Educational

Author Topic: Terror attack in Boston?  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Terror attack in Boston?
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
All is well trust the government they know whats best for you.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »

The opposite of what America actually stands for. :zoinks:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »

This is the new better America we care trust us and all will be well :)

George Bernard Shaw

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »

This is the new better America we care trust us and all will be well :)

Well you guys talk a good game, but i'd rather shoot you all center mass with this rifle i'm allowed to own. Because I say so. Not you. Fuck the elite.

(lol)
I will never stop...

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2013, 02:17:06 AM »
If media covered America the way we cover foreign cultures

April 22, 2013

You really need to be following the writing of Sarah Kendzior this week as she rips the major media outlets for their utter incompetence in understanding the role of race, ethnicity and nationality in the Boston Marathon bombing. The fact is: we don’t know what motivated these men. There will be a trial – and then we will know more. In the mean time, the American media has been throwing out every possible stereotype (indomitable mountain men!!!) and disjointed factoid from Wikipedia their interns could gather.

Now, Juan Cole isn’t really “the media,” and I normally enjoy his analysis of Middle East affairs quite a bit – but I was perplexed by his trying to use 19th century literature to explain Monday’s actions in absence of thorough knowledge about the motive’s of the alleged bombers.

“They were playing the nihilists Arkady and Bazarov in Turgenev’s Fathers and Sons,” explained scholar Juan Cole, citing an 1862 Russian novel to explain the motives of a criminal whose Twitter account was full of American rap lyrics. One does not recall such use of literary devices to ascertain the motives of less exotic perpetrators, but who knows? Perhaps some ambitious analyst is plumbing the works of Faulkner to shed light on that Mississippi Elvis impersonator who tried to send ricin to Obama.

Cole’s connection to philosophical nihilism might be a stretch, but it’s sure a lot better than those hyperventilating that one of the suspects was named after a brutal Mongol warlord!!! As my own son is named after the Norman conqueror who slaughtered Saxons to dominate England, I find this analysis unhelpful.

Why can we not just say, “I don’t know. Nobody knows. This was horrible. Our justice system will tell us the rest?” That would be honest, calm and dignified – but this is the American media we are talking about.

Now, for those of you without backgrounds in intercultural analysis, maybe this doesn’t seem too ridiculous. Let me illustrate how inaccurate such wild speculations would sound if it were about a culture you did understand.

Let us say that a guy got drunk at a bar outside of Mobile, Alabama,  got in a fight with some dudes about University of Alabama versus Ole Miss college football, and ended up shooting them dead in the parking lot.

Terrible, right? Stupid, violent, too many damn guns, shame, right?

Now imagine that some foreigners slapped a crappy pseudo-anthropological analysis on top, full of weird historical references, non-sequitur references to the church, and misguided assumptions about ethnicity.

DATELINE APRIL 21, 2013

IT HAS HAPPENED AGAIN, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN:

Yet another massacre has occurred in the historically war-torn region of the Southern United States – and so soon after the religious festival of Easter.

Brian McConkey, 27, a Christian fundamentalist militiaman living in the formerly occupied territory of Alabama, gunned down three men from an opposing tribe in the village square near Montgomery, the capitol, over a discussion that may have involved the rituals of the local football cult. In this region full of heavily-armed local warlords and radical Christian clerics, gun violence is part of the life of many.

Many of the militiamen here are ethnic Scots-Irish tribesmen, a famously indomitable mountain people who have killed civilized men – and each other – for centuries. It appears that the wars that started on the fields of Bannockburn and Stirling have come to America.

As the sun sets over the former Confederate States of America, one wonders – can peace ever come to this land?

Sometimes, people are in a cult of violence tied up with religious fundamentalism and nationalistic terror groups.

Sometimes, they are just savages who come from a place that might have churches and politically-motivated knuckleheads.

Being a real analyst of international affairs, you need to understand how subtle that difference can be.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2013, 05:18:48 AM »
So, we have the Patriot Act and the National Defense Authorization Act, what will they use this for if they keep to the principle of never let a crisis go to waste?

They said they found bomb making plans on the Internet, so CISPA?
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2013, 06:01:19 AM »
Here's a nice vid of people voluntarily letting the police search there homes after being asked in a friendly manner.

I think that would cause me to have a meltdown.

Me to, I wonder if I would have been shot :zombiefuck:
1.  The person who filmed and posted that may be in worlds of trouble for taking unauthorized video of police.  (Recordings with sound can't be taken without consent, and police get super-pissy about being filmed, of course.  And can make your life hell if you piss 'em off)
2.  The violation of having your home raided by cops is something I think most people can barely conceptualize.  And the cops can make it worse if they want to- not just tearing things apart, but also just destroying things, because they can.  It's not just a search tactic, it's also a way to intimidate and send a message.  What can be done in an hour or two can take literally MONTHS to properly undo, depending on how much energy you have to rebuild that which was destroyed.

Actually to your first point, you are wrong. They have appeal an old loophole a few times and it has always been struck down.

That said not only is the rest of what you said is true BUT even though you are allowed to film them. Perfectly legal. They DO get pissy and there is nothing REALLY that you can do once they decide to get pissy, as they get exonerated for their overreactions.
Really?  Someone remind me to try and hunt down some official-seeming info on this US law (or do it for me!  I am a lazy 'merican after all), because I was pretty damn sure recording with sound without consent or warrant was still illegal.

You are right though- either way, you piss off cops, you're making scary-ass enemies.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »
First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press. ..." This has been interpreted to mean that no government entity may curtail free speech and press activities. Photography in its broadest sense is protected as a form of free expression; however, constitutional protections are not absolute and may be subject to "reasonable time, place and manner restrictions," and the main keyword is "reasonable.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »
The U.S. Constitution says lots of things but people don't always want to pay attention or want to interpret their own way.  While photography is protected as you said in broad terms does it matter that much when they treat you like this or they arrest you make you get a lawyer then toss the case? 

George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »
I think that in western Europe only German cops come and get people in military vehicles and only when suspected for terrorism.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
I will never stop...

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press. ..." This has been interpreted to mean that no government entity may curtail free speech and press activities. Photography in its broadest sense is protected as a form of free expression; however, constitutional protections are not absolute and may be subject to "reasonable time, place and manner restrictions," and the main keyword is "reasonable.

Although it says that. there are laws against filming the police. They recently passed a law in (Illinois?) which allows people to film police, so that the cops can't demand they stop filming.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »

Although it says that. there are laws against filming the police. They recently passed a law in (Illinois?) which allows people to film police, so that the cops can't demand they stop filming.

No use trying to make sense of things at this point. All thats left is to either fall in line and learn fifty new reules monthly, or start movements demanding these fucks to back off.
I will never stop...

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »
So, we have the Patriot Act and the National Defense Authorization Act, what will they use this for if they keep to the principle of never let a crisis go to waste?

They said they found bomb making plans on the Internet, so CISPA?
the pressure cooking pot calling the kettle black act.
Misunderstood.