Educational

Author Topic: An opinion piece from Bermuda about double jeopardy  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: An opinion piece from Bermuda about double jeopardy
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2014, 06:02:53 AM »
The funny thing is, you have a way of saying that like the US is the only place where power corrupts. Thanks for the pity. If Lit were here,
I'd probably appreciate the distraction. :laugh:

That isn't my intention. I suppose it's at least partly because the US is, um, rather visible in this regard. *cough* the NSA *cough*

Sweden, for example, is rather boring in that respect. Sure, there's corruption, but there's just not enough power.

You have Wikileaks. :P

Sweden has a very small population, compared to America.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2014, 01:19:39 PM »
That isn't my intention. I suppose it's at least partly because the US is, um, rather visible in this regard. *cough* the NSA *cough*

Human rights violations committed by governments are global, and some much worse than the US. The US is rather visible because the world is obsess with looking at the US.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:22:02 PM by Jack »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2014, 02:30:16 AM »

Human rights violations committed by governments are global, and some much worse than the US. The US is rather visible because the world is obsess with looking at the US.

Not so, IMHO. The US tends to be in focus because it a) likes to be there, b) is a self-proclaimed guardian of democracy, and c) claims to be one.

Now, the last bit is true, mostly, but there are some fairly visible cracks on the surface, cracks that are rather difficult to ignore.

I should probably add d) it is powerful enough to stay in focus, and e) it doesn't just claim to be a democracy, it claims to be THE democracy.

Yes, there are far worse governments out there, but most of them either don't claim otherwise or their claims are so hollow that nobody gives them a second thought. North Korea and Russia spring to mind.

Something like this whole NSA business requires resources out of the ordinary but still only makes the news because it is so diametrically opposite to what the government in question claims to stand for.

Sweden, for example, does have its very own NSA scandal (yay us!) but nobody cares because they just don't have the power or the resources, and even if they were saying that they were here to guard democratic principles and whatnot, nobody would listen.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2014, 02:31:57 AM »
The funny thing is, you have a way of saying that like the US is the only place where power corrupts. Thanks for the pity. If Lit were here,

Sweden, for example, is rather boring in that respect. Sure, there's corruption, but there's just not enough power.

We don't have Wikileaks, no. But yes, the population is next to insignificant. Which, kind of, is my point.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2014, 06:58:11 AM »
Not so, IMHO. The US tends to be in focus because it a) likes to be there,
:laugh: The media feeds the people what they want to see. Have heard people question why the news is always negative; that's because people wouldn't otherwise watch the news. It's the same reason people read trashy tabloids. It brings to mind the bible with thorns and eyes. It's a business and foreign media bombards their public with American culture because that what sells.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2014, 12:56:09 AM »

We don't have Wikileaks, no. But yes, the population is next to insignificant. Which, kind of, is my point.

Indeed not. I must have gotten confused by Julian Assange being wanted in Sweden.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2014, 02:29:34 AM »
:laugh: The media feeds the people what they want to see. Have heard people question why the news is always negative; that's because people wouldn't otherwise watch the news. It's the same reason people read trashy tabloids. It brings to mind the bible with thorns and eyes. It's a business and foreign media bombards their public with American culture because that what sells.

I notice that you're not addressing my other points. :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2014, 02:30:26 AM »

Indeed not. I must have gotten confused by Julian Assange being wanted in Sweden.

Which is interesting mostly because of what Assange makes out if it.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2014, 05:58:31 AM »

Which is interesting mostly because of what Assange makes out if it.

He annoyed a lot of American politicians.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »

Thought addressing the first point also addressed the second one. Just because someone likes attention doesn't have much to do with if they get it. The news and people in Hollywood don't get my attention because I don't want to see it. Didn't really think the other points have anything to do with foreigners sitting around watching springer and cops, watching every scandal in our own news, eating our burgers and reading the latest on J-lo and beiber, and spending so much time talking about those things. It's because of an obsession, not anything to do with politics. Better now?

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »

Thought addressing the first point also addressed the second one. Just because someone likes attention doesn't have much to do with if they get it. The news and people in Hollywood don't get my attention because I don't want to see it. Didn't really think the other points have anything to do with foreigners sitting around watching springer and cops, watching every scandal in our own news, eating our burgers and reading the latest on J-lo and beiber, and spending so much time talking about those things. It's because of an obsession, not anything to do with politics. Better now?

Justin Bieber is Canadian. Don't lump him in with us. :M :orly:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
If he were operating in Canada, the rest of the world wouldn't care. :M

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
If he were operating in Canada, the rest of the world wouldn't care. :M

People care about Rob Ford.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »
Only the Canadians. :M

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »

Point b actually really annoyed me. Can't imagine why anyone would think Americans actually want to be presented to the world in the most negative light possible. There's no denying the world happily consumes anything and everything negative barfed up by the American media, consuming every aspect of our culture. Can't help but to envision people watching our garbage, eating and drinking our garbage, chatting about what stupid pieces of shit we all are, and all the while convinced it's being somehow shoved down their throats by the American people, and not fed to them by their own media because that's what they want. It probably makes it easier for people to ignore the negative aspects of their own culture, because after all, what's happening in American tabloids is so much more important.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:40:15 PM by Jack »