Author Topic: Iowa FTW  (Read 17912 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Iowa FTW
« Reply #840 on: October 09, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
I dont see how that quote from odeon suggests he hates amerca

My guess is that outsiders aren't allowed to criticise it, only praise it.  /shrugs

Honestly, speaking as a "proud 'merican,"  it has often been the praise of outsiders (whose money we wanted to flow onto our shores) that has caused us to continually overstep our borders, acting as the world's police force.

"Never let the $$$ stop!!"

I sometimes wonder what we could have made of ourselves if we had just said, "NO!" more often (to both outsiders and ourselves) and kept our own $$$ at home to support each other, instead of propping up half the world artificially.

I can only think of a few examples where a "democracy intent"  has successfully replaced tyranny.

:'(

The US is a superpower and its economy, troubled as it may be, is huge and isolationist politics simply wouldn't work. Like it or not, you need to keep that $$$ flowing.

As for acting as the world's police force, I can think of a few instances where you should have said no to yourselves and some where you should have said no to others. But the role comes with the territory, I'm afraid.

While that may be in evidence, I would have wished for a little less projection of our own hubris.

:angel:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #841 on: October 09, 2013, 10:35:13 PM »
I didn't know one has to live in 'merica to be allowed to criticise its constitution. I've seen you discuss the rest of the world, yet I'm pretty sure you've never lived anywhere outside the US. What's the difference, in your opinion?

VERY RARELY, have I criticized other cultures, or their laws. And only when they affect citizens of mine directly. I have very often and quite aggressively been critical of my own country and its actions in other countries though. And I have been critical of the general hatred for my country.

That's the difference.

Here's the thing, Rage.

I live in a country that is quite insignificant, to be perfectly honest. I like it, even though there are things that are wrong and fucked up, and so mostly it's a good place to live. Its actions in the world are largely inconsequential, however, and in many ways, the actions of your country have more effect here than whatever my government does.

And what's more, I doubt you know enough to discuss my country's problems in any detail. I'm not blaming you, it's simply that very little here warrants the attention of the rest of the world. I suppose we might be more on par with each other if discussing China or Japan, two countries that affect us both.

But when it comes to my country, you wouldn't know what to say. Simple as that.

THAT is a difference, so don't kid yourself.

But what you choose to talk about is hardly the point. The fact that you are implying that there are subjects I shouldn't touch is. I have not insulted your country or its inhabitants. I have criticised your laws and your constitution, and will continue doing so when I want to.

Live with it.

And I will continue to attack that behavior. Forever. ;)

OMG, the things the good people of this board will have to suffer through. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #842 on: October 09, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
For being a constitution I think it is the greatest one ever written. Which one would be greater?

^Agreed. Answer this question, Jagger. What is wrong with it, exactly? Why are so many people deadest on destroying it?

"Criticise" does not equal "destroy".

You should stop acting as if it was your religion.

You put your foot in your mouth again. There actually are a lot of people in my country(you've never been here) that would like to see the constitution destroyed. They think its just in the way.

Huh? "Criticise" *does* equal "destroy"?!?!?

So it's untouchable? Glad it had at least a couple of amendments before it became a religion. /shrugs
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #843 on: October 09, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »

My guess is that outsiders aren't allowed to criticise it, only praise it.  /shrugs

Honestly, speaking as a "proud 'merican,"  it has often been the praise of outsiders (whose money we wanted to flow onto our shores) that has caused us to continually overstep our borders, acting as the world's police force.

I sometimes wonder what we could have made of ourselves if we had just said, "NO!" more often (to both outsiders and ourselves) and kept our own $$$ at home to support each other, instead of propping up half the world artificially.

I can only think of a few examples where a "democracy intent"  has successfully replaced tyranny.

The US is a superpower and its economy, troubled as it may be, is huge and isolationist politics simply wouldn't work. Like it or not, you need to keep that $$$ flowing.

As for acting as the world's police force, I can think of a few instances where you should have said no to yourselves and some where you should have said no to others. But the role comes with the territory, I'm afraid.

While that may be in evidence, I would have wished for a little less projection of our own hubris.

Hubris can be a good thing, in moderation. You have to think you can do it, that you are right. But when you stop questioning and start acting as if it's a god-given right, you need to take a few steps back and rethink.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #844 on: October 10, 2013, 06:24:46 AM »
Odeon, just about 25 years ago there were 150000 submachine guns in private homes in Sweden. How come that no one went beserk with them? Just because those guys were members of the home guard? Not a single person flipped with them.

(Now he will say that it is because they were members of the home guard.)

For my part I think it has more to do with mentality. People rarely went beserk with guns in Sweden even when you could buy a revolver for five kronor at a pawnbroker's.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 06:29:12 AM by Lit »

TheoK

« Reply #845 on: October 10, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »
By the way: these psychopaths, the politicians, aren't content with the enormous wealth and power that they already have, so they start wars for faked reasons to torture and murder totally innocent people to get richer and more powerful. Yet you are saying that this system is still better than a system where no single individual can ever get such power  :facepalm2:

TheoK

« Reply #846 on: October 10, 2013, 09:07:19 AM »
One more thing: when we discussed this another time, I told a story about a neonazi with a totally clean record, who got his gun licenses revoked after having them for 25 years. You said that that was right. So you are in favour of punishing people for thought crimes. So you are an elitist, just like said neonazi, though you consider your own elitism "nobler".

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #847 on: October 10, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »

Hubris can be a good thing, in moderation. You have to think you can do it, that you are right. But when you stop questioning and start acting as if it's a god-given right, you need to take a few steps back and rethink.

Dude, you don't get it. There actually are a lot of people in my country that are trying to actually do away with its constitution. No kidding. To make matters worse, most of these people haven't even read it, and would refuse to do so if offered a copy.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

TheoK

« Reply #848 on: October 10, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
Because they are politically correct cunts. Those people rarely have a clue what they are talking about, but they demand to have things done their way nonetheless.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #849 on: October 10, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »
Because they are politically correct cunts. Those people rarely have a clue what they are talking about, but they demand to have things done their way nonetheless.

I would be much more receptive to my countrymen's opinion if they could recite one amendment of the bill of rights in the constitution they claim to hate so much.
I will never stop...

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #850 on: October 10, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »

Yeah.

While "we"  assume a GG right, we are still in question for our lack of successes.

A few steps back might have been advisable for the good of the world in the eighties, after the "Cold War" was decided.

I can just think of a few other ways we coulda/shoulda/woulda gone, if we had been a bit less interested in the only way history has proven to us that we can "create"  $$$  out of empty space. Empty space means, feed the economy; go make a war!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #851 on: October 14, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »

Dude, you don't get it. There actually are a lot of people in my country that are trying to actually do away with its constitution. No kidding. To make matters worse, most of these people haven't even read it, and would refuse to do so if offered a copy.

Did you bother to read the above exchange before posting, Rage?

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #852 on: October 15, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »

Did you bother to read the above exchange before posting, Rage?

Yep. The people in my country you might think are questioning what you would call "god given rights", are actually following a religion themselves and giving no thought to most anything they do.
I will never stop...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #853 on: October 15, 2013, 10:46:18 PM »
That makes no sense. Are you criticising DD for holding an opinion different from yours? What are you saying?

As for religions, you are the one to blow up if your constitution is put into question. You are the one to treat it like a religion, not DD.

But we've been there.

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #854 on: October 16, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »
That makes no sense. Are you criticising DD for holding an opinion different from yours? What are you saying?

As for religions, you are the one to blow up if your constitution is put into question. You are the one to treat it like a religion, not DD.

But we've been there.

No i'm not. I'm criticizing you for being way off the mark. I have not "blown up" when you criticized my country's constitution. I'm annoyed that you even think its your business to talk about. Especially since you have no constructive suggestions as an alternative.
I will never stop...