Educational

Author Topic: Game of Riddles  (Read 3642 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Game of Riddles
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2007, 06:56:36 AM »

Sorry, I neglected the thread.  YES, because if there was only one blue-eyed person, he would leave on the first day because he wouldn't see anyone else with blue eyes; if only two blue eyed people, both would see one other person with blue eyes but when that person didn't leave, they'd know they were the second blue eyed person and would leave on the second day; if three blue eyed people, the third day, etc.

Where the logic in this falls through though, is the fact that the blue eyed people ALREADY saw 99 blue eyed people and what the guru said wasn't anything new AND the fact that there were brown eyed people in the mix. The blue eyed people STILL can't differentiate themselves from the brown without realizing what the numbers are.

Think about it. when you have 2 blue eyed people and 2 brown, if the blue eyed people dont see a blue eye leave, that only tells them that the blue eyed person can't tell thier eye color. it STILL does'nt tell them what thier eye color is since it could be brown.

The poor brown-eyed people are stuck there till the Guru speaks again, because they don't know that they all have brown eyes; each individual doesn't know if he himself has green eyes like the guru, or purple eyes, etc.

Even if the guru speaks again, they still already know what she says. There's at least one brwon eyed person there. THEY ALREADY KNOW THAT. Just as they already knew there was at least one blue eyed person.

Which is why they leave on the 100th day.  I explained it as best I could- Callaway, do you think you could explain it better?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2007, 11:35:16 AM »
Here was the way I saw it.

I am a blue- eyed person, but I can't see my own eyes, so I don't know that yet.  I see 99 other blue-eyed people and 100 other brown-eyed people, along with one green-eyed guru, and I am a good logician.  When the guru makes her proclamation that she sees one blue-eyed person, then I obviously know that someone has blue eyes, but who is it?

Suppose for a moment that I was the only blue-eyed person on the island.  Then when the guru makes her proclamation, I know that I must have blue eyes, since all the other eyes that I see are brown or green; therefore, I must leave on the midnight ferry.  Now suppose that I am one of two people on the island with blue eyes, so I see only one person with blue eyes.  When this blue-eyed person does not get on the midnight ferry the night the guru makes her proclamation, I know that s/he must see another pair of blue eyes on the island.  Since my eyes are the only ones I can't see, I know that they must be mine; therefore we both leave at midnight the next day.  If you extend this logic to three blue-eyed people, they all get on the ferry the third day.  If you extend this logic to 100 blue-eyed people, they all get on the ferry on the hundredth day.

Scrapheap

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2007, 12:01:51 AM »
I can't see this line of logic being extended beyond 3 people though becaue then you have a "Mexican standoff". The fourth blue eyed person could naturally assume that they have brown or green eyes because they see 3 sets of blue eyes. When those 3 don't leave, they could assume that because they both see two other pair, that they aren't able to rule themselves out as having brown eyes.

If the brown eyed people can't tell they have brown eyes, how do the know they aren't blue??

As I said previously, the blue eyed people were already aware that there were 99 sets of blue eyes. What the guru said was nothing new.

Scrapheap

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2007, 12:10:26 AM »

I am a blue- eyed person, but I can't see my own eyes, so I don't know that yet.  I see 99 other blue-eyed people and 100 other brown-eyed people, along with one green-eyed guru, and I am a good logician.  When the guru makes her proclamation that she sees one blue-eyed person, then I obviously know that someone has blue eyes, but who is it?

The 99 people you've been looking at. You already knew that without being told by the guru.

I don't see where the passage of time creates a process of elimination past the first night. Since the the presence of the brown eys and green create a stalemate situation.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2007, 12:17:36 AM »

The 99 people you've been looking at. You already knew that without being told by the guru.

I don't see where the passage of time creates a process of elimination past the first night. Since the the presence of the brown eys and green create a stalemate situation.

Yes, that is what I think too for the first night through the ninety-ninth night, but on night 100, I realize that my eyes must be blue too because if they were purple, brown, green or whatever, then everyone else with blue eyes would have left on the ninety-ninth night, because they would have seen only ninety-eight other pairs of blue eyes, instead of ninety-nine others, including mine.

Scrapheap

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2007, 05:45:21 PM »
I found this cool puzzle/game/riddle at skeptic.com.

The rules are: You have to get everyone across the river.
The mother can't be alone with the sons
The father can't be alone with the daughters
The criminal can't be alone with any family member without the cop

Have fun playing !!!

http://freeweb.siol.net/danej/riverIQGame.swf

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2007, 07:25:19 PM »
I might be better at it if those were actually the rules, but there are more, actually.

Scrapheap

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2007, 07:30:19 PM »
I might be better at it if those were actually the rules, but there are more, actually.

I'll clarify the rules then.

The rules are: You have to get everyone across the river.
Only the Father, Mother and Cop can operate the raft.
The mother can't be alone with the sons without the father there
The father can't be alone with the daughters without the mother there
The criminal can't be alone with any family member without the cop

Oh!! You put the people on the raft by clicking on them, and you move the raft by clicking on the pole of the bank you want to go to.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 07:41:12 PM by KarmaChameleon »

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2007, 07:52:25 PM »
OK, then I just suck.  I always wind up stuck with two kids of the same gender and no idea how to transport them.  I can get half the family across.

Scrapheap

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2007, 08:05:51 PM »
Hint: Use the cop and criminal as tools to move the raft back and forth.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2007, 08:17:30 PM »
YESSS!  Got it!  I knew to get the cop and criminal over there first, then abandon the criminal, but the hint helped/

Thier "you win" dance is even dumber than the fight scenes.  And someone need to call DSS on those parents.

Offline rocketturtle

• mysterious mantra
  • Frequent Poster
  • displaced space
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2007, 08:18:34 PM »
1. cop + criminal
2. cop
3. cop + boy
4. cop + criminal
5. dad + boy
6. dad
7. dad + mom
8. mom
9. cop + criminal
10. dad
11. dad + mom
12. mom
13. mom + girl
14. cop + criminal
15. cop + girl
16. cop
17. cop + criminal
i like stuff

Scrapheap

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »
bump!

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
Here's a Callaway-style riddle for you. There are no tricks, such as buildup on the shoreline, or the pond expanding. It's straightforward.

There is a fungus that lives on the surface of a particular pond. It stays on the surface in a layer one fungus thick. Every day, the area covered by the fungus doubles. It starts off covering one small part of the pond on Day 1, and doubles to cover twice that area on Day 2, etc. On Day 30, it covers the entire pond exactly. On which day does the fungus cover half of the pond?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
Here's a Callaway-style riddle for you. There are no tricks, such as buildup on the shoreline, or the pond expanding. It's straightforward.

There is a fungus that lives on the surface of a particular pond. It stays on the surface in a layer one fungus thick. Every day, the area covered by the fungus doubles. It starts off covering one small part of the pond on Day 1, and doubles to cover twice that area on Day 2, etc. On Day 30, it covers the entire pond exactly. On which day does the fungus cover half of the pond?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.