Author Topic: Slutwalk  (Read 2628 times)

Binty

Slutwalk
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:02:40 PM »
I have mixed views about the whole thing.  Slutwalk was a protest against what a police officer said about rape: "Women should avoid dressing like sluts in order to not be victimized."

Now, I agree that what he said is out of order as it puts all the blame on the woman and absolves the man.  However, there is a slight element of truth to what he said.  I mean, with the way some of the woman dress like, it just screams "FUCK ME".  No, it doesn't immediately equal to "feel free to rape me if you wish" but it DOES put you in the eyes of a man as a target.  We should try to educate men that just because a woman's clothing looks like a "yes" it doesn't actually mean "yes".

Largely my views are in the middle between this article and the comments underneath:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/the-funny-thing-about-the-slutwalk-feminism/

Thoughts?

Osensitive1

Re: Slutwalk
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »
Rape is wrong, of course, and when it comes to rapists clothing may or may not be realted to their preference. Women who dress and act like whores get treated like whores even outside of the scope of the issue of rape. Not sure if men are the ones who need educated on this.

Binty

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:27:58 PM »
Women who dress and act like whores do not deserve rape.  They may invite it but they do not deserve it.  This is why men need to be educated.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:30:12 PM »
Women who dress and act like whores do not deserve rape.  They may invite it but they do not deserve it.  This is why men need to be educated.

I think that most rapists know rape is wrong, but choose to do it anyway. I'm not sure how you can educate a rapist not to rape.

Osensitive1

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »
Women who dress and act like whores do not deserve rape.  They may invite it but they do not deserve it.  This is why men need to be educated.
Of course they don't deserve rape, and not sure if they invite it. Have no idea what's in a rapists head, but understand clothing isn't allowed to be brought up in court because plenty of rape victims aren't dressed in any way provocative. It's silly to connect the two.

Osensitive1

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »
I'm not sure how you can educate a rapist not to rape.
Not sure it's possible.

Binty

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:33:19 PM »

I think that most rapists know rape is wrong, but choose to do it anyway. I'm not sure how you can educate a rapist not to rape.

It's not educating the rapist specifically though, it's educating people who think that just because a woman wears revealing clothing, it's okay to rape her.  Those people who absolve the men of any blame and say the woman brought it on herself.

Binty

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »
Of course they don't deserve rape, and not sure if they invite it. Have no idea what's in a rapists head, but understand clothing isn't allowed to be brought up in court because plenty of rape victims aren't dressed in any way provocative. It's silly to connect the two.

I agree.  That's why I think the Slutwalk was fucking stupid :P  However I do agree that it was out of order for a police officer to say what he did.

Meh, I'm not good at getting my points across lately.

Osensitive1

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
it's educating people who think that just because a woman wears revealing clothing, it's okay to rape her.
Is that what you think that police officer said?

P7PSP

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »
You mean the vast majority of men who live their entire life not committing rape anyway? I have made it to 51 years old without committing rape. I am fairly confident that I can refrain from raping women the rest of my life without the benefit of anti rape conditioning.  ::)

Binty

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »
it's educating people who think that just because a woman wears revealing clothing, it's okay to rape her.
Is that what you think that police officer said?

Pretty much:  "Women should avoid dressing like sluts in order to not be victimized."

Binty

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »
You mean the vast majority of men who live their entire life not committing rape anyway? I have made it to 51 years old without committing rape. I am fairly confident that I can refrain from raping women the rest of my life without the benefit of anti rape conditioning.  ::)

What the hell does anti-rape conditioning even mean?  ::)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »

It's not educating the rapist specifically though, it's educating people who think that just because a woman wears revealing clothing, it's okay to rape her.  Those people who absolve the men of any blame and say the woman brought it on herself.

People who think that are jerks, but will convincing them they're wrong actually stop any girls getting raped? If they're not the ones doing the raping.

eris

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:52 PM »
I think that women who dress like that should may be be treated as such, but such is not rape. When a man goes from boobies to forced sex acts it's not really about the miniskirt.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 09:39:52 PM »

I had no idea you were 51. I've seen your pics. You'ree holding up well for an old boy :2thumbsup: