Educational

Author Topic: I'm a hardcore Christian - Let's play.  (Read 5845 times)

Scrapheap

Re: I'm a hardcore Christian - Let's play.
« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
The idea that the earth was in the order of hundreds of millions of yeas old, doesn't come from the theory of evolution, it comes from geology. James Hutton proved this in the 1785 book, Theory of the Earth; or an Investigation of the Laws observable in the Composition, Dissolution, and Restoration of Land upon the Globe.

Geology: Young Earth Creationists great bugaboo.  8)

James Hutton is not God.

I never claimed he was. DO try to pay closer attention.

Why do you believe the testimony of a man rather than that of God?

The history written into rock formations is neither the testimony of man OR "god". They are observable evidence of the earth's history.

Did this James Hutton witness the creation of the universe?

I don't think so.

In a sense, he has, so have astronomers who peer deep into the universe. Both looking at rocks and looking deep into the universe, allow us to look back in time. Rocks, because they record the events at the time of their formation, and the universe, because the light has taken billions of years to get here, so we are in fact, looking back in time.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
Why aren't you answering my questions about creation and the different versions in Genesis.

Not only different in content, also very different in style?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »
Because "hardcore" Christians either ignore or respond to criticisms in an irrational matter.

Varg Vikernes should burn down more churches. :orly:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »
Jesus swallows

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2011, 03:35:20 AM »
Because "hardcore" Christians either ignore or respond to criticisms in an irrational matter.

Varg Vikernes should burn down more churches. :orly:

But he has to answer, he should be gathering souls.

I on the other hand, can do as I please.

The fundie is the one with an obligation.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »
So your whole premise on authenticity rests on just saying it's God word and provide nothing else to substantiate those claims? :laugh:

Do I really need to substantiate such a self-evident claim? It's clearly God's Word.

Wow, so you believe in Judaism, Islam and every other religion that has books of God's word too then? Considering God wrote those books too, going by your logic. This is where the contradictions arise severely as there's actually more than one book claiming to be the word of God, and a few pre-date your Bible. :zoinks:

Since when did I say that the Qur'an was written by God? And you do realize the Old Testament (which is, basically, the Jewish Bible) is part of the Scriptures, right?

You are a king of strawman arguments, you know that?

Without authentication, how can you be sure the Bible is the correct one? And seriously, faith is not a option as an answer.

How can you be sure you have a brain? Note that "I just know" is not an answer.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2011, 04:26:27 AM »
Nope. Two completely different poetic versions of the origin of earth.

They are not poetic. Psalms is what's poetic.

Ok, let's see if they are really two completely contradictory versions.

Man is created in Genesis 2 before any other lifeform.
Then comes vegetation, and well defined streams of water. .

You're confusing "creation" and "agriculture" with each other. There were no fields before man. It doesn't say there were no plants or trees before man; it says there were no plants of the field before man.

Also, please show me where it says in Genesis 2 that the streams of water were formed after man.

After that, animals were created, to give man a helper.

Where does it say that animals were created after man.

The Old Testament verses aren't always aligned in chronological order. Depending on the context, an event may be first mentioned when it becomes relevant to the main subject of the overall account. That is what you see in Genesis 2:19 and in other verses/passages throughout the Bible. And that is why some translations properly apply a past participle to the verb "form" in Genesis 2:19.

Man names all the animals, but non fits him as a helper.

I don't remember it saying that man names all the animals.

In Genesis 1, people are created at the sixth day, after the rest of the world has been created. They are created men and women, after the image of G_d.

How does this contradict Genesis 2?

Very different timeline, very different story.

Only in your imagination. The Bible is bigger than you think.

Is one of these two versions false?

If one of them is false, how will I know which one to take as the absolute truth, and how can it be that there are lies in the book you say is factually true word by word?

Or are both something completely different than a factual report of how earth and it's inhabitants came to be?

False dichotomy. Both accounts are historically true as I've shown above.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2011, 04:29:44 AM »
I hate to say this, but, it needs to be said for those of us who are religious skeptics.  The Bible is a fairy tale put together by MEN to scare people to follow and give money to their beliefs.  Every time I turn on the fucking tv, I see religious evangelists preaching and exhorting their followers to give and give muchly and deeply for their salvation to the church of the <insert name here>.   If I'm going to hell, well, I'll be with a lot of my friends and we'll have a good time!   :evillaugh:

I'm so sad for you that you think hell is something to be taken lightly. Also, those evangelists you see preaching on TV asking for money are not necessarily children of God. Do not judge God's Word by its professing believers.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2011, 04:33:46 AM »
I never claimed he was. DO try to pay closer attention.

I know you didn't claim. Just saying it as a note/reminder. So DO try to pay better attention to the point I'm making.

The history written into rock formations is neither the testimony of man OR "god". They are observable evidence of the earth's history.

And what history do imagine it telling you? :hahaha:

In a sense, he has, so have astronomers who peer deep into the universe. Both looking at rocks and looking deep into the universe, allow us to look back in time.

In other words, God doesn't exist but scientists are gods. I see where you're going. ::)

Rocks, because they record the events at the time of their formation, and the universe, because the light has taken billions of years to get here, so we are in fact, looking back in time.

Who told you light has taken billions of years to get here? Your favorite gods?

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2011, 04:56:02 AM »

Well I was simulating your "It's the word of God" logic and presented the problem that emerges. Funny how you say that... The point is you claim the Bible is the word of God, yet many others claim their holy text of their religion is the word of God too. Are they wrong? And how does one determine which is right or wrong? Don't you see the paradox here?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:58:04 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Psychophant

« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »
I hate to say this, but, it needs to be said for those of us who are religious skeptics.  The Bible is a fairy tale put together by MEN to scare people to follow and give money to their beliefs.  Every time I turn on the fucking tv, I see religious evangelists preaching and exhorting their followers to give and give muchly and deeply for their salvation to the church of the <insert name here>.   If I'm going to hell, well, I'll be with a lot of my friends and we'll have a good time!   :evillaugh:

I'm so sad for you that you think hell is something to be taken lightly. Also, those evangelists you see preaching on TV asking for money are not necessarily children of God. Do not judge God's Word by its professing believers.

Don't be sad for me.  If I'm wrong, so be it.  But, to me, hell is here on Earth.   

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »

You're right.

We should ignore you.  :thumbup:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2011, 08:23:32 AM »

Well I was simulating your "It's the word of God" logic and presented the problem that emerges. Funny how you say that... The point is you claim the Bible is the word of God, yet many others claim their holy text of their religion is the word of God too. Are they wrong? And how does one determine which is right or wrong? Don't you see the paradox here?

I told you to read God's Word yourself. Don't take what I, a human, say for granted. Just read His Word at least and then come ask me these questions again.

How can you argue against someone if you don't know what his own position/story/argument is? In this case, God's.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2011, 08:25:22 AM »

Don't be sad for me.  If I'm wrong, so be it.  But, to me, hell is here on Earth.

Are you currently burning in a lake of fire, with gritting teeth and constant groaning?

If not, you're not living hell at the moment. Hell is later after you die (if you continue to rebel against your God).

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »

You're right.

We should ignore you.  :thumbup:

Please do. After all, I'm a "Christfag", and, apparently, it is a bad thing to be a "fag" according to you atheists.