Educational

Author Topic: which video games influienced you?  (Read 3072 times)

The_Chosen_One

Re: which video games influienced you?
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2011, 11:04:28 PM »
Just bought DN Forever. Fucking product codes!! AAARRRGGGHHH!

Tried registering with Steam, and the product code was invalid. Tried different sequences, and the same fucking thing. Had to swap the book and disk over. Now it's installing, and my Steam a/c is set up.

Hope I can use my joystick, cos I hate keyboard/mouse controls.

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »

Tried registering with Steam, and the product code was invalid. Tried different sequences, and the same fucking thing. Had to swap the book and disk over. Now it's installing, and my Steam a/c is set up.

An FPS is best played with WASD+mouse, you know. ::)

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:19 AM »

An FPS is best played with WASD+mouse, you know. ::)

A+D aren't movement on this one. Fucking Microsloth. Need an Xbox 360 controller for Windows, as the dickheads didn't support a universal controller, such as Logitech.

Besides, keyboard/mouse are too fiddly, and quick movement results in death.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »
Finally got DN Forever working. had to get an xbox 360 controller (sod Microsloth) but at least it works. Graphics are good, and it kicks ass like the old one. That cycloid was a bastard to kill, tho'.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
I thought the new one was a bit meh. Glad I didn't buy it, I hate paying for a game and finding out it's crap. Besides personally I think Serious Sam knocked him off the throne long ago, there's a fun game.

Skyrim looks interesting, although to be honest I wasn't too keen on Oblivion before that. Loved Morrowind though, felt there was more to do in it compared to Oblivion, along with better story.

As for Minecraft, I'll probably be addicted to it (again) when 1.8 comes out. The new features look interesting and it's turning more and more into an RPG - something I wanted to begin with.
(If you ask why I lost my addiction, let's just say a friend of mine takes it... a little bit too seriously.)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2011, 12:19:06 AM »
I finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution and playing it again. I love the ability to improvise in situations. Don't have enough ammo? Sneak around and takedown a few guards to steal their ammo (or throw that box, toxic gas canister, explosive barrel at them), can't hack that breakable door? Blast it open with a high powered weapon (and FFS why isn't there a "kick the fucking door down" melee option? Seriously, he's got aug legs), path too guarded? Use a vent or smash through a wall or try the sewers.

I found scarce ammo is only a problem if you're too guns blazing and alert the guards to your presence. I timed my shots so they were almost always head-shots while exploiting cover, and move around to evade guards coming to investigate. The silencer is a must as well as the laser pointer, and strategically taking out the right guard at the right time saves a lot of headaches. Of course you can try the whole evade everyone method, but that's even more time consuming.

It's fun to pop off guards one by one when they investigate the dead body too. "We've got a dead body he..." *BOOM HEADSHOT* :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:35:38 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

eris

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »
vaginas

midlifeaspie

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2011, 08:47:54 AM »
vaginas

Did they release that on the XBox 360?

Offline Phallacy

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 09:45:18 AM »
I thought the new one was a bit meh. Glad I didn't buy it, I hate paying for a game and finding out it's crap. Besides personally I think Serious Sam knocked him off the throne long ago, there's a fun game.

Skyrim looks interesting, although to be honest I wasn't too keen on Oblivion before that. Loved Morrowind though, felt there was more to do in it compared to Oblivion, along with better story.

As for Minecraft, I'll probably be addicted to it (again) when 1.8 comes out. The new features look interesting and it's turning more and more into an RPG - something I wanted to begin with.
(If you ask why I lost my addiction, let's just say a friend of mine takes it... a little bit too seriously.)

I think Manual Labor: The Game... ahem! Minecraft is shit. Maybe when the newer versions come out, I will change my mind a little bit. But as for now, you're just running around, "mining" materials just to build things out of blocks, and fighting the same few monsters over and over again. The terrain, because it is procedurally generated, is just a bunch of random patches of hills and lakes. Boring to explore.

If I wanted to build shit, I'd get a 3D modeling program. At least it wouldn't crash all the time due to memory leaks. :zoinks:

Offline Insanity66

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2011, 11:58:48 AM »

I think Manual Labor: The Game... ahem! Minecraft is shit. Maybe when the newer versions come out, I will change my mind a little bit. But as for now, you're just running around, "mining" materials just to build things out of blocks, and fighting the same few monsters over and over again. The terrain, because it is procedurally generated, is just a bunch of random patches of hills and lakes. Boring to explore.

If I wanted to build shit, I'd get a 3D modeling program. At least it wouldn't crash all the time due to memory leaks. :zoinks:

How about Terraria? It's like Minecraft, but it has graphics!

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 12:14:31 PM »
Terraria is good, but I got a bit fed up with it. It gets too hard when you get down into hell.

Offline Phallacy

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »
I am not interested in this cheap, uninspired, and pathetic 2D Minecraft knockoff. :orly:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2011, 12:43:05 PM »
I am not interested in this cheap, uninspired, and pathetic 2D Minecraft knockoff. :orly:

Is Insanity66 a sockpuppet for you to argue with?

Offline Phallacy

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2011, 01:35:08 PM »

Is Insanity66 a sockpuppet for you to argue with?

Yep. :zoinks:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »

Minecraft uses a voxel system for it's terrain, a 3D modelling program would yield far different results. You always have a tendency to think apples and oranges are the same though.  :autism:

I think the whole aspect of mining to make your own things is far more rewarding and makes building fun, I also found it really helped me plan out creations. In multiplayer it's much more fun, we can plan things together and do massive creations.