Author Topic: Surveillance cameras  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Surveillance cameras
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »

Here's another to stir up some debate.
I took this today when I was walking by the harbor in a neighboring city which has 100's of them they say to stop crime.  I can see putting one in your convenience store to deter robberies and such but they blanket the entire town with coverage and it doesn't seem to have slowed crime what so ever.  When I see them they don't give me any sort of feeling of protection but rather the creepy feeling I am being watched by a stalker type.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Surveillance cameras
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »
I support surveillance cameras. I dunno how they are used in the US, but they have prevented some crimes here, and they have helped catch/identify people LOTS of times.

If you're in public, you're in public. Therefore I don't see how people can view it as an invasion of privacy. It's never bothered me, having cctv around

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
 :orly:

According to several major UK news outlets, an internal Metropolitan Police report was released last week that admitted less than 1 crime was solved per year for every 1000 CCTV cameras in London. This comes as a major blow to the UK police who spent £500 million between 1996 and 2006 installing 4 million cameras nationwide, with 1 million in London alone. Despite claims that each citizen might be seen on 300 cameras a day, perhaps half of all CCTV camera footage is unsuitable to convict criminals in court.
Link
Funny one of the things that made me think about this today when I saw the cam was this which I read the other day.  Seems a piss poor payback IMO

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:07:47 PM »
I don't think that's that surprising or that low when you think about it. Of course you have to have a hell of a lot of them in order for it to work. If you only have a few, then you're counting on crimes happening where they are. That;s also not that much money over a decade, when you think how much money is spent elsewhere and overall

Those crimes that are solved or prevented, and those criminals that are caught... surely that's enough to justify it. What do you expect in order to justify it, a virtually crime-free society?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »
Also the real figures are higher than the official figures. You have to take into account how often CCTV footage is used at all. Not just how many crimes are solved solely by CCTV. Anyone in the UK here who has seen Crimewatch will know what I mean

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »
I don't think that's that surprising or that low when you think about it. Of course you have to have a hell of a lot of them in order for it to work. If you only have a few, then you're counting on crimes happening where they are. That;s also not that much money over a decade, when you think how much money is spent elsewhere and overall

Those crimes that are solved or prevented, and those criminals that are caught... surely that's enough to justify it. What do you expect in order to justify it, a virtually crime-free society?

Allowing law-abiding Brits to own and carry guns in public would have a much greater effect. The scum wouldn't dare to attack people in the first place. What good is it for you if you are killed and the murderer is caught on a cam and convicted? You are still dead.

That goes for all countries that don't allow law-abiding people their right to own and carry guns in self-defense, of course.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
We will never have a crime free society no matter what they spend and   £500m is a tremendous amount for very little return.   

George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »
We will never have a crime free society no matter what they spend and   £500m is a tremendous amount for very little return.

:agreed:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
I can't tell you how many times i've flashed those goddamn things my dick, or flipped them off. Nobody has ever summoned me to court, i've never had a phone call about it. What the hell are they even used for?
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »

Allowing law-abiding Brits to own and carry guns in public would have a much greater effect. The scum wouldn't dare to attack people in the first place. What good is it for you if you are killed and the murderer is caught on a cam and convicted? You are still dead.

That goes for all countries that don't allow law-abiding people their right to own and carry guns in self-defense, of course.

In all honesty and truth, you would not have trusted me with a gun, although I am a law abiding person.  If someone had 11 items (9 cans of cat food + a head of lettuce + a loaf of bread = 12 items) in the 10 item checkout, or was blocking the intersection, well, the world would be less populous.  Yes, I know these aren't crimes. but I had serious anger issues.  At least now I'm much more likely to shrug it off and get on with my life.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
What good is it for you if you are killed and the murderer is caught on a cam and convicted? You are still dead.

Um, it gets that person off the streets. Possible saves numerous others frm the same thing. And no. I don't want guns allowed in this country thanks

TheoK

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 02:19:59 PM »
 :tard:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »
I can't tell you how many times i've flashed those goddamn things my dick, or flipped them off. Nobody has ever summoned me to court, i've never had a phone call about it. What the hell are they even used for?

Selling footage of all those flashing people is how they hope to earn the money back they spent on all the surveillance systems. You now are famous. It's also being used at company parties, to bring up morale.

:pervert:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »
Don't feel any safer with cameras around. Do feel watched, and, I just don't like it. I am entitled to some privacy outside too.

In shops they do make sense.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
I think it's great with people like Adam, who are in favour of surveillance cameras that are almost useless but not in favour of law-abiding people being able to defend themselvess legally  ::)