Author Topic: Iowa FTW  (Read 18008 times)

TheoK

Re: Iowa FTW
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2013, 02:30:53 AM »
---
Guns are not about freedom, basically. They have nothing to do with it other than on the surface, they are tools that can be used for just the opposite. In fact, they are more often used for just the opposite, in spite of what your 18th century principles would suggest.
---

So you can't shoot an oppressor with a gun anymore? Why? And you can't defend yourself against a criminal with it? And I don't mean because of laws that are to the disadvantage of the law-abiding like the idiotic gunlaw and law about self-defence here, I mean physically. Have the laws of nature changed since the 18th century?

TheoK

« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2013, 03:19:42 AM »
That ex military guy told me some things about the war in Bosnia. They had quite another view on your right to defend yourself and your property there. Those who were the victims were mainly those who believed that the state would protect them.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2013, 06:56:38 AM »
In other news, the earth wants to inact legislation from the milky way to enable hoodlum rogue elements out in space otherwise known as asteroids, to please get a life. hitting innocent planetary bodies without the right documentation is, well. a scandal

Loled. But there is a problem. I'm being overly critical, I know. But think about this, okay? I obviously see the satirical comparison on unfeeling asteroids to unfeeling psychopaths, but I think one may be a little more easy to control than the other, don't you?

Which one?

Serious question, BTW.

Flesh and blood psychos.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2013, 06:59:41 AM »

I don't understand how your right to gun ownership is so encapsulating.  Just the mere mention of any form of gun 'control'  seems to spark a reaction like this.   

Is it really the be all and end all of life?   For people to exercise their right to bear arms.  Even if they can't see?

I may be mistaken, but I get the idea that this dominates the brains of some American's a bit too much.

Perhaps I don't 'get it' because I live in a different part of the world.   :dunno:

I for my part never understood why not all people had the American view on guns, no matter their own gunlaws. How can you not think that owning a gun for self-defence is a right? It has puzzled me since I was 5 years old and my dad told me how hard it was to legally get a gun in Sweden vs. America.

I suppose I used to too.  I love gun's.  Used one in the army (although spent more time polishing and cleaning the mofo than firing it)

When I first moved into this house alone (before the urchin) i paid a lot of money for a Beretta pistol.  I was scared (Birmingham is twinned with scumsville) and had been burgled at my previous address.  I  came home to find them still upstairs ransacking my knickers drawer.  Hence the reason i got the pistol.

I rarely talk about it, and don't brag about it because it is gone.  One night while I was asleep on my sofa someone came through my patio door (ok ok it wasn't locked) and took the fucker from my hand.  While I slept.

Despite this, I still kept my views about owning a gun and that didn't change until I became a mom and this coincided with several 'massacre' incidents in the US involving children.  This made me believe that children have a right to grow up free from fear of being gunned down in their playground and that their right to do this supersedes anyone else's right to own a gun.  I know it is not that simple.  I can conveniently make it simple living in England.  :tard:

I ask you this with as much respect as possible... (seriously, no attempt at trolling)

Do you believe that another's rights end where your feelings begin?

Do you side with safety or freedom?

What if someone wanted to take away coffee because a child had a caffeine overdose? Would you have the same opinion?

What if someone wanted to take away cars because a child was hit by one? Would you have the same opinion?

I can't muster the minimal amount of energy required to answer your caffeine and car question.  I think my sarcasm would confuse you too much.

FWIW I really couldn't give two shits and a fuck if you have guns.  Stories of people shooting each other in America cause me little or no reaction.  Gangs, police, burglars - I am indifferent.  I wouldn't bother to comment if it was limited to these groups.

It isn't, though, is it? 

I can't speak for the world and his wife but I tend to take notice when kids are massacred.  Call me crazy,  but those tiny white coffins bother the hell out of me.

I don't have the solution.  Maybe some of the things suggested might not work.  Fucking try?  JUST TRY MAKING IT A LITTLE BIT HARDER FOR NUTTERS TO GET HOLD OF THESE WEAPONS!

Do nothing and the past will keep repeating.  Any potential nutjob  in the making already knows how to go out with a bang.  They know already  who to target to make 'world' news? 

