Educational

Author Topic: would you give me your heart?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: would you give me your heart?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
In Wales they recently changed (or are planning to change) to an opt-out system

Which is how it should be imo

Well, actually, I would say a system where no one can opt in OR out is better. Dead people don't have rights

I cant think of anything more fucking selfish than denying others the right to life when you're dead yourselvf and have noneed for them

imo if you opt out of organ donation, you should be automatically sent to the back of the waiting list if YOU ever need an organ

Ive been on the organ donor register since I was 15 and also carry a card. I don't give blood though for health reasons

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 12:36:46 PM »
Dude how do you not know if you signed up to have your organs cut out when you die?
well in Arizona they only do it for people with drivers licence. I think, I only have a ID so we obviously don't matter.  :laugh:
:skywarp:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
Dude how do you not know if you signed up to have your organs cut out when you die?
well in Arizona they only do it for people with drivers licence. I think, I only have a ID so we obviously don't matter.  :laugh:

Ahh I see.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 12:58:45 PM »
I don't know.
I just have these visions of being in an accident and someone standing over me while looking at my shitty medical coverage, lack of immediate family, and saying "lets not even bother" and breaking out the meat saw before I'm dead because some senator needs a kidney. :LOL:

Not that there might be much quality organs to choose from.

Giving blood I don't have a problem with, but I've had nurses even refuse to draw blood from me for tests and refer me elsewhere after countless pokes without hitting anything.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
Ive never got round to getting a donor card, which is pretty stupid when I often drive around on a scooter :laugh:
I have made it clear to my family though, that if I am killed, they should let the doctors use whatever bits of me that they can.

TheoK

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 02:00:28 PM »
Driving around on a scooter is  :viking:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
Running is more  :viking:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
Driving around on a scooter is  :viking:

Its not really  :viking:  When I move to Budapest, Im thinking about getting myself a really fast Japanese motorbike, and travelling around Hungary on it. That will be  :viking:

TheoK

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 02:17:54 PM »
 :agreed:

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »
Owning a fast motorbike is :viking: but I'd advice you to not go for a very heavy bike here, Butterflies. There are scooters/mopeds around with only 80 to 120 cc (one) cylinder content that ride pretty pretty nice.

Well, blah.. suit self, ofc.. but say a 1000cc motorbike under your bum seems like überly brave, in my opinion, now.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
Owning a fast motorbike is :viking: but I'd advice you to not go for a very heavy bike here, Butterflies. There are scooters/mopeds around with only 80 to 120 cc (one) cylinder content that ride pretty pretty nice.

Well, blah.. suit self, ofc.. but say a 1000cc motorbike under your bum seems like überly brave, in my opinion, now.

The scooter I have now is 125cc, and TBH, it just feels too slow. Ive no idea if I would go as high as 1000cc though. The bike I have now can get close to 70mph, and slightly higher on a long straight road.

The scooter I have now isn't valuable enough to make it worth my while bringing it abroad, so I will need to buy something when I get there. I have a feeling that my aunt and uncle would have kittens if I was thinking about buying a 1000cc bike :laugh:
It will probably end up as a compromise in the end. I would want a 1000cc death machine, and they would want me on a moped :laugh: We'll probably settle on something in the middle.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
I am not bothered what they do with me when I am dead.

I have never understood why people make such a hoo ha about it.   We live in a world where living, breathing human beings get tortured, abused or starved.  Worry about that before worrying about what happens to dead people.

Not 100% sure but I think even if you carry a donor card the wishes of your family come first. 
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »

I have never understood why people make such a hoo ha about it.   We live in a world where living, breathing human beings get tortured, abused or starved.  Worry about that before worrying about what happens to dead people.

Not 100% sure but I think even if you carry a donor card the wishes of your family come first.

Here you don't have to carry your card anymore, once you are registered. And, in the registration you can give family a bigger say in it, or a less big say. I've been pondering on changing it, for the coming few years, but till now have not. I think my girls would find it very hard seeing me breathe, when knowing I'm dead. But, they might also find some comfort in knowing parts of me would help others live.

I'm not donating blood. I get dizzy, on the brink of fainting, when they take more than four vials for blood testing. I can watch without flinching when they take less than that. So, thought giving a pint on a regular basis was not a good idea.

If I get somewhere where they need O neg urgently, I'll make myself available.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »

Quote from: The Guardian
Proposals for NHS staff to prevent families overriding the wishes of people who have died while on the organ donor register are being considered by ministers amid moves to boost the number of organ transplants in the UK.

A strategy for bringing about a shift in people's behaviour "comparable to the changes achieved in preventing drink-driving or stopping smoking" is included in a draft document outlining ways of making big increases in organ donations and transplants. The NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) believes a more firm but polite stance with bereaved families would ensure donors' wishes were more often respected – at present they are overridden in 45% of cases.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/11/organ-donation-drive-prevent-overriding

It's kinda shocking. Technically, my mum's probably my next of kin, and to think that someone I dislike would have the ability to override my wishes seems sick.

Not that I think my mum would do that.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »
The cut-off age for organ donation in the US is 70.  I can understand that, but would think that skin donations would be allowed.  I only have a little over 6 years before the cut-off.  At least I can give blood after 70.

Nope, Rage.  Royalty can only be gained through birth, temperment, up-bringing or marriage. 

Besides those castles can be awfully drafty and damp.  That's why we make so many public appearances.  We're trying to warm up and dry off.

Here they have different age criteria for different organs and tissues. The cornea can be donated up to 86 years. Skin to 81. For a donor with a heartbeat, there are no age limits for kidneys and the liver, depending on the conditions, of course.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!