Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120142 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #7260 on: April 03, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »
I moved my spring onion sprouts into soil and one of them is very clearly growing.
:woohoo:

I generally plant all of my store bought onion butts all year long and many of those have shown themselves emerging, but this time of year I usually have bought more small starter onions to fill in gaps, but I have not yet gone shopping for garden stuff.

You are already getting the jump on me.

I think you were right about the heat drying process damaging the roots of the yellow onions though. My yellow onion grew roots to about 1/4 inch and then stopped, and has looked the same since then. Will try buying organic next time and see if that works any better.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #7261 on: April 03, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »
Why is that stupid?

Well depending on the amount, I mean. But stocking up in advance of quarantine on something that might actually help you get well seems smart.

Difficult for me to explain, but, here goes.......people seem to think that taking mega doses of Vitamin C is good for you.  Yes, Vitamin C is good for you.  It's something you get from many plant and fruit sources as well as a tablet.  Vitamin C is water soluble, which means that your body cannot accumulate it and your body just pisses it out.  Your a smart woman, you know that, but, the herd mentality is not much for intelligence.  And that is what I am talking about.  The herd mentality, and I have heard this from many people, "Take a lot of Vit. C and you will never be sick, etc, etc, ad nauseum."  And it will not help you get well with this coronavirus, it might strengthen your immune system temporarily.......but, it will not be the key to getting well.  That depends upon your own health and immune system.  Your in good shape, your son is vulnerable, the elderly are vulnerable, immuno-compromised people are vulnerable....and no amount of vit. C will help make them well if they get attacked by the coronavirus. 

Hoarding Vit. C is stupid in that regard.  It just makes it harder for people who could use it to NOT get it.  GET IT!  I hope I have met your challenge question.  If this is shit stirring..........
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7262 on: April 03, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »
Apparently people aren't hoarding TP as much as they're hoarding vitamin C.
There's a number of things that rank higher sales increases than toilet paper. Though toilet paper seems the only one that makes people scratch their heads.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7263 on: April 03, 2020, 05:02:15 PM »
We're at the halfway point of finishing the Lego Hogwarts castle. It's so cool.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7264 on: April 03, 2020, 06:14:49 PM »
Difficult for me to explain, but, here goes.......people seem to think that taking mega doses of Vitamin C is good for you.  Yes, Vitamin C is good for you.  It's something you get from many plant and fruit sources as well as a tablet.  Vitamin C is water soluble, which means that your body cannot accumulate it and your body just pisses it out.  Your a smart woman, you know that, but, the herd mentality is not much for intelligence.  And that is what I am talking about.  The herd mentality, and I have heard this from many people, "Take a lot of Vit. C and you will never be sick, etc, etc, ad nauseum."  And it will not help you get well with this coronavirus, it might strengthen your immune system temporarily.......but, it will not be the key to getting well.  That depends upon your own health and immune system.  Your in good shape, your son is vulnerable, the elderly are vulnerable, immuno-compromised people are vulnerable....and no amount of vit. C will help make them well if they get attacked by the coronavirus. 

Hoarding Vit. C is stupid in that regard.  It just makes it harder for people who could use it to NOT get it.  GET IT!  I hope I have met your challenge question.  If this is shit stirring..........

Nah that makes sense, thank you. I've had really good experience with Air Shield, which even though I piss some of it out, if I take it right when I'm at risk of catching something from the cub, seems to give my immune system the kick it needs in that moment. I'm currently hoarding my three tubes of it I brought up from the USA, because the Canadian mega-vit-C powder just doesn't seem as effective. I'm not totally sure why.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7265 on: April 03, 2020, 07:39:53 PM »
I am so very glad that my homeless son is forced by covid-19 to remain here for the forseeabe. never mind that most of  the contents of my wardrobe are permanently ranged abiout the living room , cos there isn't room in that tiny bedroom for two people;s clothing etc etc, nor is there another  closet to put stuff like that  in .  It is well worth all the  the inconvenience .

the day before yesterday, i asked him to take the rubbish out to the communal bins , and he answered "äfter it gets dark" (cos he's still intensely social -phobic) . Predictably, it still hadn;t been done, but then a few minutes back i was cussing to9 myself about some minor inconveniece at the kitchen end of the living room  , when he suddenly leapt to his feet, declaring "Yeah! I'll do it right now"

"Do what, right now? "i asked in puzzlement .

"Do this right now,"" he responded with a gleeful grin. and straightway performed an extremely silly dance that had me laughing my socks off. I swear it knocked the Pythons' silly walk into a cocked hat. Wish i had a video.

