Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84181 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #4425 on: September 28, 2020, 10:24:19 AM »
I thought gophers were good at this sort of thing. :zoinks:

Seriously though, what does a hundred new cases per day even mean if the number of tests administered aren't factored in? I've been watching a website for tracking my state, it tracks new cases per day, but also tracks the percentage of tests which are either positive or negative. Only the latter seems meaningful.  :dunno:
Our tracks test percentages as well. Wish Canada was an option to plug into that graph but we don't exist in the list  :P
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4426 on: September 28, 2020, 10:41:16 AM »

Seriously though, what does a hundred new cases per day even mean if the number of tests administered aren't factored in? I've been watching a website for tracking my state, it tracks new cases per day, but also tracks the percentage of tests which are either positive or negative. Only the latter seems meaningful.  :dunno:
Our tracks test percentages as well. Wish Canada was an option to plug into that graph but we don't exist in the list  :P
I thought that was weird, but I'm hoping other places like Canada and Australia will be added later, because a single source for multiple countries is more interesting.
Here you go.  :thumbup: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/45-28-0001/2020001/article/00076-eng.htm
:gopher:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4427 on: September 28, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »

I thought that was weird, but I'm hoping other places like Canada and Australia will be added later, because a single source for multiple countries is more interesting.
Here you go.  :thumbup: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/45-28-0001/2020001/article/00076-eng.htm
Sweet Thank you!
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4428 on: September 28, 2020, 01:48:15 PM »
Saw a V-22 Osprey fly over kinda low
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4429 on: September 28, 2020, 04:15:56 PM »
Wore my t-shirt inside out for 11 hours today and nobody in my family thought to tell me. It has writing on it so it's twice as noticeable. The fact that it says "Caffeine because adulting is hard" makes it all the more comical. Thankfully I was wearing a jacket when I went out today  :facepalm2: :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4430 on: September 29, 2020, 12:00:27 AM »

You can create a model for the former based on the latter but essentially you're right, of course.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4431 on: September 29, 2020, 12:01:22 AM »
Wore my t-shirt inside out for 11 hours today and nobody in my family thought to tell me. It has writing on it so it's twice as noticeable. The fact that it says "Caffeine because adulting is hard" makes it all the more comical. Thankfully I was wearing a jacket when I went out today  :facepalm2: :laugh:

:laugh:

It would have been awesome if you hadn't.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4432 on: September 30, 2020, 06:51:57 AM »
Dr Harry (the TV animal behavior expert) lives the area. Some workmates were bitching about him today and how he's actually an unfriendly grump :laugh:
He bought his property off the guy who owns the NRMA shopfront below our office.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4433 on: September 30, 2020, 11:53:57 AM »
I was driving out of the grocery store parking lot this morning when I almost hit a guy on a bike. It quickly became clear he was stealing, he had a basket from the store full of groceries and he was jumping onto a bike in mid run, right in front of the car. There was a store worker running after him, who was joined by a patron in the lot. A box of cereal fell out of the basket. He darted out across four lanes of traffic and made it to the other side of the road and rode away.

For a moment I was thinking about how to stop him, but afterwards it was more like would he have even stopped if I'd offered to pay for the groceries and whatever he needed? How desperate do you have to be to steal a basket of food from the grocery store?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4434 on: September 30, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »

:laugh:

It would have been awesome if you hadn't.
It really would have summed up the entire pandemic in one moment.  :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4435 on: September 30, 2020, 12:14:25 PM »
I was driving out of the grocery store parking lot this morning when I almost hit a guy on a bike. It quickly became clear he was stealing, he had a basket from the store full of groceries and he was jumping onto a bike in mid run, right in front of the car. There was a store worker running after him, who was joined by a patron in the lot. A box of cereal fell out of the basket. He darted out across four lanes of traffic and made it to the other side of the road and rode away.

For a moment I was thinking about how to stop him, but afterwards it was more like would he have even stopped if I'd offered to pay for the groceries and whatever he needed? How desperate do you have to be to steal a basket of food from the grocery store?

I paid for big bag of dog food after a middle aged woman had ran off with one.  I told the guy working the till to leave her alone and I would pay.  If she was stealing food for a dog you can bet your life she's hungry herself, I thought.

People don't steal food because they're winning in life.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4436 on: September 30, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
Truth
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4437 on: October 01, 2020, 12:38:18 AM »
+1

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4438 on: October 09, 2020, 04:11:20 PM »

I paid for big bag of dog food after a middle aged woman had ran off with one.  I told the guy working the till to leave her alone and I would pay.  If she was stealing food for a dog you can bet your life she's hungry herself, I thought.

People don't steal food because they're winning in life.

:indeed: :plus:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4439 on: October 10, 2020, 02:29:26 AM »
It's good to have the board back. I missed you guys. :)

- Albert Einstein