Educational

Author Topic: Spasticity 2.0  (Read 10476 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Re: Spasticity 2.0
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
anyone else getting this page?

Yep.

Let us know when it's ready Shleed and I'll re-register if needed.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 02:27:45 AM »
There was a mismatch between the themes when it was transferred, mostly sorted now.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 02:28:14 AM »
Now smileys aren't appearing. Sigh.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2011, 02:35:03 AM »
If anyone is good at this, let me know. I need some help. :laugh:

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2011, 03:35:39 AM »
If anyone is good at this, let me know. I need some help. :laugh:

I'm familar with Invisionfree and phpBB admin control panels but not SMF though. :dunno:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2011, 03:38:29 AM »
I need someone who's good with cpanel, upgrading forums etc.

I might PM Pika or Adam about it, they've experience on this.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2011, 04:02:50 AM »
That is cool.  The thing that really confuses me,  and i am new to internet drama is how real it really is.  I mean i tend to take most things online with a pinch of salt.  They are not real.  I have a plug and i can pull it out.   This particular drama was focused (at least in the beginning) on affecting people in real life.   So i have been ignoring logic (which tells me just words on a screen) and have been thinking IRL.  If i were to stumble across a man talking that way to a young girl of butterflies age,  using those words IRL i would be inclined to give him a gobful. (of abuse) even if they were both strangers to me.

That is why i was a bit narked.  I had a visual of odeon in headmaster kit, waving his cane at the blackboard and being intimidating. :zoinks:

Yes, I realised that, eventually, and well, tried to learn from it.

Hell, I don't agree with Butterflies on a lot of stuff but I don't want to be like that, I don't want to be perceived as a headmaster trying to enforce points on authority. Either my arguments work or they don't.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2011, 04:04:49 AM »

What kind of problem do you have? Are you trying to upgrade?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2011, 04:58:33 AM »
That is cool.  The thing that really confuses me,  and i am new to internet drama is how real it really is.  I mean i tend to take most things online with a pinch of salt.  They are not real.  I have a plug and i can pull it out.   This particular drama was focused (at least in the beginning) on affecting people in real life.   So i have been ignoring logic (which tells me just words on a screen) and have been thinking IRL.  If i were to stumble across a man talking that way to a young girl of butterflies age,  using those words IRL i would be inclined to give him a gobful. (of abuse) even if they were both strangers to me.

That is why i was a bit narked.  I had a visual of odeon in headmaster kit, waving his cane at the blackboard and being intimidating. :zoinks:

Yes, I realised that, eventually, and well, tried to learn from it.

Hell, I don't agree with Butterflies on a lot of stuff but I don't want to be like that, I don't want to be perceived as a headmaster trying to enforce points on authority. Either my arguments work or they don't.
Dammit!  No, it is all in my head,  that headmaster thing. Probably due to the teaching her a lesson thing.   I doubt anyone else thought the same.  I was just explaining where i was coming from.   I think all that 'headmaster' stuff belongs in the bedroom anyway :hahaha:

Not saying don't criticize her,  or point things out to her.  She has done bad stuff. We can agree to disagree about if it is worse than others on here. I just think she has 'faced the wrath' now,  and i don't think it's a good idea to paint her with the 'nasty' brush,  or make an example of her.

blah blah blah

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2011, 05:30:08 AM »

What kind of problem do you have? Are you trying to upgrade?

They transferred the forum over but it's spewing errors and half of the stuff in the reply section isn't showing up (such as smileys and buttons for quotes etc). Thought reinstalling or upgrading SMF may solve this, but it'll probably cause more problems. The only thing so far I've done was fix themes and a very crap attempt at uploading an SMF update.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:33:19 AM by Schleed »

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2011, 06:58:20 AM »
Scraphead mentioned Spasticity on Duncs forum.  “From the looks of it, it's going to be like Intensity, except marketed towards younger members.” Shleed’s forum, huh?

You know what I automatically thought? “Marketed"? Is that kind of like exclusionary? Kind of like a cliquey fraternity for cool aspies? I smiled at that – “cool aspies”. Then I thought “I wonder who the people who may think that they fit that label”. By the looks I had everyone right except apparently Bint.

Was it high school or primary school where people would start secret clubs and say “You are not invited because you are not cool.” I forget. Was too long ago and I don’t think I was that interested in being in the cool crowd. In fact, if a poor memory serves me right, I think I used to smirk in watching people fawn and fall over themselves in trying to fit in and be cool.

That said, I think that the forum will certainly serve a purpose, no doubt, for the cool aspies to practice their coolness and saturate themselves in their radical, youthful, cutting edge, hardcore, whatever bullshit it is such aspies aspire for.

So with such curiosity I thought I would peek in and see what you may have to say about such a forum. I viewed this thread and was not at all let down.

"Misplaced moral outrage"? Missed that? Here?

I did see a few people stating strong claims and backing them. Kind of what this site is about.

Morality? Certainly a difference of opinions on what was considered good form and bad form. I would not consider that either misplaced nor outrage.

Is it another famous case of exaggeration or misrepresentation?

Is making claims and backing claims still an accepted norm on the site? When it happens, are the members happy to misconstrue it into lecturing or being a headmaster and teaching a lesson?