Or just don't bother.  Keep your kids as sitting ducks.  Then whine again about your rights every time it happens.  If it hasn't already, it will soon become less shocking.  Hurt less.  You could even extend your 'rights for all' to kids themselves!  Opportunity knocks for someone to design a nice lightweight weapon to fit in a school satchel. 

My answer to you is about as respectful as your questions to me.   Still happy to talk to Rage or Lit who have not asked silly questions.

A better solution is to treat the "nutters" before they shoot anyone. Rather than viewing them as evil, view them as sick. If you're looking to prevent school shootings, then take steps to prevent people from becoming school shooters. Stop bullying: 87% of school shooters were victims of bullying. Institute a system to allow for quick intervention if someone discusses a shooting. Fund more social workers in schools. These are all steps that could help. Ultimately, the problem isn't the guns; it's the people. Guns are just tools: they can be used for good or for evil, depending on the user.

If you think TA's trolling, even though he said otherwise, then believe so. However, I ask his question again: do you generally believe that it's better to be safe or to be free in areas where those values conflict? It seems like you have chosen safety over freedom. I would choose the opposite.

Source

How would you find them? How would you spot the loner who might bring his dad's gun to school one day but leave be the other loner who is, I dunno, a spazz, like you and me? And if the former said "no, I promise, I won't shoot anyone, never even entertained the idea", would you bring him in by force?

And how would that be supporting your notion of personal freedom?

Your logic is faulty, Odeon. Although it seems to work, you can't work backwards from who is destined to be a school shooter. People have free will, and they control their own destinies. It's a matter of probabilities and warning signs. As for the actual process, here are two links that outline the general principles.

Quote from: odeon
You seem like a rational person, Semi, rational and reasonable, but I sense the opposite when discussing guns.

Guns are not about freedom, basically. They have nothing to do with it other than on the surface, they are tools that can be used for just the opposite. In fact, they are more often used for just the opposite, in spite of what your 18th century principles would suggest.

A gun is a tool in the sense that a screwdriver is a tool. I already said that. Whether it is used for good or evil depends on the user.

Quote from: Odeon
But the question here is why the fuck anyone in their right mind would think it's OK to give a gun to someone legally blind, shrug and say that they are just as liable as anyone else?

You talk about prevention in one case but reject the idea in another.

I don't see any contradiction. Responsible gun ownership is a matter of individual capability. You keep posting bare assertions instead of backing yourself up, as if we're all supposed to accept without proof that no legally blind people is capable of using a gun. There are many types of blind. Do you think that all blind people see nothing except a cloud of black?

Rather than letting stereotypes of the blind rule the discussion, let's have some evidence. Here is a series of pictures that depict the US definition of "legally blind". Look especially at the last one. Would you argue that an individual with that impairment couldn't go to a shooting range and safely blast a few holes in a paper target?

Don't be so mean, semicolon. Feelings are more important than logic. And by the way, nobody actually shot down my proposal for military training for using a gun. Much like a driver's license, you could have a gun license which shows that you are capable of using a firearm correctly, saftley, and skillfully. To qualify with a rifle, i'm pretty sure you have to be able to use it and hit a target, so if you're too blind to do that, you fail and don't get your license?

Is something wrong with that suggestion, O-man?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:39:10 AM by RageBeoulve »
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »

I don't understand how your right to gun ownership is so encapsulating.  Just the mere mention of any form of gun 'control'  seems to spark a reaction like this.   

Is it really the be all and end all of life?   For people to exercise their right to bear arms.  Even if they can't see?

I may be mistaken, but I get the idea that this dominates the brains of some American's a bit too much.

Perhaps I don't 'get it' because I live in a different part of the world.   :dunno:

I for my part never understood why not all people had the American view on guns, no matter their own gunlaws. How can you not think that owning a gun for self-defence is a right? It has puzzled me since I was 5 years old and my dad told me how hard it was to legally get a gun in Sweden vs. America.

I suppose I used to too.  I love gun's.  Used one in the army (although spent more time polishing and cleaning the mofo than firing it)

When I first moved into this house alone (before the urchin) i paid a lot of money for a Beretta pistol.  I was scared (Birmingham is twinned with scumsville) and had been burgled at my previous address.  I  came home to find them still upstairs ransacking my knickers drawer.  Hence the reason i got the pistol.

I rarely talk about it, and don't brag about it because it is gone.  One night while I was asleep on my sofa someone came through my patio door (ok ok it wasn't locked) and took the fucker from my hand.  While I slept.

Despite this, I still kept my views about owning a gun and that didn't change until I became a mom and this coincided with several 'massacre' incidents in the US involving children.  This made me believe that children have a right to grow up free from fear of being gunned down in their playground and that their right to do this supersedes anyone else's right to own a gun.  I know it is not that simple.  I can conveniently make it simple living in England.  :tard:

I ask you this with as much respect as possible... (seriously, no attempt at trolling)

What if someone wanted to take away coffee because a child had a caffeine overdose? Would you have the same opinion?

What if someone wanted to take away cars because a child was hit by one? Would you have the same opinion?

I can't muster the minimal amount of energy required to answer your caffeine and car question.  I think my sarcasm would confuse you too much.

FWIW I really couldn't give two shits and a fuck if you have guns.  Stories of people shooting each other in America cause me little or no reaction.  Gangs, police, burglars - I am indifferent.  I wouldn't bother to comment if it was limited to these groups.

It isn't, though, is it? 

I can't speak for the world and his wife but I tend to take notice when kids are massacred.  Call me crazy,  but those tiny white coffins bother the hell out of me.

I don't have the solution.  Maybe some of the things suggested might not work.  Fucking try?  JUST TRY MAKING IT A LITTLE BIT HARDER FOR NUTTERS TO GET HOLD OF THESE WEAPONS!

Do nothing and the past will keep repeating.  Any potential nutjob  in the making already knows how to go out with a bang.  They know already  who to target to make 'world' news? 

Or just don't bother.  Keep your kids as sitting ducks.  Then whine again about your rights every time it happens.  If it hasn't already, it will soon become less shocking.  Hurt less.  You could even extend your 'rights for all' to kids themselves!  Opportunity knocks for someone to design a nice lightweight weapon to fit in a school satchel. 

My answer to you is about as respectful as your questions to me.   Still happy to talk to Rage or Lit who have not asked silly questions.
You honestly think I was asking you loaded questions and being disrespectful? Fine, I will engage you no further.

I still have the utmost respect for you, but good day to you madam.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2013, 12:27:03 AM »

It isn't, though, is it? 

You honestly think I was asking you loaded questions and being disrespectful? Fine, I will engage you no further.

I still have the utmost respect for you, but good day to you madam.

I do apologise TA,  I think I may have been wearing my stroppy drawers that day. :emosad:   Sorry if i over reacted.
blah blah blah

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2013, 03:20:55 AM »

It isn't, though, is it? 

A better solution is to treat the "nutters" before they shoot anyone. Rather than viewing them as evil, view them as sick. If you're looking to prevent school shootings, then take steps to prevent people from becoming school shooters. Stop bullying: 87% of school shooters were victims of bullying. Institute a system to allow for quick intervention if someone discusses a shooting. Fund more social workers in schools. These are all steps that could help. Ultimately, the problem isn't the guns; it's the people. Guns are just tools: they can be used for good or for evil, depending on the user.

If you think TA's trolling, even though he said otherwise, then believe so. However, I ask his question again: do you generally believe that it's better to be safe or to be free in areas where those values conflict? It seems like you have chosen safety over freedom. I would choose the opposite.

Source

How would you find them? How would you spot the loner who might bring his dad's gun to school one day but leave be the other loner who is, I dunno, a spazz, like you and me? And if the former said "no, I promise, I won't shoot anyone, never even entertained the idea", would you bring him in by force?

And how would that be supporting your notion of personal freedom?

Your logic is faulty, Odeon. Although it seems to work, you can't work backwards from who is destined to be a school shooter. People have free will, and they control their own destinies. It's a matter of probabilities and warning signs. As for the actual process, here are two links that outline the general principles.

How is my logic faulty? I asked how you'd spot the nutters you wanted to treat. I pointed out that it isn't a realistic option because you'd have to find them first.

Yes, quite a few of them were bullied but guess what: even more people were bullied but never went on to shoot anyone.

Call me crazy but I'd not limit myself to a single plan t prevent future shootings; I'd make sure to limit access, too. I know, it hurts your 'merican notions of freedom but that is a more fundamental difference between you and me than anything else here.

Quote from: odeon
You seem like a rational person, Semi, rational and reasonable, but I sense the opposite when discussing guns.

