Author Topic: hey teacher - leave them kids alone!  (Read 685 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
hey teacher - leave them kids alone!
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:44:09 AM »
OMG I am in a right two and eight.  The urchin’s first day at school is on Tuesday.
So many things I need to remember.  Why has my brain turned to scrambled egg?
And why am I so nervous?

I can’t even remember my own first day at school so it couldn’t have been too bad
really.  I am just in flapping mode and expect to lay an egg any minute. :zoinks:

I worry in case I have made a boo boo.  I had to fight like a dog for this place in
this school,  and I just hope I made the right decision.  It is in a different county’s
Education authority – even though it is less than two miles from our house.  I
really had to stand my ground and prove that my own LEA couldn’t provide
a more suitable  school.

It couldn’t anyway.  It is one of only a few in the uk  (many more in Europe) that is
Called a ‘forest school’.  The school is situated at the foot of the Lickey Hills country
Park and every week all pupils spend a half day out exploring the wilderness.  In all
Weathers. They learn basic stuff about tree’s,  berries,  and how to hold a stick and
how to make a temporary shelter.
  The Lickey Hills

The school garden

They also have an outdoor classroom,  a garden
in which each kid gets a plot,  and the school itself sits on wooded slopes, it has
 two large playing fields, three playgrounds and a deciduous coppice of approximately
one hectare.  I wanted the urchin to go here because they have an eight place ‘autistic
unit’  in it’s mainstream environment.  I thought it would be ideal, but it turns out that
he won’t be starting in the unit.  They don’t think he needs it.  He will start in mainstream
with support,  and of course the unit is there as a back up and extra support  facility.

My own LEA have no schools like it.  They only have ‘special’ schools, or mainstream. 
I hope my being so ‘picky’ will pay off?

Anyway the school have been really great,  they have arranged visits for him to meet
his teacher, and he played in the playground and had a good look around.  They visited
him at nursery to evaluate his special needs .  They have made a special transition
timetable so he starts school gradually.  Yes it all looks good.  (why am I looking for
faults?)   The urchin has several ‘special interests’ – one of which is plugs.  He is a devil
for unplugging stuff and then plugging it in elsewhere.  How amused was I when I learned
the name of his new teacher?  A  Miss Socket!  Oh the irony.  It was like it was meant
to be.  He keeps saying his teacher is called ‘plug socket’ when asked at home!!

I am now busily trying to get his school uniform, and the PE kit, etc but am in
a bit of a flummox and have given myself a headache.  Was going to add a poll
to this about uniforms but will start a new thread.
blah blah blah

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: hey teacher - leave them kids alone!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:05:35 AM »
I think you have done heaps to make it easier on your urchin. :)

When I went to school it was straight to Year One, no pre-school beforehand or anything. No half-days. And my twin sister and I got split up and put into separate classrooms which was more traumatic for her than it was for me but she made friends easily and I didn't.

I think I would have loved to go to a forest school.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 05:45:57 AM »
I am sure first day will be fine....as long as he doesn't try to "plug" Miss Socket
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

midlifeaspie

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
From the parts of that post that an American could understand, it sounds great  :thumbup:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
My first thought was, "OMG_d, he's going to get lost in the forest!"  Can he wear a red cap or a hunter's vest to make it easy to find him?  Seriously.  Really.  No kidding.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:45:05 AM »
-That seems like such a cool school.

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »
Sounds better than what most American public schools are. :dunno:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:51:24 AM »
A cool school indeed :thumbup: I think he will do fine.  Here they have what they call magnet schools in many areas that draw from an overall district instead of just the city it's in and they have various themes.  My son who is still in school goes to   one centered around marine science, my daughter to an art based one. It's great as the kids seem so much more interested in actually going to school and doing the work.  My daughter could not wait for her first day which is today
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:03:13 AM »
Sounds awesome, wish we had something like that around here.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »
That sounds like such a great school for the Urchin.  I think he will love the outdoor activities and it makes having to wear a stupid school uniform almost worth it.

Osensitive1

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 04:19:51 PM »
Sounds like a great school.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 05:05:14 PM »
That sounds like such a great school for the Urchin.  I think he will love the outdoor activities and it makes having to wear a stupid school uniform almost worth it.

Urchin, forest?  How are your clothes mending skills?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
I had to go to a special school and was lumped in with the retards and spastics. The work was ridiculously easy so I got bored and ended up bullying most of them.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
@schleed   Didn't anyone realise you were just bored?  Did they encourage you to do your photography?  or any other interests you had?

@QV   Do you mean 'needle & thread'?   Ahem, not good.  I can use that iron on stuff (wonder web)
blah blah blah

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 06:40:42 PM »
I've only being doing photography since 2008, way after I finished school. No teacher encouraged it and I was not particularly interested in it before then.

In spesh school they did try to take particular attention to me due to not being mentally retarded (such as extra lessons on more harder subjects, reading more advanced books etc), but it was not enough in the long run. I hated the place mainly because I felt my potential was being limited despite their efforts, but I will not blame that for my reason of bullying, as even today I justify it as me being a complete bastard. I eventually left for secondary school, which was a fight and a half to convince officials I was mentally capable for it.