Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 136554 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #5055 on: February 06, 2009, 03:32:33 PM »
slept and coughed
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5056 on: February 06, 2009, 05:23:01 PM »

a bunch of fractals
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #5057 on: February 06, 2009, 05:37:43 PM »
Wrote an angry email to the school.

I hope the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

Not by a long shot, unfortunately. A kid in my son's class punched him in the throat yesterday, yet the school is doing very little.

That's awful.  Was your son injured?  Was the kid who hit him a 'typical' child?

He got a scare, that's all, but he was lucky. An inch or two to the left and he would have ended up in the hospital, or worse.

It's a police matter now. The kid was placed in my son's class just a few weeks ago, without any sort of advance warning or heads-up. He's what they call a "problem child", and he's been busy bullying other kids, stealing stuff from everyone in sight, including teachers. Plus he's into martial arts, from what I hear.

They sent him home yesterday, and now I'm trying to force them to move him elsewhere. I've been busy writing letters.

Good.  I'm glad that they are doing something now because that's not a safe situation for anyone, not even the aggressor.

Another autistic child grabbed my daughter's neck because she was on the computer in their classroom, he wanted to use it, and he was having trouble waiting for his turn.  Another time, he pulled her hair while she was swinging on the playground.  He was 15 years old and over six feet tall and the teachers who dealt with him started wearing heavy gauntlets over their arms because of his aggressiveness.  They wound up finding him another placement, although I don't know the details due to the teachers respecting his privacy. 

We're worried about what will happen if he isn't moved. :(
If other parents complain enough then eventually something will happen. It does not necessarily mean that he needs to be moved though, there are other ways of dealing with it which I imagine they are supposed to try first.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5058 on: February 06, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »

Not by a long shot, unfortunately. A kid in my son's class punched him in the throat yesterday, yet the school is doing very little.

That's awful.  Was your son injured?  Was the kid who hit him a 'typical' child?

He got a scare, that's all, but he was lucky. An inch or two to the left and he would have ended up in the hospital, or worse.

It's a police matter now. The kid was placed in my son's class just a few weeks ago, without any sort of advance warning or heads-up. He's what they call a "problem child", and he's been busy bullying other kids, stealing stuff from everyone in sight, including teachers. Plus he's into martial arts, from what I hear.

They sent him home yesterday, and now I'm trying to force them to move him elsewhere. I've been busy writing letters.

Good.  I'm glad that they are doing something now because that's not a safe situation for anyone, not even the aggressor.

Another autistic child grabbed my daughter's neck because she was on the computer in their classroom, he wanted to use it, and he was having trouble waiting for his turn.  Another time, he pulled her hair while she was swinging on the playground.  He was 15 years old and over six feet tall and the teachers who dealt with him started wearing heavy gauntlets over their arms because of his aggressiveness.  They wound up finding him another placement, although I don't know the details due to the teachers respecting his privacy. 

If other parents complain enough then eventually something will happen. It does not necessarily mean that he needs to be moved though, there are other ways of dealing with it which I imagine they are supposed to try first.

Cut off the bloody kid's hands?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #5059 on: February 06, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »
Giving him a little firecracker to play with. The sort that makes shrapnel of road signs of metal. ½ cm fuse.  :eyebrows:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #5060 on: February 06, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »

Isolation within the school and having a minder is an example. The problem with such children is that they cannot be moved around forever - really its something that you should be writing to your politicians about.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5061 on: February 06, 2009, 11:42:17 PM »

Isolation within the school and having a minder is an example. The problem with such children is that they cannot be moved around forever - really its something that you should be writing to your politicians about.

That's a good point, Hadron.

If he were in the US, they would probably want to try isolating him with a paraprofessional if they can before they try moving him, especially since they just moved him to this school.

TheoK

« Reply #5062 on: February 07, 2009, 04:05:23 AM »
Bah, give the little bastid a Cobra 6 to play with. Just make sure the fuse is only ½ cm.   >:D

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #5063 on: February 07, 2009, 04:52:16 AM »
Bah, give the little bastid a Cobra 6 to play with. Just make sure the fuse is only ½ cm.   >:D

Wouldn't this cobra be more effective?

[attachment deleted by admin]

TheoK

« Reply #5064 on: February 07, 2009, 05:02:39 AM »
Whatever. Both are lethal. The firecracker is 15 times stronger than the original M-80!  :green:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5065 on: February 07, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
Quite frankly, I don't give a shit about the kid. Give him a Cobra to play with, give him some firecrackers, give him whatever, as long as he doesn't bother my son again. I don't want to be writing to politicians about him because I really don't care, as long as he does not pose a danger to my son.

Simple enough?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5066 on: February 07, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »
Wrote another few thousand words on my whitepaper. Need to be finished by tomorrow night.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #5067 on: February 07, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
Quite frankly, I don't give a shit about the kid. Give him a Cobra to play with, give him some firecrackers, give him whatever, as long as he doesn't bother my son again. I don't want to be writing to politicians about him because I really don't care, as long as he does not pose a danger to my son.

Simple enough?
You should be writing to politicians to get them to sort the system out properly. You know, so it is less likely to happen to a kid like your son in the first place. If everyone took that line, then this would have been for less likely to have happened in the first place!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5068 on: February 07, 2009, 03:19:45 PM »

Simple enough?
You should be writing to politicians to get them to sort the system out properly. You know, so it is less likely to happen to a kid like your son in the first place. If everyone took that line, then this would have been for less likely to have happened in the first place!

Considering that you don't really know what happened, or why it happened, you're making a lot of assumptions.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #5069 on: February 07, 2009, 03:24:11 PM »
Don't they do like they did when I went to school - move the victims and let the bullies stay?