Author Topic: MidlifeAspie  (Read 14097 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: MidlifeAspie
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2011, 10:29:14 PM »
Well he lasted longer than Sinsboldly or Quatermass and that says it all.

True.

I think he has lasted longer than Mr Mark, too.

Midlifeaspie, how is the speech therapy for your son going?

Do they come over to your home to deliver services, or does your son go to them?

I am getting a third opinion on Tuesday from a state service that is coming to do an in-home evaluation.  I like this better and the last two didn't really seem to know what they were doing.

my little urchin is three,  he was diagnosed ASD at two.  I was worried about his speech.  I can remember hearing other mothers saying 'quiet' and 'Shut up now' to their kids!  and i used to think to meself 'i will never do that, if only he could talk'  its very hard in the UK to get speech therapy for that age group.  Had to pay privately.  £70 an hour.  It didn't work.
Four months ago i put him in a nursery for 'normal' kids,  well there was one other ASD,  and the urchin hasn't stopped chattering since. Proper sentences now. He goes there 15hrs a week.  All i am trying to say is don't worry too much about ST.  I don't know your situation,  but you could try increasing the time he spends with other kids.  However hard we as adults try, it is very hard to imitate a three year old!!!  I used to avoid playgroups at first,  used to hate the way other parents looked at us,   cus my boy, well cus we were 'different'  maybe it was paranoia, but definately the wrong way to go.

I will let you know that my son was non-verbal (not-mute) we laboured trying to teach him words and meaning and nada. Then within a short period (six months) he became verbal. How? He watched TV and started pulling phrases off there that he would drop into context and usually get it right. Usually with the same inflection and accent as the person who said it on TV. He quickly built a repertoire around this and then finally was "brave enough" 6 months later with his basic needs and wants satisfied through this and having been so successful of getting what he wanted, to start working on using his own words.

I may say a lot of horrible thing about Wiggles and Thomas the Tank and those fucking teletubbies but this is where he learned to speak properly and they gave a scared confused little boy a voice and for some reason made sense when nothing else did. I respect this.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2011, 11:17:06 PM »
I also didn't speak when I was two. Then at age four I started to talk and at age six I was speaking clearly anyone could now understand me.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2011, 11:48:31 PM »
I may say a lot of horrible thing about Wiggles and Thomas the Tank and those fucking teletubbies but this is where he learned to speak properly and they gave a scared confused little boy a voice and for some reason made sense when nothing else did. I respect this.

Thanks for that.  He does watch a fair amount of PBS kids so maybe he will start whining like that bitch Caillou :)  I would take it any way it came at this point.

My avatar is a little tip of the hat your direction, won't keep it very long.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2011, 07:13:27 AM »
I like your avatar.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »
My son was born at 28 weeks and was under 2 lbs.

He didn't do anything according to the "book".

He wouldn't crawl, and when he finally did it was to crawl 2 paces to the nearest object he could pull himself up on and stand.

He didn't talk until he was about 2 1/2, he imitated noises and we did hand signs to ease fustration. But when he finally started talking though, look out, it was like a dam gave way.

One thing I will say, take everything the "professionals" tell you with a grain of salt, they may know kids, but they really don't know "your" kid. For the first year I really can't say I heard anything hopeful or promising from any of them, just imformation about all the learning disabilities and development problems he would most likely have due to his prematurity.

They were all wrong.

He just turned 12 this month, doing great so far in school, and obsessed with computers & video games like the rest of his friends.   

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2011, 10:19:21 AM »

He wouldn't crawl, and when he finally did it was to crawl 2 paces to the nearest object he could pull himself up on and stand.

He didn't talk until he was about 2 1/2, he imitated noises and we did hand signs to ease fustration. But when he finally started talking though, look out, it was like a dam gave way.

One thing I will say, take everything the "professionals" tell you with a grain of salt, they may know kids, but they really don't know "your" kid. For the first year I really can't say I heard anything hopeful or promising from any of them, just imformation about all the learning disabilities and development problems he would most likely have due to his prematurity.

They were all wrong.

He just turned 12 this month, doing great so far in school, and obsessed with computers & video games like the rest of his friends.   
  Wow icequeen   good on you for proving em wrong :thumbup:  the 'professionals'  told me my lad might never speak and i should focus my attention on my other kids - well i dont have any!!!  Really great that your lad is doing well :2thumbsup:
blah blah blah

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »
MidlifeAspie, would you consider i2 to be a second home? :zoinks:
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2011, 11:42:09 AM »
Doctors are always wrong. Always telling parents their kids won't be able to do this or that because of birth complications they had or autism they have or other disabilities. Even my in laws were told my husband would never be able to read so they would have to color code everything and they told him other stuff but he did them all. My parents were told I'd never be able to talk or live a normal life and I'd be in an institution by the time I was ten. My parents never listened and neither do other parents. They always have hope so they try and teach their kids and give them therapy and they always prove the doctors wrong.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2011, 01:24:58 PM »

They were all wrong.

Thanks for the positive story.  These really do help a lot :)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
My daughter had an inchworm type of locomotion at first, where only the back of her head and her feet touched the floor at times.  She only crawled for a week or two, then she was pulling herself up on the furniture and cruising, and she walked alone by 11 months.

She was so tiny that it was a sight to see her stand straight up and walk because she was still wearing 3 - 6 month clothes.  I had a hard time finding size 1 shoes for her that weren't just crib shoes with cloth soles, but I found one little pair of Sam and Libby ballerina shoes that had thin leather soles and a pair of size 1 leather Keds with the traditional rubber sole.  I was so happy to find those because she could walk outside in them.

I wasn't worried when she was 2 because I could still understand her speech even if nobody else could, but when she was 3 and still unable to be understood I took her to see a private speech therapist, who eveluated her as below the first percentile and recommended speech therapy and a special preschool for kids both with and without special needs, because her play was also delayed.  She got speech therapy from the preschool as well and she's still getting speech therapy through her school even now.  She's much more understandable than she used to be, however.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
Just want to ask if 'they' know over at WP,  about you posting here,  are there any rules relating to memberships of other sites?
blah blah blah

Osensitive1

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 08:41:36 PM »
Pretty sure someone mentioned in his other thread about his welcome thread being linked on wp. Think maybe Mum mentioned it.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »
Just want to ask if 'they' know over at WP,  about you posting here,  are there any rules relating to memberships of other sites?

The other mods know, and of course all the regulars from both sites.  I don't know if Alex knows so I guess I may find out about "rules" at some point :)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
You are very welcome to post here. Poke around and see who's who and what we do. Make yourself comfy.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2011, 05:55:43 AM »

The other mods know, and of course all the regulars from both sites.  I don't know if Alex knows so I guess I may find out about "rules" at some point :)

Beware the Red Queen.  :orly:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.