"Í dunnop what i'll do next, though""  he added, before strolling over to extract the bulging bin bag from the bin

Hmm,you can evidently get away with being  lazy as fuck round here. just  so long as you're cute, and funny  :LOL: . Which he indubitably  is, in occasional flashes , just  like the sun suddenly bursting through his black clouds of depresssion . And it's an absolute joy to behold :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:45:24 PM by Walkie »

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #7266 on: April 03, 2020, 07:47:09 PM »
My youngest is that daft too. Always cheers us up.  :lol1: :plus:
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7267 on: April 03, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »

Nah that makes sense, thank you. I've had really good experience with Air Shield, which even though I piss some of it out, if I take it right when I'm at risk of catching something from the cub, seems to give my immune system the kick it needs in that moment. I'm currently hoarding my three tubes of it I brought up from the USA, because the Canadian mega-vit-C powder just doesn't seem as effective. I'm not totally sure why.

There is something called the "Placebo effect".  It's well documented, though, unfortunately, little studied.  If a person believes something works, really believes, it will work.  It's been documented with pain meds.  Positive thinking, as for the powder, could it be the taste, consistency, appearance that somehow turns you off?  I have seen "airshield" and have stocked it at walmart.  Zinc has also been touted to alleviate and shorten symptoms of the cold and flu.  It is another immune system booster.  The human mind is a wonderful and yet, terrible thing.  I believe that the mind is a powerful weapon against a lot of things, including disease.  Your a single, stressed and over worked mom.  Now in the middle of a pandemic crisis...  I'm trying not to degrade the hoarders, but, it is hard to do so.  Especially since Vit. C is such a go to thing.  I don't take it myself, since I love my large glass of low acid OJ in the morning.  And love my V8 juice at lunch.  Vit C there as well.  Pill swallowing is a problem for me. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #7268 on: April 03, 2020, 07:53:52 PM »
Have you tried this method Ozy? I can't just stick pills in my mouth and wash them down with a drink, never could, but taught all my kids how I do it - gobful of water/whatever, tip head back, drop pills in and swallow. Works for me.
arsebiscuits!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7269 on: April 03, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »
Have you tried this method Ozy? I can't just stick pills in my mouth and wash them down with a drink, never could, but taught all my kids how I do it - gobful of water/whatever, tip head back, drop pills in and swallow. Works for me.

As long as I get the pill to the back of my throat and chase it down with a swig of water, I am good.  Like your method in a different way of saying.  Oh, and I wait till I feel it go down.  I also have the same problem with some foods.  Steak for instance, my esophagus is a weird thing.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7270 on: April 03, 2020, 08:05:50 PM »
My youngest is that daft too. Always cheers us up.  :lol1: :plus:
glad you've got one, too :) Mine's 30 and showing no signs of "growing up" yet, thank goodness.

Btw, i think i forgot to give you a wecome back  :plus: (and if I didn't forget , no harm in two of ém)

Should probably go to bed instead of posting nonsense.  :dunno:
Hehe, were
 you reading my mind? I was just thinking: hmm, fancy that!  another Brit posting at 3 am.  You'd think this was an autie forum, eh?

I've got an excuse though  :green: But, bah! who needs excuses?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 08:07:50 PM by Walkie »

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #7271 on: April 03, 2020, 08:14:29 PM »
excuses are for people who need them.  :lol1:

mine are 16 and 23, and can't see either of them growing up any time soon. Fuck, I'm not sure I qualify as an adult yet.

Cheers for the welcome back walkie  :thumbup:
arsebiscuits!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7272 on: April 04, 2020, 01:46:41 AM »
Why is that stupid?

Well depending on the amount, I mean. But stocking up in advance of quarantine on something that might actually help you get well seems smart.

Apparently there's a rumor flying around stating that vitamin C will cure covid-19.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7273 on: April 04, 2020, 04:41:18 AM »
Why is that stupid?

Apparently there's a rumor flying around stating that vitamin C will cure covid-19.

And drinking water with a tablespoon of baking soda too.

Yeah this is highly legit.  :nerdy: :tard: :tinfoil:

Massive amounts of vitamine C make your blood more acidic (before peeing the stuff out, duh). And lo and behold. Drinking a baking soda solution every day turns your blood more alkaline. Everyone knows viruses cannot stand  blood that is either too alkaline or too acidic.
The really smart people dissolve the baking soda not in water but in lemon juice. Then they get the best of both ways.

It's a pity festivals are cancelled. This asks for a stand selling snake oil.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7274 on: April 04, 2020, 07:22:22 AM »
There's lots of money to be made. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein