Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 75559 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #4290 on: January 02, 2019, 07:28:42 AM »
I watched Theory of Everything last night. I couldn't get over how well Eddie Redmayne did in playing Hawking.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4291 on: January 02, 2019, 08:09:30 AM »
I watched Theory of Everything last night. I couldn't get over how well Eddie Redmayne did in playing Hawking.

He was really good in that film. Better than the film itself.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4292 on: January 02, 2019, 08:13:04 AM »

He was really good in that film. Better than the film itself.
Yeah, I enjoyed the movie, but I really was most spellbound by his performance. I read an interview with Stephen's first wife Jane and she said she walked onto the set one day when they were filming their early years and she was blown away when she saw Eddie because "it was like there was Stephen, standing right there in front of me like he did all those years ago."
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4293 on: January 21, 2019, 06:05:15 PM »
Just watched the New Year's special of Doctor Who. Well worth it. An excellent episode.

Pity we probably won't see more until about November.

It's really for kids though. Best when it's dark and not for the kiddywinks.

The British people who've watched it say that there's a lot of political proselytising in it.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4294 on: January 21, 2019, 10:33:38 PM »
My laptop screen. :P

Haven't found anything I really want to watch, lately.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4295 on: August 03, 2019, 05:35:20 AM »
I'm not actiually watching it at present (watched it twice already: once alone, then once again with son)  but just noticed that this utterly briliant black comedy is still up on channel 4's website:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-end-of-the-ing-world

here's what Wikipedia says about it:
The End of the F***ing World is a British dark comedy-drama television programme, based on a graphic novel of the same name by Charles Forsman. The eight-part programme premiered its first episode on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom on 24 October 2017, after which all eight episodes were released on All 4. It was a co-production with Netflix, who released it internationally on 5 January 2018. The programme follows James (Alex Lawther), a 17-year-old who believes himself to be a psychopath, and Alyssa (Jessica Barden), a rebellious classmate who sees in James a chance to escape from her tumultuous home life. Gemma Whelan, Wunmi Mosaku, Steve Oram, Christine Bottomley, Navin Chowdhry, and Barry Ward appear in supporting roles.

The show is based on Forsman's mini-comics The End of the Fucking World, which were collected into a book in 2013. Series creator Jonathan Entwistle contacted him about making a film, and a short was made in 2014. Instead, an eight-part serial was commissioned, with filming beginning in April 2017. It was written by Charlie Covell, and episodes were directed by Entwistle and Lucy Tcherniak. In August 2018, Channel 4 renewed the programme for a second series.

The programme has been met with critical acclaim, and has been praised for its writing, execution and subject matter, as well as for Lawther and Barden's performances. It was nominated for the 2018 British Academy Television Award for Best Drama Series.[1]

Rated 98% on Rotten tomatoes!

Anybody else seen it? If not, do watch it if you possibly can, guys.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4296 on: August 07, 2019, 03:27:39 AM »
Watched "Shazam" on the plane while crossing the Atlantic. Not brilliant but entertaining.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4297 on: August 17, 2019, 11:49:26 PM »
Watching "Mindhunter" on Netflix. Season #2 is pretty good.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4298 on: August 18, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »
While having lunch I got to watch my annoying neighbor get his trailer stuck in his driveway then try and get it out for about a half hour ,  it was very amusing  :2thumbsup:   If they weren't so annoying and act like they are so much better than everyone else on the street I would have helped
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4299 on: August 19, 2019, 01:23:33 AM »
Watched "Shazam" on the plane while crossing the Atlantic. Not brilliant but entertaining.

It's more of a kids/teens movie. I saw it with my kids at the cinema and we absolutely loved it.

If I saw it by myself on an airplane I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.

Maybe that's the mark of a really good movie, if it's still good when you the first time you watch it is on an airplane.

“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4300 on: August 19, 2019, 04:25:31 AM »
Watched The Never-Ending Story yesterday. Brought back good memories of watching it with my sisters as kids. I still haven't seen the second one.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4301 on: August 19, 2019, 08:15:30 AM »
have been watching the Stephen Poliakoff collection on BBC i-player, .  Never watched anything of his before, (not even Gideon's Daughter)  not until the series Summer of Rockets came out this year.  If any other Brits want to watch that, it's available on i-player as a box set for the next 10 months. I'm not a big fan of historical drama, but this was really special., closely based on Poliakoff's childhood and actual family, so the characters were very real, the history dead acccurate, and the strory very involving; very much more than just a yarn.

The rest finish their run on Wednesday. Of these, i especially liked The Lost Prince, about King George V's little-known autistic/epileptic son, who was kept out of the public eye. This has the same underlying theme of siding with the less-than-conventional, which evidently runs through Poliakoff's work like Blackpool through the proverbial stick of rock. One of the reasons why i like it :) And his portrayal of the strictures of upper class society makes you actually feel sorry for the buggers; though i've gotta admit, that's pretty much how i felt in the first place. A nice bit of self-affirmation for spazzes.

Finally, Shooting the Past is awesome. Just awesome.

I don't know why BBC call Shooting the Past a "period drama" It's set in 1999, the year it was made. At which point in time, I was living without a TV (mostly to save licence fees, besides the fact that i rarely watched the thing anyway) ; and was continually plagued by the licencing police, who would bang on my door claiming to have detected a TV in my house, with their silly little  dummy "TV detector vans";  at which,  i would invite them in to peer suspiciously at my PC monitor. It wasn't really worth the harassment , TBH, but I'd heard on the radio that most of the women in British prisons had been banged up  for "watching TV without a licence" and i really didn't fancy being one of them ; nor did i fancy the prospect of diverting money  for important stuff like rent, fuel, ISP into their grubby hands,  just to avoid that fate. 

Umm, yeah, that's totally  beside the point, except  that's probably why i missed that  thing til now,.

Links:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p078h6l2/summer-of-rockets-series-1-episode-1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0078zs3/the-lost-prince-episode-1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0077p7l/shooting-the-past-episode-1
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:35:32 AM by Walkie »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4302 on: August 19, 2019, 04:31:15 PM »
Within the past month:

The Boys (a bit weak in the plot, but worth the eye candy)
Leverage on Amazon - one of my favorite series
Vera on BritBox
Keeping Up Appearances on BritBox (The PR thinks it's hilarious)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4303 on: August 19, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
"The Boys" sounds like a really interesting concept for a TV series. If we had Netflix/Amazon etc at home I would have trouble getting my kids to bed, myself to bed, anyone off to school or work in the mornings (myself included). It's bad enough already.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4304 on: August 20, 2019, 10:46:42 AM »

It's more of a kids/teens movie. I saw it with my kids at the cinema and we absolutely loved it.

If I saw it by myself on an airplane I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.

Maybe that's the mark of a really good movie, if it's still good when you the first time you watch it is on an airplane.

Honestly, I've found the opposite to be true. I set the bar lower on a plane. I doubt I would have finished watching this one at home.

- Albert Einstein