Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 75520 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #2115 on: November 28, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »
Thanks for the response Butterflies.  I know these are hard times for a lot of countries and their folks.  And I fear it will get worse before it gets better.  Fear and uncertainty often brings out the worse in people.

Indeed...why are you in Ireland now, Butterflies? Any plans for the bunch of you to move back to Scotland?

My aunt is fron N.Ireland and an only child, and she was born into extreme wealth. When she was in her late teens she moved to London to rebel, get away from the troubles, and escape her dickhead parents. It was always expected that she'd return home one day to take over affairs from her parents. My uncle (my dads brother) moved to London around the same time to be a punk, deal drugs, and become a heroine addict. They got together, got married, settled in Scotland, and had my cousin.

Recently my aunts mum developed Dementia, and it was felt that it was the right time for my aunt to return home and spend the last little time with her mum. I've always had a very close relationship with my aunt, uncle, and cousin, and that has caused a lot of resentment with my dad, so I decided to move over with them.

All of us would prefer to be in Scotland, but my aunt and uncle were expected to take over family affairs, but they're both getting old, and are in bad health, so have started to speak to my cousin about him taking things over instead. He doesn't want to do that, so he's started trying to talk me into running things with him. I don't really want to. All of the family interests are in N.Ireland and so we'd really have to stay here to look after things. I really don't see any way for us all to move back to Scotland. I could move back myself, but I'd be all alone. Even my best friend's moved over here, but she likes it and has no plans to move back to Scotland.

It looks like I'm stuck here. It's not all bad. I'm surrounded by all my favourite people, and I am very happy, even if I bitch about living here. It's just, #i'd rather stay in Scotland.

Ah, so it is complicated. I don't suppose there is any way of moving the family interests out of Ireland?  :-\

None :( Too many local businesses. TBH it wouldn't be right to try to anyway. Some stuff's been in the family for well over a century.

:plus:  for participating in the family business, in whatever capacity. Sometimes I wish I had a family business.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2116 on: November 28, 2010, 08:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the response Butterflies.  I know these are hard times for a lot of countries and their folks.  And I fear it will get worse before it gets better.  Fear and uncertainty often brings out the worse in people.

Indeed...why are you in Ireland now, Butterflies? Any plans for the bunch of you to move back to Scotland?

My aunt is fron N.Ireland and an only child, and she was born into extreme wealth. When she was in her late teens she moved to London to rebel, get away from the troubles, and escape her dickhead parents. It was always expected that she'd return home one day to take over affairs from her parents. My uncle (my dads brother) moved to London around the same time to be a punk, deal drugs, and become a heroine addict. They got together, got married, settled in Scotland, and had my cousin.

Recently my aunts mum developed Dementia, and it was felt that it was the right time for my aunt to return home and spend the last little time with her mum. I've always had a very close relationship with my aunt, uncle, and cousin, and that has caused a lot of resentment with my dad, so I decided to move over with them.

All of us would prefer to be in Scotland, but my aunt and uncle were expected to take over family affairs, but they're both getting old, and are in bad health, so have started to speak to my cousin about him taking things over instead. He doesn't want to do that, so he's started trying to talk me into running things with him. I don't really want to. All of the family interests are in N.Ireland and so we'd really have to stay here to look after things. I really don't see any way for us all to move back to Scotland. I could move back myself, but I'd be all alone. Even my best friend's moved over here, but she likes it and has no plans to move back to Scotland.

It looks like I'm stuck here. It's not all bad. I'm surrounded by all my favourite people, and I am very happy, even if I bitch about living here. It's just, #i'd rather stay in Scotland.

Ah, so it is complicated. I don't suppose there is any way of moving the family interests out of Ireland?  :-\

None :( Too many local businesses. TBH it wouldn't be right to try to anyway. Some stuff's been in the family for well over a century.

:plus:  for participating in the family business, in whatever capacity. Sometimes I wish I had a family business.

Thanks, although at the moment I'm not participating in it at all. My great uncle is in total charge, but he's around 83. We don't know who's going to take over when he dies or gives it up. It's just looking increasingly likely that it's going to skip a generation and go straight to my cousin, and I'll be roped into helping him run it. I would prefer not to be involved. I have my own business and that's more than enough for me, and I'm totally anonymous. I have severe social anxiety, and the last thing I can be bothered with is lots of the town gossiping about me. Especially as my Great Aunt and Great Uncle are such incedibly unpopular people in the area.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2117 on: November 28, 2010, 08:38:38 PM »

Thanks, although at the moment I'm not participating in it at all. My great uncle is in total charge, but he's around 83. We don't know who's going to take over when he dies or gives it up. It's just looking increasingly likely that it's going to skip a generation and go straight to my cousin, and I'll be roped into helping him run it. I would prefer not to be involved. I have my own business and that's more than enough for me, and I'm totally anonymous. I have severe social anxiety, and the last thing I can be bothered with is lots of the town gossiping about me. Especially as my Great Aunt and Great Uncle are such incedibly unpopular people in the area.

Ah, so you would become more visible in town? Couldn't you stay behind the scenes?  :chin:

People forget.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2118 on: November 28, 2010, 08:54:47 PM »

Ah, so you would become more visible in town? Couldn't you stay behind the scenes?  :chin:

I would be behind the scenes. I wouldn't actually do work. The problem is that my Great Aunt and Great Uncle have quite a high profile, and whoever takes on their affairs will be well known.
They loved being the centre of attention and flashing their wealth everywhere. Both myself, and my cousin are the total opposite. Both of us would rather walk down the street and have nobody recognize us. Neither of us want to be thought of as big shots. We're both aspies. If people know you own large businesses they expect you to act in a certain way. Neither of us could possibly act in that way. We wouldn't even know how to :laugh:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2119 on: November 28, 2010, 09:01:31 PM »

I would be behind the scenes. I wouldn't actually do work. The problem is that my Great Aunt and Great Uncle have quite a high profile, and whoever takes on their affairs will be well known.
They loved being the centre of attention and flashing their wealth everywhere. Both myself, and my cousin are the total opposite. Both of us would rather walk down the street and have nobody recognize us. Neither of us want to be thought of as big shots. We're both aspies. If people know you own large businesses they expect you to act in a certain way. Neither of us could possibly act in that way. We wouldn't even know how to :laugh:

Well, maybe the people around town will give you two a chance! You will be the new, humble, down-to-earth generation!  :thumbup:

People forget.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2120 on: November 28, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »

Well, maybe the people around town will give you two a chance! You will be the new, humble, down-to-earth generation!  :thumbup:

I don't think people will be nasty to our faces. It's the fear of losing my anonymity, and knowing they'll be judging me behind my back. I do appear pretty retarded :laugh: I hate the thought of the town talking about it, and laughing at the two retards who have taken over :-[ We are going to be a laughing stock. :laugh:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2121 on: November 28, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »

I don't think people will be nasty to our faces. It's the fear of losing my anonymity, and knowing they'll be judging me behind my back. I do appear pretty retarded :laugh: I hate the thought of the town talking about it, and laughing at the two retards who have taken over :-[ We are going to be a laughing stock. :laugh:

If the two of you know how to run the businesses profitably, you can laugh all the way to the bank!   :1st:

People forget.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2122 on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »

If the two of you know how to run the businesses profitably, you can laugh all the way to the bank!   :1st:

The thing is we both do. But we've both got our own businesses and they give us far more than we could ever need. My cousin already owns over 25 properties, and has just bought a huge great house in the town to live in. I have 10, and I'm going over to Scotland In the new year to pick up a few more.
Neither of us really want to take on a business that will give us a high profile though.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2123 on: November 28, 2010, 09:33:01 PM »
Well, is there anyone else in the family who could take over these businesses?    :toporly:

People forget.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2124 on: November 28, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »
Well, is there anyone else in the family who could take over these businesses?    :toporly:

That's why all of this is a big problem. There is nobody else. My aunts an only child, and so's my cousin. The plan was always for my cousins parents to take over for a good few years, and he'd have time to get used to things. Sadly, they're both old, have their own businesses, and have badly deteriorating health and don't feel capable of taking anything else on.
We don't really have a choice. We're just going to have to get on with things when the time comes. I just wish I didn't have to bother with it. Obviously we'll hire people who'll run things on a day to day basis.
I'm just lazy, and I would rather leave it to my cousin, but he doesn't want to do it himself, so I'll have to do the decent thing.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2125 on: November 28, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »

That's why all of this is a big problem. There is nobody else. My aunts an only child, and so's my cousin. The plan was always for my cousins parents to take over for a good few years, and he'd have time to get used to things. Sadly, they're both old, have their own businesses, and have badly deteriorating health and don't feel capable of taking anything else on.
We don't really have a choice. We're just going to have to get on with things when the time comes. I just wish I didn't have to bother with it. Obviously we'll hire people who'll run things on a day to day basis.
I'm just lazy, and I would rather leave it to my cousin, but he doesn't want to do it himself, so I'll have to do the decent thing.

Hey, with the right people running things under your supervision, it might not be so bad. Just keep your eyes on them at all times!  :police:

People forget.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2126 on: November 28, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »

Hey, with the right people running things under your supervision, it might not be so bad. Just keep your eyes on them at all times!  :police:

:agreed: :agreed:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2127 on: November 28, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »

:agreed: :agreed:

I think you and your cousin can do this! It will be hard work, but you'll have pride in it!  :viking:

People forget.

richard

« Reply #2128 on: November 28, 2010, 11:46:46 PM »
The all new real housewives

richard