A gun is a tool in the sense that a screwdriver is a tool. I already said that. Whether it is used for good or evil depends on the user.

Which is sort of what I said, above, but I do believe a comparison with a screwdriver is fundamentally flawed. Pretty sure most armies aren't equipped with screwdrivers.

Quote from: Odeon
But the question here is why the fuck anyone in their right mind would think it's OK to give a gun to someone legally blind, shrug and say that they are just as liable as anyone else?

You talk about prevention in one case but reject the idea in another.

I don't see any contradiction. Responsible gun ownership is a matter of individual capability. You keep posting bare assertions instead of backing yourself up, as if we're all supposed to accept without proof that no legally blind people is capable of using a gun. There are many types of blind. Do you think that all blind people see nothing except a cloud of black?

Rather than letting stereotypes of the blind rule the discussion, let's have some evidence. Here is a series of pictures that depict the US definition of "legally blind". Look especially at the last one. Would you argue that an individual with that impairment couldn't go to a shooting range and safely blast a few holes in a paper target?

These image are approximations, created to give someone with normal vision *some* idea of the problems involved. A very simple addition would be to add how poor lighting conditions affect the vision, but even that would have to be simulated.

But if this was about a tool used at a shooting range, I probably would not protest too much. But that's not the case here, is it? Be honest.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2013, 03:27:47 AM »
---
---

So you can't shoot an oppressor with a gun anymore? Why? And you can't defend yourself against a criminal with it? And I don't mean because of laws that are to the disadvantage of the law-abiding like the idiotic gunlaw and law about self-defence here, I mean physically. Have the laws of nature changed since the 18th century?

???

Not sure what you're on about here.

You can, obviously. My comment about 18th century principles refers to the overthrowing a corrupt government with guns party line.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2013, 03:28:37 AM »
In other news, the earth wants to inact legislation from the milky way to enable hoodlum rogue elements out in space otherwise known as asteroids, to please get a life. hitting innocent planetary bodies without the right documentation is, well. a scandal

Loled. But there is a problem. I'm being overly critical, I know. But think about this, okay? I obviously see the satirical comparison on unfeeling asteroids to unfeeling psychopaths, but I think one may be a little more easy to control than the other, don't you?

Which one?

Serious question, BTW.

Flesh and blood psychos.

And how's that working out for you, so far? :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2013, 03:39:41 AM »
Don't be so mean, semicolon. Feelings are more important than logic.

Feelings?

How is it not logical to suggest that a person with poor eyesight not be allowed to handle a gun in a state where a legal use is to defend yourself from intruders in your home? If anything, Semi is the one to appeal to feelings when confusing the matter with personal freedoms and other matters of personal bias.

And by the way, nobody actually shot down my proposal for military training for using a gun. Much like a driver's license, you could have a gun license which shows that you are capable of using a firearm correctly, saftley, and skillfully. To qualify with a rifle, i'm pretty sure you have to be able to use it and hit a target, so if you're too blind to do that, you fail and don't get your license?

Is something wrong with that suggestion, O-man?

No, it's a rational one. I would add realistic lighting conditions to the test, though.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2013, 04:01:19 AM »
---
---

???

Not sure what you're on about here.

You can, obviously. My comment about 18th century principles refers to the overthrowing a corrupt government with guns party line.

You can shoot the government, just like you could 200 years ago. It's a bit more difficult since they have bodyguards etc, but on the other side the rifles are much superior today.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2013, 06:12:38 AM »
I don't really understand when you say  "shoot the government"

I get the self defence reason.  You know shooting a burglar,  or protecting your family. 

The Police.  Yeah I get this too to some degree.  I find police to be corrupt too.  If the police crazies have guns then can see why you'd want one too.

The Government -  I am lost here.  Why would you need guns?  Do you mean the army.  When/where/why would the US government attack it's own people?
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2013, 06:27:39 AM »
The idea with the 2nd Amendment is that the people of the US should be able to overthrow a corrupt government.

The government is of course not attacking the population in person but using the military. You can't defeat the US military directly, so the alternative is to go for the government directly.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2013, 07:16:45 AM »
It seems quite bizarre in a place where government are voted in by the people.

blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2013, 07:32:06 AM »
It seems quite bizarre in a place where government are voted in by the people.

Yes.

The original thought was probably either that a government that was voted in would become totally dictatorial or that someone took over by force.