Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201383 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10875 on: July 19, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
The chipmunks are now raiding my cherry tomatoes.  Moved the entire planter closer to the porch and the house like I did Amber's strawberry plant.  That should deter the little fuckers somewhat.

Give me a CO2 repeating pellet gun and a 6 pack of beer and I'll get rid of those chipmunks.  :arrr:

If it continues, I may take you up on that offer....or buy the damned pellet gun myself!  My father in law took care of many a woodchuck with his 22.  You didn't mess with a college professor feeding his wife and 6 children's food source.  And nothing messes with my veggies.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:35:50 PM by rock hound »
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10876 on: July 19, 2018, 04:41:44 PM »
I think that this guy is a NUT/GENIUS.

His "Marble Machine X"  in getting closer to completion all the time. Remember the first effort video I posted a couple of years ago?
This is a partway look at his newest efforts.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:43:25 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10877 on: July 19, 2018, 06:45:09 PM »
Holy crap, yes. I can't wait to see how it runs when it's finished.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10878 on: July 19, 2018, 10:02:44 PM »
Didn't know chipmunks eat cherry tomatoes too. I guess I'll need to watch that.

Just started seeing them again here after about 20+ years and our "re-location project" from the early 90's late 80's. Used to be a ton of those suckers running around.

I think we re-homed over 30 of them. It worked well, too well. Didn't see ANY for years.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10879 on: July 19, 2018, 10:26:33 PM »
Hmmm, not familiar with chipmunks. Raccoons, though, been watching videos of them. They're cute but aren't they destructive? In the videos, it looks like they're kept as pets.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10880 on: July 19, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »
Chipmunks are kind of like tiny squirrels.

When I was in the States my gf and I stayed in a hotel inside a nature reserve or national park or whatever you guys call it in Virginia. There were chipmunks scurrying around the breakfast dining area picking up scraps. Lots of chipmunks. My gf laughed at me when I called them "midget squirrels" - I don't think I'd even seen a photo of a real chipmunk, so I was only familiar with the cartoon version.

We saw a black bear and some cubs too. Not in the breakfast area though.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #10881 on: July 20, 2018, 12:34:30 AM »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10884 on: July 20, 2018, 08:06:25 AM »

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10886 on: July 20, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »
Didn't know chipmunks eat cherry tomatoes too. I guess I'll need to watch that.

Just started seeing them again here after about 20+ years and our "re-location project" from the early 90's late 80's. Used to be a ton of those suckers running around.

I think we re-homed over 30 of them. It worked well, too well. Didn't see ANY for years.

I have many of those damn "grassrats" in the neighborhood, along with raccoons, opossums, hedgehogs and rabbits. Rabbits eat my greens, opossums eat my fruit and tomatoes and grassrats just trash all my potted herbs. Raccoons mostly just dig and go through the garbage, making a big mess AND climbing all over my trellises and running around on the roof at night.
THAT sucks!  :GA:

I recommend a dog. Both my recent dogs have helped tremendously. My last dog was apparently trained to leave rabbits alone. I have seen him just sit quietly watching a family of rabbits ravage my broccoli, but when he stood up out of his crouching, stalking position the rabbits ran like hell!
And even though both the opossums and raccoons were twice his size, he kept them on the run.

My current dog chases everything away. He won't even allow birds to land without engaging chase mode. Not much trouble from invading "pests" this year.

Last year I had my pump pellet guns (I have a pistol which fires sub-sonic and a powerful carbine which fires at speeds well over the speed of sound and will absolutely kill anything on four paws in my neighborhood) loaded and ready most all season after seeing the rabbits just gorging on my salad garden, but when I saw my late chihuahua stalking them and just passively scaring them away, I just felt that it was handled. I never shot one.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10887 on: July 20, 2018, 08:31:56 AM »
Hmmm, not familiar with chipmunks. Raccoons, though, been watching videos of them. They're cute but aren't they destructive? In the videos, it looks like they're kept as pets.

Many ignorant people try to keep wild animals as pets and as intelligent as raccoons are they manage to trade their freedom for meal security with people fairly successfully, but they are still "destructive" if not caged most of the time.

Chipmunks are like quarter-sized squirrels. Another wild animal often kept as a pet, sadly. They have to be caged, most of the time. Take them out and play with them, feed them and such, but they generally escape at first opportunity.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10888 on: July 20, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »
Holy crap, yes. I can't wait to see how it runs when it's finished.

He has an enormous series of videos on the process, this time. He has attracted a few sponsors, as well. One crew helping him has a CNC machine.
He also has engineering friends anxious to be a part of the project. This Marble Machine X creation, from start to finish, is very well documented!

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10889 on: July 20, 2018, 08:58:51 AM »
You guys have some strange wildlife.

We get the occasional possum. Big ones, one climbed our baby apple tree to get at the fruit and the whole tree fell over. Foxes sometimes, and deer apparently although I've never seen one. Wallabies. The worst are the cockatoos, they destroy anything they can get their beaks on. The kookaburras make me nervous when they hang around the backyard. It'a likely they're looking for their favourite food. Snakes. And most of the snakes around here are deadly fuckers.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass