Author Topic: After A White Man Was Beaten By a Mob in Cincinnati, the Police Chief’s Request  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: After A White Man Was Beaten By a Mob in Cincinnati,
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »
Sounds reasonable, but over here that kind of prohibition only applies in sensitive areas.  A business owner can refuse to let you in if your face is covered, but nobody could force you to uncover your face just because you were in public.
Not even in public owned spaces, court, school?

Local school districts are given wide latitude to make their own rules due to the special environment of children, so could go either way though it would be tough.  Court - almost certainly not as it would be a direct violation of the free exercise clause.  Public spaces such as parks, etc?  No.
Guessing the other topic is dead then. Testifying in court with face hidden seems highly problematic. What about driver's license photos?

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
Re: After A White Man Was Beaten By a Mob in Cincinnati,
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 05:06:31 PM »
Sounds reasonable, but over here that kind of prohibition only applies in sensitive areas.  A business owner can refuse to let you in if your face is covered, but nobody could force you to uncover your face just because you were in public.
Not even in public owned spaces, court, school?

Local school districts are given wide latitude to make their own rules due to the special environment of children, so could go either way though it would be tough.  Court - almost certainly not as it would be a direct violation of the free exercise clause.  Public spaces such as parks, etc?  No.
Guessing the other topic is dead then. Testifying in court with face hidden seems highly problematic. What about driver's license photos?

Driving isn't a right that triggers a liberty interest I don't believe, so they could make rules about license photos if they wanted and then see how it turns out in court.  My guess is that a ban on burkas for drivers license photos would likely be seen as discriminatory as devout Muslim women would be essentially banned from driving on account of the exercise of their religion.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: After A White Man Was Beaten By a Mob in Cincinnati, the
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2015, 12:06:56 AM »
Still guessing the other topic is dead then. It's difficult to argue in favor of something I disagree, much less make it sound somewhat sensible; figured it would be fairly easy to tell me why that's incorrect. Anyway, burkas. Are they actually a religious practice or simply a cultural custom? Wasn't really talking about driving as a right, but rather the use of a photo identification, like situations where a driver's license is used to identify a person. How does that work?

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2015, 03:44:18 AM »
Still guessing the other topic is dead then. It's difficult to argue in favor of something I disagree, much less make it sound somewhat sensible; figured it would be fairly easy to tell me why that's incorrect. Anyway, burkas. Are they actually a religious practice or simply a cultural custom? Wasn't really talking about driving as a right, but rather the use of a photo identification, like situations where a driver's license is used to identify a person. How does that work?
It is a cultural custom. A lot of religious practices have roots in a local custom. Burqa makes sense in an environment where sand gets everywhere. Covering ones face makes sense in Arctic areas too.

The use of the burqa is growing. Getting more wide spread, and in very fundamentalistic muslim groups. So, the religious meaning of the burqa is getting heavier.

Countries where the burqa is obliged for women, the question of drivers-licences may be a moot point. Often women in those countries are not allowed to drive a car, so it is not a problem.
 :zoinks:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »
Countries where the burqa is obliged for women, the question of drivers-licences may be a moot point. Often women in those countries are not allowed to drive a car, so it is not a problem.
Do they have some alternate method of identifying who women are, or does it not matter and also a moot point?

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »
Do they have some alternate method of identifying who women are, or does it not matter and also a moot point?

Don't know.

Could of course delve into that, but not today, maybe later.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »

Don't know.

Could of course delve into that, but not today, maybe later.
It's my understanding passport photos do not allow covered face for anyone and the photos for women with burkas are taken by women, so it stands to reason they allow their identity to be verified in situations where it's required; just don't know how they do it in their own country.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Reading on burqas just saw that haredi Jewish women have taken on wearing the burqa too.

Wonder if one can drive safely wearing one, btw. How can you look aside and behind well with only such a little window to peek through. All peripheral sight taken away. And all direct sight blurred.

:dunno:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: After A White Man Was Beaten By a Mob in ;
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »
Assumed they don't obscure vision, as a vision test is part of obtaining a driver's license.

Offline MLA

• Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2015, 09:29:33 AM »
Still guessing the other topic is dead then. It's difficult to argue in favor of something I disagree, much less make it sound somewhat sensible; figured it would be fairly easy to tell me why that's incorrect.

You were stating legal conclusions as fact rather than actually making an argument.  I thought you were playing with me :)

Anyway, burkas. Are they actually a religious practice or simply a cultural custom? Wasn't really talking about driving as a right, but rather the use of a photo identification, like situations where a driver's license is used to identify a person. How does that work?

My understanding is that they are religious practice.  I am no Muslim scholar though.  If not then my argument falls apart.

Offline MLA

• Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »

In most of these countries, they just ask the man walking with her who she is.  If she is alone, they stone her to death.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »
You were stating legal conclusions as fact rather than actually making an argument.  I thought you were playing with me :)
Stating opinion in the form of fact is my writing style; this isn't surprising or new. Are you going to tell me why it's incorrect? Of course am playing with you, and willing to present a viewpoint I disagree for the sake of the game; thought that was clear.