Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread! (Pt 2)  (Read 21320 times)

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread! (Pt 2)
« Reply #945 on: July 10, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #946 on: July 10, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »
My bi-amped sub system can not play that low, but it "TRIES!!!!!"   and the couch and everything the "violent air"  touches rumbles and follows a series of wavefronts - actually several with each cannon blast.

^This.

I lol'd. I've had my share of setting up cinema sound racks trying to do this sort of thing, with, um, varying results.

With the advent of digital soundtracks, all of a sudden the old setups could no longer do what they were supposed to. Optical sound was great fun to set up but neither the highs or the lows were anywhere near the dynamics of this new thing.

And I'm showing my age and my grumpiness. Dolby Digital is not new and hasn't been for years. It's just that I really like optical. I like its characteristics and I love that the skill needed to properly set up the A chain would decide if the investment in the B chain was worth it.

I am amazed that your point escaped me.

I am all digi, most of the time.

I am NOT reality.  My rig is mostly home commercial. I do have rather ridiculous sub systems and fronts, but no more than a theater might have.

As far as optical, I have so many ways to decode the digi stream, I may have lost track of where I started and where I might want to end up.

I do know that with either of my favorite decoders, feeding my Denon with analog or the straight through approach, I am quite happy and ready to shut most arguments down in the first few moments of one of my movies.

Which Denon do you have? I love their gear.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #947 on: July 10, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
Obsessively listening to this.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #948 on: July 12, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »
My bi-amped sub system can not play that low, but it "TRIES!!!!!"   and the couch and everything the "violent air"  touches rumbles and follows a series of wavefronts - actually several with each cannon blast.

^This.

I lol'd. I've had my share of setting up cinema sound racks trying to do this sort of thing, with, um, varying results.

With the advent of digital soundtracks, all of a sudden the old setups could no longer do what they were supposed to. Optical sound was great fun to set up but neither the highs or the lows were anywhere near the dynamics of this new thing.

And I'm showing my age and my grumpiness. Dolby Digital is not new and hasn't been for years. It's just that I really like optical. I like its characteristics and I love that the skill needed to properly set up the A chain would decide if the investment in the B chain was worth it.

I am NOT reality.  My rig is mostly home commercial. I do have rather ridiculous sub systems and fronts, but no more than a theater might have.

As far as optical, I have so many ways to decode the digi stream, I may have lost track of where I started and where I might want to end up.

I do know that with either of my favorite decoders, feeding my Denon with analog or the straight through approach, I am quite happy and ready to shut most arguments down in the first few moments of one of my movies.

Mine is a Denon 4311.

I am more impressed by some of the Pioneer gear out there that is 9.2 an has built in electronic crossovers, enabling you to have one hundred fifty watts per channel AND bi-amp capability for your fronts and rears. So keeping with 5.1 for your surround format these receivers can bi-amp all your surrounds AND offer two different sub channels for controlling your room nodes a little better. Remember, two subwoofers are better than one and four are better than three, regardless of whether you choose to go really deep and actually biamp a massive subwoof system as I have done.

Yes, I have blind spots in my sub system, but even with my dated Denon, no blind spots in the above sub, hearing rather than feeling range. I still have to deal with a home living area and so room treatments are impractical and I am just lucky to have enough space to hide a subwoofer system that is capable of shaking the floor and the surrounding sidewalks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:25:45 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #949 on: July 12, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »

I take from this; your severalth BOC posting, that YOU are also a fan of Blue Oyster Cult?

You and I may have more in common than either of us expected.

:flyingbat:

Veteran of the Psychic Wars is one of my favorite songs it reminds me of high school
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #950 on: July 13, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »

^This.

Mine is a Denon 4311.

I am more impressed by some of the Pioneer gear out there that is 9.2 an has built in electronic crossovers, enabling you to have one hundred fifty watts per channel AND bi-amp capability for your fronts and rears. So keeping with 5.1 for your surround format these receivers can bi-amp all your surrounds AND offer two different sub channels for controlling your room nodes a little better. Remember, two subwoofers are better than one and four are better than three, regardless of whether you choose to go really deep and actually biamp a massive subwoof system as I have done.

Yes, I have blind spots in my sub system, but even with my dated Denon, no blind spots in the above sub, hearing rather than feeling range. I still have to deal with a home living area and so room treatments are impractical and I am just lucky to have enough space to hide a subwoofer system that is capable of shaking the floor and the surrounding sidewalks.

Bi-amping surrounds is an interesting thought, but one that I would have thought to be mostly unnecessary, considering that most directional sounds don't need that kind of power. Do you notice a real difference?

I've been thinking about replacing my old Sensurround sub in the garage with a stacked setup, but I don't know if that would make any real difference. The problem in the garage is the concrete floor--it's very difficult to shake things around with any gear.

The audible range would improve, though. The Sensurround bass is intended to handle sounds to well over 120Hz but the curve is ugly and doesn't match any modern(-ish) sound processors.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #951 on: July 13, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »

Honestly, I think that "voice-matching" your surrounds with your fronts is far more beneficial than bi-amping all around.  Some people think that sounds which are emitted from behind you are less important than sounds that are coming from in front of you. Kind of a mistake.
Once I got all my 5.1 speakers to match (all vintage JBL, Cabaret series, custom made by my own hands), it just seemed as if everything just got easier and the dynamics were/ARE amazing and I never run out of headroom, even when playing at headsplitting levels.

With my system, I can only bi-amp the fronts and it DOES make a difference
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #952 on: July 15, 2014, 03:18:54 AM »

Honestly, I think that "voice-matching" your surrounds with your fronts is far more beneficial than bi-amping all around.  Some people think that sounds which are emitted from behind you are less important than sounds that are coming from in front of you. Kind of a mistake.
Once I got all my 5.1 speakers to match (all vintage JBL, Cabaret series, custom made by my own hands), it just seemed as if everything just got easier and the dynamics were/ARE amazing and I never run out of headroom, even when playing at headsplitting levels.

With my system, I can only bi-amp the fronts and it DOES make a difference

Oh, agreed. Bi-amping the fronts makes a HUGE difference with the proper gear.

I'm a believer in Dolby's 27-band EQs, which makes matching speakers easier, but crappy surrounds can still make a mess. The garage is equipped with old surround speakers salvaged from a closed-down theatre, but they are really too old for Dolby Digital. Not sure what to do about it, other than replace them when I have the opportunity.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #953 on: July 15, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #954 on: July 16, 2014, 10:27:36 PM »
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #955 on: July 25, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #956 on: July 25, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »

I don't know which is better, that voice or those legs.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #957 on: July 25, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
Not the best quality because they allow filming at their shows.  Rabbit, the singer, is the melodica player in the previous video.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #958 on: July 26, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »

"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #959 on: July 26, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »

George Bernard Shaw