Educational

Author Topic: After A White Man Was Beaten By a Mob in Cincinnati, the Police Chief’s Request  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
The media frenzies around a hate crime. They can’t miss an opportunity to manufacture a dialogue that narrates the minorities of America being oppressed by police, by the system, and by the majority.

But the City of Cincinnati, long known for its racial tensions, has decided to go against the grain, ignore the rhetoric, and do the right thing – even if it took some encouragement.

A man was nearly beaten to death by a group of African-American teenagers on July 4th in downtown Cincinnati. The victim, a white male, was left lifeless in Fountain Square, downtown’s social center. Some of the altercation was captured on tape.

Cincinnati Chief of Police, Jeffrey Blackwell, himself an African-American, is urging Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters to prosecute this case as a hate crime. Under the Ohio State Law, anything considered a hate crime carries a harsher penalty.

More of the story including video footage of the beating in link:

http://journal.ijreview.com/2015/07/245149-white-man-beaten-mob-cincinnati-police-chiefs-request-prosecutor-getting-attention/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Owned&utm_term=ijreview&utm_campaign=Crime

I'm glad they are doing the right thing. Al Sharpton and Jesse jackson are to blame for crap like this. Inciting racial tension with their money making propoganda.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Hate crime is thought crime, and hate crime penalties are a slap in the face to the very amendment which grants citizens equality in legal protection.

Offline Bastet

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
Hatespeech would be a thought crime. When you put your hands on someone else's body and injure them you should be punished.

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
What makes one innocent victim's assault worthy of harsher punishment than another innocent victim's equal assault? What the assailant was thinking?

Offline Bastet

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
I see what you mean but I do like it is being treated the same as a poc would if it happened. There's a double standard with white people particularly cis males.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
What makes one innocent victim's assault worthy of harsher punishment than another innocent victim's equal assault? What the assailant was thinking?

So if I only have nice thoughts and say nice things about someone while beating someone I should get a lesser penalty  :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bastet

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!

So if I only have nice thoughts and say nice things about someone while beating someone I should get a lesser penalty  :zoinks:

What about sexual thoughts? What do they fall under?

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
I see what you mean but I do like it is being treated the same as a poc would if it happened. There's a double standard with white people particularly cis males.
It's true it's not an uncommon point of view that only whites are racist and commit racially motivated crimes, but trying to equal a playing field built of bullshit will never work. Trying to equalize an unconstitutional double standard isn't creating equality; it's simply fighting the unjust with euql unjust. Unjust for victims of non-racially motivated crime. The fourteenth amendment was created specifically to protect the equal legal rights of blacks as citizens; equality isn't good enough for some people.

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: After A White Man Was Beaten By a Mob in .
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »

Only if you have a vagina.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: After A White Man Was Beaten By a Mob in
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »

Sexual orientation motive falls under hate crime too, if that's what you mean.

Offline Bastet

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 10:12:46 PM »

I meant like getting off of beating the shit outta someone sorry should have been clearer dat laziness f mine :P.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face

I disagree with you...though not entirely.
I think if I dislike and fight someone AND they are black or Indian or female or Asian or whatever,  all good. IF I dislike and fight someone BECAUSE they are black , Indian, female Asian or whatever THAT is an issue. The subtlety is minimal and it is a value thing, butvi there.
Same as it is with hate crimes.
The problem is what you've touched on. You can't police thoughts.
I strongly suspect the gentleman calling it a hate crime is 100% right. I suspect the hatred of white people was the core of it and it seems perfectly reasonable and rational to presume this.
But look at all the qualifiers in the above sentence.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 10:19:15 PM »

I meant like getting off of beating the shit outta someone sorry should have been clearer dat laziness f mine :P.
That's alright. For some reason was thinking race and sexual orientation were really the only the only hate crime motives, but in looking it's also religion, nationality, disability, gender, whatever; victims of bigots in get more justice.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: After A White Man Was Beaten By a Mob in Cincinnati, /
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:09:44 PM »

I disagree with you...though not entirely.
I think if I dislike and fight someone AND they are black or Indian or female or Asian or whatever,  all good. IF I dislike and fight someone BECAUSE they are black , Indian, female Asian or whatever THAT is an issue. The subtlety is minimal and it is a value thing, butvi there.
Same as it is with hate crimes.
The problem is what you've touched on. You can't police thoughts.
I strongly suspect the gentleman calling it a hate crime is 100% right. I suspect the hatred of white people was the core of it and it seems perfectly reasonable and rational to presume this.
But look at all the qualifiers in the above sentence.
This conversation is reminding me of another thread here. Wasn't a member here at the time so couldn't comment. Hubert said it well.

Hate crime enhancements create thought crimes.  I understand what purpose they are trying to serve, but my personal philosophy on the law is that it should always remain as subjective as possible.  If you strike someone in the face you have committed the crime of striking someone in the face.  If you strike someone in the face and the prosecutor can convince a group of 6-12 partially engaged citizens that you were thinking hateful thoughts about that person's race when you hit him, then the crime is worse?  That doesn't make sense to me, and runs the risk of destabilizing the entire system.  The most important asset the law has going for it is that it is accepted by all as inherently fair.  When that is lost, the whole thing comes crashing down.
I haven't done Crim yet, but the only crime I am aware of so far that takes premeditation into account is homicide.  There is something of a legal fiction involved in that premeditation can be formed in the split second before you bean someone in the head with a shovel, but that's another conversation.  Personally, I can see how homicide would be the poster child against hate enhancements.  The victim is equally dead, there isn't anything worse that can be done to him.  Is it really "fair" to give a lesser sentence to someone who killed your kid because he owed him money than you would give to someone who killed your kid because he is gay, or black, or Norwegian?  Isn't that devaluing certain homicides in light of others?  Why is my kid's life worth less than yours just because your kid's killer was thinking something different from my kid's killer?  They are both equally dead.

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 11:48:52 PM »
I think there should be laws for extra penalties for love crimes. Committing a crime against a loved one is much worse of a crime than someone who is hated.  :deadhorse2: I just noticed this smiley for the first time and wanted to use it. I that one guy eating the dead horse?  :lol1:
:gopher: