Author Topic: Slutwalk  (Read 2634 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Slutwalk
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
^Your points about location are important; vulnerability is more of an issue than dress.

Yes. I would avoid those areas at night, even if not dressed sluttily.

Binty

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
It will certainly help get more rapists convicted if anything.
How?

By not absolving the man of all blame.  This is a police officer who said that.  It's highly likely then that more police officers think likewise and the police, apart from a hospital, is where a woman would most likely go to if she was raped.  This is why so few women report being raped in the first place as they're afraid that people will turn round and say that they asked for it.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »
This is an argument that I've heard many times. It basically comes down to two points of view.
One is that every woman, or person has an intrinsic right not to be seriously wronged. Morally this is true.
The other is that we have to take esponsibility for keeping ourselves safe, because the one thing we can absolutely rely on is the fact that there is always someone out there who will do us wrong, and all we can do is try our best to make sure it doesn't happen to us.

It's a basic dilema between idealism and pragmatism.

Binty

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 10:18:28 PM »
 :indeed:

I'm still not sure where I stand on that.  I'd like to be idealistic but common sense tells me something different.

Osensitive1

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 10:20:41 PM »
This is an argument that I've heard many times. It basically comes down to two points of view.
One is that every woman, or person has an intrinsic right not to be seriously wronged. Morally this is true.
The other is that we have to take esponsibility for keeping ourselves safe, because the one thing we can absolutely rely on is the fact that there is always someone out there who will do us wrong, and all we can do is try our best to make sure it doesn't happen to us.

Great post.

Binty

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »

Great post.

I agree.  I'd plus her again if I could.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 10:26:54 PM »
thanks guys :)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
There is a point to what the guy said. I don't dress slutty, but if I did, I'd be carefull where I did it. I would avoid walking through dark areas at night and stay on roads where I felt safe.

Same as if I went out for a drink with a lot of money on me. I wouldn't go into some dingy, rough pub in a bad area, and let it be seen that I was carrying lotss of money. Of course it wouldn't give anyone the right to rob me, but I know that it would increase my chances of being robbed.

In an ideal world, we could go about our business knowing that we were safe from others. Sadly we don't live in an ideal world, and the burden of responsibility for our own safety ultimately rests on our own shoulders.

Agree on all your points, not just in this point, but the following ones, ie; precautions etc....it's the world we live in.

On top of that, you have the progression of society. Hell, we'd all be classed as 'sluts' if we were morphed back 100 years!

I would never do anything to compromise my safety or incite some sort of attention in an unsafe situation.

That being said, both times I have been sexually attacked were in so called 'safe' scenarios. The flipside is, you shouldn't live your life in fear also.

That's not to disagree, but to say, you can conduct yourself within the 'rules' and still be a target. Yep, you can increase those chances by being blase, but to live your whole life with a fear of what might happen, is also not a safe haven. In fact, I'd go so far as to say, I have been safer in far more perceived 'riskier' situations, than when I was in 'safer' situations.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 10:29:58 PM »
I think the issue of provocative clothing isn't the arousal factor, not even about 'asking for it', but rather how easy it would be to remove those items to commit the act. I mean if you're a rapist with a choice between a woman wearing a tight trenchcoat with jeans and a woman wearing a loose blouse and a miniskirt, which one sounds easier to target and overpower?
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

eris

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 10:30:44 PM »
I fail to understand how dressing like a slut promotes violence on women.

yes it promotes the bitch getting treated like a whore...but rape ?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:25:37 AM by eris »

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 10:34:52 PM »
This is funny because a lot of people here look down on anyone who dresses like whores. Would you give a shit if those Newcastle bints were raped? :dunno:

Binty

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
Sometimes the lines are murky.  Any time a woman doesn't give consent, it's rape.

It doesn't always have to be about being attacked on the street or in some dark alley.  See my party scenario.

Binty

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »
This is funny because a lot of people here look down on anyone who dresses like whores. Would you give a shit if those Newcastle bints were raped? :dunno:

I looked down on them because they were dressed in ridiculous clothing when it was snowing.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 10:39:14 PM »
Personally I'd not give a shit if they did, despite agreeing with the overall topic. Would you?

Osensitive1

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 10:40:09 PM »
Would you give a shit if those Newcastle bints were raped? :dunno:
If they were someone I cared for, then yes would care.