See I was under the impression that the members on here were all out of school and everyone here over 18 and that making and backing claims was on the front page as a “must do that if you enter” and an integral part of this place, and that 18 or 84 there were no protected classes and that all members had to do this. I believed that there was no place for cliques (where people backed each other because they were cool, or young or given free passes on such basis). Arguing for or against an opinion, not for or against a person.

Bodie, Oldies can get it wrong, sure. So can younger folk and sometimes both are wrong or both are right. Sometimes difference of opinion is simply that. From my reading of what you wrote here (correct me if I am wrong by all means) you are saying that young people over the age of 18 here ought to be a protected class and given more latitude than older members because they are young, and that older members are far more likely to be close-minded and have a false sense of superiority?

Spasticity, and the want for cool older members and young members, seems to be a representation of the younger member’s sense of superiority. I know you will not want to see this because I am older and probably not even cool :P

You too will likely see it as a worthy for the oppressed youngsters to break their shackles from the oldie regime and build their self-worth and so on. Perhaps you are looking at it through the eyes of a young Bodie. Perhaps that may be enough to skew perspective a little? Perhaps you even misjudge simple things, like a lesson rather than a claim being backed, or who is on a high horse and who isn’t? Or even making an example, instead of pointing out what is seen as behavior that is disagreed upon?

Not saying I am right either. I don’t much care if I am or not. Just giving an opinion and watching people make some strange assertions. I was seeing too, what the go was with Spasticity.

Anyhow I will let you all get back to making claims about how horrible I2 is, how good Spasticity is and how the cool members on i2 are going to Spasticity and why.

All the best Shleed. I hope that you are able to cut all bullshit out of the site (unlike what Adam thinks, I think that the bullshit is far from a problem of the older members) and that it is a raging success   I really do.

Dunno if this is going to change the site or the dynamics or culture but sure as hell worth a look here in any case.

Edit: Oh I see Spasticity is not working. Perhaps Odeon could help. I am sure he is an older member who is not cool, but he is a nice bloke and probably will help if you ask.

Zengh, just saw your Pm and responded to it. BTW say hello to Eris for me if you see her around the traps.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:49:41 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2011, 07:12:08 AM »
^Agree with a lot of your post, Sir Les. The "moral outrage" thing is not new, it has happened lots of times before I think, in different guises. Because it is that way, it is seen as new, never happened before. But really it has. Just read through the older threads.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »
It's not "marketed" at anything and that was never my intention, except as a place for when people are tired of having to see constant drama on websites like i2. Anyone can join and post. If anything it's more like i2 and ZOMG mixed together.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:15:25 PM by Schleed »

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
Young people probably make more mistakes.  I made loads.  Still do.  I just choose to take into account the fact that i have twenty years worth of life experience over them.   So,  yeah i probably go out of my way to be a bit more understanding.

I don't know anything about a secret club.  If you mean Schleeds site,  and you didn't get invited i wouldn't take it personally.  I didn't get an invite either.

I never coined the phrase 'teaching a lesson' i just responded to it.

No i don't think i am thinking fanciful thoughts about my youth.  My youth is gone.  I am almost as old as you. 

Bodie, Oldies can get it wrong, sure. So can younger folk and sometimes both are wrong or both are right. Sometimes difference of opinion is simply that. From my reading of what you wrote here (correct me if I am wrong by all means) you are saying that young people over the age of 18 here ought to be a protected class and given more latitude than older members because they are young, and that older members are far more likely to be close-minded and have a false sense of superiority?
i don't know if you mean this site? If it is, then it's not what i mean.  If i choose to be a certain way with a group of people it is my choice.  I don't think i have any influence whatsoever in what others do.  Don't see this as a one voice place, but a group of independent individuals.   

In my own words i would say that i go out of my way to get along with younger people.  They are the future.  It makes no sense to me to alienate a group of people by preaching my morals and values at them.  I can remember lectures when i was young and i would repeat in my head over and over 'not listening not listening not listening...'  but then would nod at an appropriate moment or just say anything for lecture to be over.  It is not the case if you are thinking i want to give them a free pass to misbehave.  Not at all.  I just think it gets to a point and they stop listening as it sounds like a lecture.  I think it is best to talk to them rather than at them.

I do think a few older people get on their high horses and claim superiority.  I also think there are some young arrogant shits around.  ? 

Perhaps you even misjudge simple things, like a lesson rather than a claim being backed, or who is on a high horse and who isn’t? Or even making an example, instead of pointing out what is seen as behavior that is disagreed upon?
No not all.  I had no problem with your call out of Butterflies.  I agreed with the principal.  I am all for pointing things out too.  It just went on and on, with no real purpose and no real benefit.  I think its fair to call out anyone on here.  Regardless of age. 

This was getting over the top.  First odeon, then Pyraxis coming in with "Les told me how nasty you was and now i see for myself"   This is more than pointing things out?

blah blah blah

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2011, 11:37:14 AM »
I don't know anything about a secret club.  If you mean Schleeds site,  and you didn't get invited i wouldn't take it personally.  I didn't get an invite either.

You would very definately have got an invite as soon as the site was working properly.

I didn't really want to invite a lot of people to the site, only for them to see a half-finished site, and think "this is shit, I'm not coming back."

It seems to be up and working well now, so anyone wanting to join should head on over.

It's definately not a secret club though. We're trying to get as many people interested as possible. It might be a good option for anyone who thinks this site has gone downhill recently.