Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread! (Pt 2)  (Read 21327 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread! (Pt 2)
« Reply #930 on: March 03, 2014, 09:35:32 PM »
^Will look it up. My setup is decent so there's probably some fun to be had.

Hans Zimmer is one of my favourite soundtrack composers, btw. "Crimson Tide" and "The Thin Red Line" are both mind-blowing.

I seem to freak most people out at work, because I have a Pandora Station entitled "Hans Zimmer"  and another entitled "Ramin Djawadi"  (another favorite composer).
People are used to me playing jazz and old school Detroit funk and ancient rock, but to just have movie tracks playing?  ???

Suddenly, I am an enigma.

BUT, I always do this. I have just recently trained my workstation to play movie tracks as well.  LoL

BTW, I have both "Crimson Tide"  and  "Thin Red Line"  on BluRay.  I agree; they are excellent!

I have gotten into many arguments with "idiots"  who claim that "digital" reproduction bandwidth is from 20-20KHz and that is IT!.

I actually own a rather decent twin-trace oscilloscope and I can measure LFE sound effects in real time and upon linking my computer to the O'scope and finding some freeware,  I can catch them and slow them down, measure the frequencies passing through the sound system with graphic accuracy, etc.

I am tired of this argument. I can find as low as eight Hz on a Blu Ray disc embedded in the soundtrack on many movies. (Cannon effects on "Master And Commander"  for instance  -    cannon effect is so low that I guarantee that most people have no way to experience it.  Makes me think that the original sound crew actually put  a series of microphones, spaced at scienced out distances, UNDER the ground before they set off massive explosions for the cannon effects on the soundtrack)    My bi-amped sub system can not play that low, but it "TRIES!!!!!"   and the couch and everything the "violent air"  touches rumbles and follows a series of wavefronts - actually several with each cannon blast.

Back last summer (I think I mentioned), I built a kind of bandpass (pair of enclosures) boxes for a band leader  "friend" of mine.  Once I had them put together, I brought them into the house - only had an old Crown 400WPC amp to power them - for a few days, placed them behind the couch. (would LOVE to have kept them, but giving up two feet of living room space for a subwoofer system is not something that my wife could tolerate for very long). I passed my experiment off as a kind of "scientific study,"  of sorts.

... but, to feel my couch lift up, giggle and roll through and on past the reverberations with those massive cannon blasts the way it did was very pleasing to me. (She hated it!!) I felt like I had "found something." 

Those enclosures (twin, dual eighteen, BP, carefully tuned - capable of twenty four hundred watts per cab - I used eight hundred on both and practically lifted my couch off the floor)  are now doing firm, nightly duty at the bottom end of a "friend's"  club PA system about now, assuming he actually has work through the winter. Have not seen him lately, but no contact is usually GOOD!

... but hell yeah!  Hans Zimmer makes an awesome Pandora station!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:16:54 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #931 on: March 08, 2014, 04:21:01 AM »
My bi-amped sub system can not play that low, but it "TRIES!!!!!"   and the couch and everything the "violent air"  touches rumbles and follows a series of wavefronts - actually several with each cannon blast.

^This.

I lol'd. I've had my share of setting up cinema sound racks trying to do this sort of thing, with, um, varying results.

With the advent of digital soundtracks, all of a sudden the old setups could no longer do what they were supposed to. Optical sound was great fun to set up but neither the highs or the lows were anywhere near the dynamics of this new thing.

And I'm showing my age and my grumpiness. Dolby Digital is not new and hasn't been for years. It's just that I really like optical. I like its characteristics and I love that the skill needed to properly set up the A chain would decide if the investment in the B chain was worth it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #932 on: May 03, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
  Back on topic.  :M :P

:GA:

:GA:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #933 on: May 22, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #934 on: May 22, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #935 on: May 22, 2014, 10:32:05 PM »
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #936 on: June 05, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #937 on: June 07, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #938 on: June 19, 2014, 04:30:50 PM »

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #939 on: July 07, 2014, 09:51:43 AM »
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #940 on: July 07, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #941 on: July 07, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »

I take from this; your severalth BOC posting, that YOU are also a fan of Blue Oyster Cult?

You and I may have more in common than either of us expected.

:flyingbat:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #942 on: July 09, 2014, 05:27:00 AM »

Hope the song will help us to win this evening's match..

Well, it has nil.nil procent influence on it.. but..

hey..
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #943 on: July 09, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »
My bi-amped sub system can not play that low, but it "TRIES!!!!!"   and the couch and everything the "violent air"  touches rumbles and follows a series of wavefronts - actually several with each cannon blast.

^This.

I lol'd. I've had my share of setting up cinema sound racks trying to do this sort of thing, with, um, varying results.

With the advent of digital soundtracks, all of a sudden the old setups could no longer do what they were supposed to. Optical sound was great fun to set up but neither the highs or the lows were anywhere near the dynamics of this new thing.

And I'm showing my age and my grumpiness. Dolby Digital is not new and hasn't been for years. It's just that I really like optical. I like its characteristics and I love that the skill needed to properly set up the A chain would decide if the investment in the B chain was worth it.

I am amazed that your point escaped me.

I am all digi, most of the time.

I am NOT reality.  My rig is mostly home commercial. I do have rather ridiculous sub systems and fronts, but no more than a theater might have.

As far as optical, I have so many ways to decode the digi stream, I may have lost track of where I started and where I might want to end up.

I do know that with either of my favorite decoders, feeding my Denon with analog or the straight through approach, I am quite happy and ready to shut most arguments down in the first few moments of one of my movies.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #944 on: July 09, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »

Forgot to mention the whole reason I re-entered this old thread of mine (and then yours or whatever.)

I found a treasure of massive vinyl jazz at Goodwill recently.  I walked away (well, I used a shopping cart)  with seventy eight classic Jazz records.

It is really hard to describe, but It fucking rocks!