Author Topic: Game of Riddles  (Read 3642 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Game of Riddles
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2007, 07:11:34 PM »
So you're saying the villagers are'nt allowed to tell each other thier eye color??

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2007, 08:09:48 PM »
So you're saying the villagers are'nt allowed to tell each other thier eye color??

"they cannot otherwise communicate."

Yes, they cannot tell each other their eye color.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Scrapheap

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2007, 09:39:37 PM »
They can deduce it by saying this.

A brown eyed person says :"Not counting the guru, I see 100 blue eyed and 99 brown eyed people"

A blue eyed person says: "Not counting the guru, I see 99 blue eyed and 100 brown eyed people"

Everyone leaves the island that night except the guru.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2007, 07:40:24 AM »
They can deduce it by saying this.

A brown eyed person says :"Not counting the guru, I see 100 blue eyed and 99 brown eyed people"

A blue eyed person says: "Not counting the guru, I see 99 blue eyed and 100 brown eyed people"

Everyone leaves the island that night except the guru.

No, they can't talk to each other at all.

Scrapheap

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »
I must be getting hung up on the way you worded this then. The guru hasn't told them something that they did'nt already know.

Scrapheap

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2007, 08:43:38 PM »
If thy can't talk to eachother, does tha mean that they did'nt know the word for blue ?? ?? ??

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2007, 02:29:55 PM »
If thy can't talk to eachother, does tha mean that they did'nt know the word for blue ?? ?? ??

Dude, just work within the framework of the riddle.  This situation OBVIOUSLY doesn't exist, and it's not a riddle I made up, but I WAS able to solve it.

Scrapheap

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2007, 11:46:09 PM »
The blue eyed people leave that night and the brown eyed people leave the next night. The guru stays behind.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2007, 11:50:19 PM »
I was thinking all the blue-eyed people left too, but why would the brown-eyed people leave?  They don't know they have brown eyes, do they?

Scrapheap

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2007, 11:54:20 PM »
I was thinking all the blue-eyed people left too, but why would the brown-eyed people leave?  They don't know they have brown eyes, do they?

Afte all the blue eyes leave, the brown eyes all know they're brown ?? ?? ??

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2007, 12:16:57 AM »

But for all they know, each brown-eyed person could think he or she had purple eyes, right?  They each see everyone else but the guru with brown eyes, once all the blue-eyed people leave, but how will that tell them their own eye color?

I think all the blue-eyed people leave on day 100, and the brown-eyed people and the guru stay behind.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2007, 12:38:58 AM »
No, I think that you are right, Scrapheap.  I think that the brown-eyed people leave too, but I think they leave 100 days after all the blue-eyed people leave, so on day 200.  They figure it out the same way the blue-eyed people figured it out.  Each of them sees 99 pairs of brown eyes and after 99 days of nobody else getting on the ferry, they figure out their own eye color has to be brown too, because if their own eyes were purple, then someone else with brown eyes would have seen this and left on day 99.

Scrapheap

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2007, 10:52:37 PM »
So are you going to tell us the answer O Flying Toaster ?? ?? ??  ;) ;D

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2007, 06:51:54 AM »

But for all they know, each brown-eyed person could think he or she had purple eyes, right?  They each see everyone else but the guru with brown eyes, once all the blue-eyed people leave, but how will that tell them their own eye color?

I think all the blue-eyed people leave on day 100, and the brown-eyed people and the guru stay behind.

Sorry, I neglected the thread.  YES, because if there was only one blue-eyed person, he would leave on the first day because he wouldn't see anyone else with blue eyes; if only two blue eyed people, both would see one other person with blue eyes but when that person didn't leave, they'd know they were the second blue eyed person and would leave on the second day; if three blue eyed people, the third day, etc.

The poor brown-eyed people are stuck there till the Guru speaks again, because they don't know that they all have brown eyes; each individual doesn't know if he himself has green eyes like the guru, or purple eyes, etc.

Scrapheap

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2007, 12:56:35 AM »

Sorry, I neglected the thread.  YES, because if there was only one blue-eyed person, he would leave on the first day because he wouldn't see anyone else with blue eyes; if only two blue eyed people, both would see one other person with blue eyes but when that person didn't leave, they'd know they were the second blue eyed person and would leave on the second day; if three blue eyed people, the third day, etc.

Where the logic in this falls through though, is the fact that the blue eyed people ALREADY saw 99 blue eyed people and what the guru said wasn't anything new AND the fact that there were brown eyed people in the mix. The blue eyed people STILL can't differentiate themselves from the brown without realizing what the numbers are.

Think about it. when you have 2 blue eyed people and 2 brown, if the blue eyed people dont see a blue eye leave, that only tells them that the blue eyed person can't tell thier eye color. it STILL does'nt tell them what thier eye color is since it could be brown.

The poor brown-eyed people are stuck there till the Guru speaks again, because they don't know that they all have brown eyes; each individual doesn't know if he himself has green eyes like the guru, or purple eyes, etc.

Even if the guru speaks again, they still already know what she says. There's at least one brwon eyed person there. THEY ALREADY KNOW THAT. Just as they already knew there was at least one blue eyed person.