Author Topic: hey teacher - leave them kids alone!  (Read 684 times)

The_Chosen_One

Re: hey teacher - leave them kids alone!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
Shleed: had a similar experience at the School for the Blind I went to. Started off with kids my age, but got moved in with the older kids. Did all the work I could in that class, and ended up back with the other kids, mainly because of the age. Was there for a year, then went back to normal school.

bodie: hope it goes well.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
It is funny though, considered a retard at a spesh school and now going to college to do a bachelor's degree in multimedia. I'm even aiming to keep on going and get a master's degree and ultimately teach. Took a lot of effort to prove myself though. :dunno:

The education services in Ireland when it comes to aspies is really shit though, until recently a lot get put into special schools and mental homes without any hope of potential. Most end up acting retarded because of it, along with ignorance from their parents.

With proper attention, any aspie can easily be a functional member of society and no one will know any wiser. i2 has plenty of examples of that, some of you even have kids and decent professions. People don't even recognise me as being autistic spazz (considered nerdy at most) and I don't even bother telling anyone about it now. It's a shame that many aspies here don't get that opportunity.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:57:01 PM by Schleed »

Osensitive1

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 07:19:51 PM »
With proper attention, any aspie can easily be a functional member of society and no one will know any wiser.
'Any' doesn't seem a fair call when considering full independence, even with proper attention. Know one who will likely always need help. Then again, have never had to be independent, so don't even know if it's something I could do.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
No point trying to use your condition as an excuse to be a retard though.

Osensitive1

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
Edit: nevermind, think I may get what you mean.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:13:05 PM by Jack »

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
When my son had his diagnosis,  they really went OTT in telling me all the things he
will never achieve,  such as independence.   Instinctively i went about proving them wrong.

It can be dangerous to put too high, or too low expectations on a child.  It's just not
fair to do so.
blah blah blah

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 12:42:06 AM »
I can be independent but I can't hide the autism.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »

No, I don't like people saying something and then backing down. What was it that you said?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »
When my son had his diagnosis,  they really went OTT in telling me all the things he
will never achieve,  such as independence.   Instinctively i went about proving them wrong.

It can be dangerous to put too high, or too low expectations on a child.  It's just not
fair to do so

:agreed:
And a :plus: for being a great mom :thumbup:

I can't believe they told you that at such an early age what where they thinking :thumbdn:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 02:06:01 AM »
Thanks Parts.  They told me i should have a grieving period - for the child he would never be!  I took that to mean they categorise autistic kids as 'sub human'   and they said if i had other kids i should
concentrate on them.  Wicked or what?
blah blah blah

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 04:14:28 AM »
Thanks Parts.  They told me i should have a grieving period - for the child he would never be!  I took that to mean they categorise autistic kids as 'sub human'   and they said if i had other kids i should

Those doctors should go die in a fire if that's what they really think. If anyone is a fucking sub-human, it's sociopaths. :thumbdn:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 05:03:26 AM »
It's true if they're severely autistic, that's when they're literally mentally retarded.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 05:18:52 AM »

Those doctors should go die in a fire if that's what they really think. If anyone is a fucking sub-human, it's sociopaths. :thumbdn:

They had absolutely fuck all positive to say!  That is the truth.  They don't want to give any
false hopes they reckon.  I think no one should be written off at age two years old.
blah blah blah

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 10:54:23 AM »

They sound like they missed the class on bedside manners what's next advocating euthanasia :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Osensitive1

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 01:30:32 PM »

No, I don't like people saying something and then backing down. What was it that you said?
Was more of a question than backing down, because didn't see what your second statement had to do with your first, as HFA and asperger aren't retarded. Disagree that every aspie can blend completely and successfully, and thought you might be talking about faking retardation, then realized you most likely meant they should still try to blend, rather than simply resigning one's self to symptoms.