Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120127 times)

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6780 on: July 28, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »
Probably look up more than I realize. Mom has always found it hilarious when I recall places by describing the ceiling. Even as a kid couldn't understand why that's funny. Some places have very interesting ceilings.

I probably know every ceiling flaw in a 10 mile radius.  :laugh:

I notice in places like Starbucks and some restaurant chains their ceilings are usually very industrial and awful looking. A lot of places have rubbish ceilings that they don’t bother paying attention to. Like big pipes going across them. I don’t get why they make everything else look nice but pay no attention to their ceilings.
:dog:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6781 on: July 28, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »
Probably look up more than I realize. Mom has always found it hilarious when I recall places by describing the ceiling. Even as a kid couldn't understand why that's funny. Some places have very interesting ceilings.

:laugh:

I notice in places like Starbucks and some restaurant chains their ceilings are usually very industrial and awful looking. A lot of places have rubbish ceilings that they don’t bother paying attention to. Like big pipes going across them. I don’t get why they make everything else look nice but pay no attention to their ceilings.
Personally like that aesthetic. If ever having the opportunity to build dream home, it will have no ceiling with exposed conduit and ductwork.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6782 on: July 28, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »
I'm thinking about all yalls meat spaces.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6783 on: July 28, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »

Personally like that aesthetic. If ever having the opportunity to build dream home, it will have no ceiling with exposed conduit and ductwork.

Sorry, did I read that wrong, or did you contradict yourself?

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6784 on: July 28, 2018, 04:26:23 PM »
I'm thinking about all yalls meat spaces.  :zoinks:

:gopher: :litigious: Rodent!

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6785 on: July 28, 2018, 04:33:50 PM »
did you contradict yourself?
Don't believe so, no.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6786 on: July 28, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »
I like both looking up and down. I like to see interesting details, patterns and structures.

When done right visible wiring and plumbing can be really cool to look at. Can look like crap too.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6787 on: July 28, 2018, 06:03:20 PM »

The industrial look.

I like it too when the joists and exposed floorboards are painted and the plumbing and wires are neatly spaced and lined up. I think it can make an area look a lot bigger if it's done right.

Wouldn't mind it in the downstairs here instead of the fugly drop ceiling. But there is a ton of insulation between the joists, and I really need that for sound and warmth.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6788 on: July 28, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
I like it too when the joists and exposed floorboards are painted and the plumbing and wires are neatly spaced and lined up. I think it can make an area look a lot bigger if it's done right.
It doesn't even have to be neat to look good. Have been in a couple of places where everything overhead was painted out white so it all blended together. Have been obsessed with raw concrete structures for a few years; the exposed infrastructure is a good look in combination with that.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:39:49 PM by Jack »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6789 on: August 05, 2018, 07:34:35 PM »
I like both looking up and down. I like to see interesting details, patterns and structures.

When done right visible wiring and plumbing can be really cool to look at. Can look like crap too.

Says the amazing gal who employs an upside down Jersey as an avatar.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6790 on: August 05, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
I've always had a liking for oxidized lead, or thallium, the take on a dark, lead-ish (for want of a better term) hue, that really is quite attractive, once it has had time to oxidize and form a surface layer, rather than look like shiny, freshly cast  metal. That dark color and soft texture combined, there is just something nice about it, despite the toxicity. The way old lead bends like wire, so soft, almost like cutting sodium with a knife, and that dark, almost  decaying hue, its great looking despite the toxicity of either lead or thallium.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6791 on: August 12, 2018, 08:52:59 PM »
Just  had one of my Claisen adapters (basically a bend with two female joints pointing upwards and one male joint, essentially turns a single necked flask into a two necked flask,) get blocked by a plug of NaOH I just can't get out. Thought I was screwed, but managed to find another claisen head in the lab after searching all the big boxes and crates of glassware I have around in -places where the lab hasn't the space for them until they are needed.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6792 on: August 12, 2018, 10:10:54 PM »
Looks like my ammonium formate is done, now I just need to boil down the solution to get the solid weighable ammonium formate. Once that is done, I'll weigh my ketone, work out the stoichiometry for reaction of the ketoxime (from the ketone, hydroxylamine and a base) and finally, reduce the ketoxime to the amine with zinc dust/ammonium formate, a process said to take just 6 minutes.

Nice, I hope they are right, because I've been working on this 'phet for two days, days that proved stressful and generally nasty. But, I'm nearly there. Started with 20g P2NP, haven't weighed the phenylacetone/P2P or its oxime yet. Still got to make the oxime. Perhaps I can do both at once, boil down the formate solution  and prepare the oxime from the ketone.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6793 on: August 12, 2018, 10:16:09 PM »
The stirplate I was using earlier that shocked me, it's stopped zapping me if touched. Time to boil down that formate.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6794 on: September 04, 2018, 06:54:05 AM »
I won division 7 in Oz Lotto not once, not twice, but three times! $50 in total :viking: