Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84170 times)

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #4410 on: September 26, 2020, 04:42:34 PM »
I don't get the urgent mass buying of toilet roll. It does nothing but destroy the supply for everyone else. Wow well done buying 10 stacks of jumbo loo roll, covid cured everyone!  :wanker:

Fucking idiots, the whole lot of them. In the past 6 months we've used only 1 and half 8 packs of toilet roll despite being constantly in the house. That's despite constant shite'n, wanks, mishaps etc, doubly folded over and used liberally in general.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 04:45:29 PM by Dirty Big Yoke »

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4411 on: September 26, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »
It's just starting again here but we're into the second wave. We buy 12 rolls but start looking when we're down to 3 rolls due to supply issues and we have 4 people in the house which also cuts into the supply more quickly. Thankfully a week ago I had topped up the things I was out of, or nearly out of, so I don't need to worry about the things that went so quickly last time. Flour, yeast, tp, hand sanitizer, disinfecting all purpose cleaner and kleenex. The only thing I need to get is cold meds so we have them here if someone gets sick with the usual flu/cold type stuff.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4412 on: September 26, 2020, 05:45:24 PM »
I don't get the urgent mass buying of toilet roll. It does nothing but destroy the supply for everyone else. Wow well done buying 10 stacks of jumbo loo roll, covid cured everyone!  :wanker:

Fucking idiots, the whole lot of them. In the past 6 months we've used only 1 and half 8 packs of toilet roll despite being constantly in the house. That's despite constant shite'n, wanks, mishaps etc, doubly folded over and used liberally in general.

I can totally relate to someone who feels like they need a lot of toilet paper.  :lol1: What I can't relate to, is someone who feels like they need a lot of toilet paper but they don't already have a lot of toilet paper. Especially now.  :dunno:  The rest, I may just be used to it, because panic buying happens here every time a storm points this way. Some stuff makes sense, like all the bread and lunch meat disappearing, ice and canned stuff like soups, because people are basically preparing to camp in their homes if there's a power outage. What I don't understand is the bottled water. It's stunning people who live in a disaster zone would wait until the last minute to be prepared with drinking water.
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4413 on: September 26, 2020, 05:53:28 PM »
It's just starting again here but we're into the second wave. We buy 12 rolls but start looking when we're down to 3 rolls due to supply issues and we have 4 people in the house which also cuts into the supply more quickly. Thankfully a week ago I had topped up the things I was out of, or nearly out of, so I don't need to worry about the things that went so quickly last time. Flour, yeast, tp, hand sanitizer, disinfecting all purpose cleaner and kleenex. The only thing I need to get is cold meds so we have them here if someone gets sick with the usual flu/cold type stuff.

The second wave in the US started when reopening began in June and peaked at the end of July, so it's already in a downward trend again for a couple of months. It didn't seem to create a second panic buy, at least not locally and I haven't heard of it anywhere else. I figure people who can stock up, already have.  :dunno:

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #4414 on: September 26, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »
My home state's second wave happened in the City, and down in the southern part of the state... the university towns were most affected.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4415 on: September 27, 2020, 01:44:22 AM »
The numbers are rising in a few parts of the country but there's no second wave yet, I think. I'm sure it'll come because people are ignoring all the rules now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4416 on: September 27, 2020, 05:51:31 AM »
All the towns supermarkets are now out of toilet paper.  I reckon we've got enough to last another 5 days then we're wiping our arses on leaves and twigs.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4417 on: September 27, 2020, 06:21:11 AM »
All the towns supermarkets are now out of toilet paper.  I reckon we've got enough to last another 5 days then we're wiping our arses on leaves and twigs.

Maybe you'll learn a lesson this time.  :zoinks:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4418 on: September 27, 2020, 06:39:07 AM »

Maybe you'll learn a lesson this time.  :zoinks:

Gopher's look quite soft and absorbent.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4419 on: September 27, 2020, 06:43:10 AM »
 :lol1:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4420 on: September 27, 2020, 07:45:55 AM »
Lots people out walking and riding bikes early on a Sunday morning,  I dont like it it used to be my quiet time to be out with the dogs
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4421 on: September 27, 2020, 05:48:39 PM »

The second wave in the US started when reopening began in June and peaked at the end of July, so it's already in a downward trend again for a couple of months. It didn't seem to create a second panic buy, at least not locally and I haven't heard of it anywhere else. I figure people who can stock up, already have.  :dunno:
Did you guys ever flatten the curve for a good chunk of time the first time around though? Our province didn't open up until we were under 2% of new daily cases for weeks (so under 100 new daily cases). We were down to 0.2% for awhile and now we're back to 1% daily again and they're limiting things again.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4422 on: September 27, 2020, 06:55:27 PM »

Did you guys ever flatten the curve for a good chunk of time the first time around though? Our province didn't open up until we were under 2% of new daily cases for weeks (so under 100 new daily cases). We were down to 0.2% for awhile and now we're back to 1% daily again and they're limiting things again.

Honestly I can't even wrap my head around the whole aspect of positive cases, or understand how anyone else can either, because it's grounded in availability and abundance of testing, so I can only think about it in terms of mortality. I don't think anyone here has acknowledged the US is already on the downside of a second wave, at least I haven't seen or read anyone else say it, although that graph Jack found on excess mortality clearly shows it. https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/excess-mortality-p-scores?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=2020-01-05..latest&country=~USA&region=World
So, I guess you have to consider you're talking to a gopher.  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4423 on: September 28, 2020, 12:20:42 AM »
I thought gophers were good at this sort of thing. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4424 on: September 28, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »
I thought gophers were good at this sort of thing. :zoinks:

Seriously though, what does a hundred new cases per day even mean if the number of tests administered aren't factored in? I've been watching a website for tracking my state, it tracks new cases per day, but also tracks the percentage of tests which are either positive or negative. Only the latter seems meaningful.  :dunno: