Educational

Author Topic: Hello midlifeaspie  (Read 18080 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Hello midlifeaspie
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
Oh, simply that people told me you are a mod at WP.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2011, 11:23:34 AM »
I have a question for you, midlifeaspie. Not considering any circumstances in which a member might present an actual danger to WP or its other members, would you ever retaliate against someone on WP for something that that member posted here?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »
If you wonder how active I am going to be, the answer would probably be "not very".  Moderating WP takes up most of my online time.  I am curious to get to know some of you and something about this site, but doubt I have a lot to contribute that is different from what I contribute at WP.

I was banned at WP in 2006 for comparing the place to a daytime soap (that was when we found out that Alex was reading other people's PMs) so I won't be reading you there. If you want to know us and us to know you, post here. As you know, what you say is moderated at WP. You can't tell anyone to fuck off or say that Alex is a vindictive little cunt there because someone will warn you and then ban you.

You can, here.

Oh, yes, I forgot about that good point.  Midlifeaspie, since you are still relatively new on WP, know that Alex can read your PMs anytime he wants and if you express the opinion in a PM that WP is going to hell in a handbasket, then he will kick you out.  Be very careful with what you say in PMs on WP.

I agree with Soph that the current mods seem to be doing a better job than many of the previous mods so far, at least since 2006.  Some of the mods and admins from back then were very good and there have been a few good ones since, IMO.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »
If you wonder how active I am going to be, the answer would probably be "not very".  Moderating WP takes up most of my online time.  I am curious to get to know some of you and something about this site, but doubt I have a lot to contribute that is different from what I contribute at WP.

I was banned at WP in 2006 for comparing the place to a daytime soap (that was when we found out that Alex was reading other people's PMs) so I won't be reading you there. If you want to know us and us to know you, post here. As you know, what you say is moderated at WP. You can't tell anyone to fuck off or say that Alex is a vindictive little cunt there because someone will warn you and then ban you.

You can, here.

It's true! I'm constantly calling people vindictive little cunts here, they tell me to fuck off, and everybody's happy!   :santa:

Good lord!

She's now using the C-word  :zombiefuck:  :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :o :o :o :o :o
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Scrapheap

« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2011, 11:33:20 AM »
I asked about the actions of the current moderation staff and you answered by talking about the old staff.

Well, since the history of unprofessional moderation goes back so far, and was sanctioned by Alex himself, the onus is on the current moderation staff to prove that they will be different. Simply saying that things are different isn't good enough, you all will have to go out and prove it.

Let's look at your "questions":

Who decides what thoughts must be expressed?  The member does - but their actions take place in a moderated environment and they must accept the consequences of their words.

AFAIK, expressing ideas isn't SUPPOSED to be against the TOS, but I could be wrong about that since so many people have been banned for expressing opinions that Alex didn't personally like.

The rules are simple and far less ambiguous than previously.

If there's a new TOS, I'm going to have to read it. Did they remove the portions that were illegal?? (claiming that members posts were property of WP and couldn't be re-posted elsewhere whithout permission of Alex)

I believe most people want to follow the rules and participate on a level playing field.

The problem with WP is that it hasn't been a level playing field. Constructive criticism as been routinely deleted, those with dissenting voices are silenced. Claiming that you are creating a level playing field has to be something more that mere lip service. If I see evidence that there is a level playing field there, I might return.

Since you brought up the subject of a "level playing field", there's no place with with a more level field than right here at I2.  8)

Those who don't want that don't really want to be there anyway, they just want to cause trouble.

Wouldn't part of being a support site be allowing people to learn how to handle bullies??

TCO tried to bully me on WP and I gave him an arse whipping without the help of the mods. He tried to do the same thing here and I gave him a second arse whipping.

Like the other mods?  No.

I'm a skeptic. You're going to have to prove that.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2011, 11:37:16 AM »

You can, here.

It's true! I'm constantly calling people vindictive little cunts here, they tell me to fuck off, and everybody's happy!   :santa:

Good lord!

She's now using the C-word  :zombiefuck:  :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :o :o :o :o :o

Ooops, I did, didn't I?   *carefully places a quarter in the I2 swear box*   :angel:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »
Leejosepho isn't a moderator anymore.  The entire moderation staff at Wrong Planet is less than 4 weeks into the job, and learning as we go.  I have a couple of years under my belt moderating a larger site than WP, but certainly not with the unique challenges that this site presents.

Thought police?  Think what you will, but not every thought that crosses your mind must be expressed.  I have no interest in stifling debate or being a preschool teacher, only in allowing people with social disabilities the space to interact with others without being bullied for entertainment.  Most of you have accounts over there.  Do you really see us doing anything other than this?  Do you think any action taken so far has been petty or personal?  (Leejosepho handled the iamnotaprettybirdie situation single handedly, leading to the current staffing)

If you have no interest in stifling debate, then why are you locking so many threads?

It seems to me that every time a debate becomes interesting over there, you lock it saying that the debate has run its course.

Are there some personal attacks that have been deleted from these locked threads?

Nothing has been deleted from a locked thread by anyone on the current staff.  Someone else who is no longer on the staff went on a deletion spree and none of us can even keep track of what happened there.

The threads I locked were not good debates, except the one on creating a straights-only forum which I locked down and reopened again after moving to PPR.

I agree that all those deletions by the former mod made it very difficult to follow what actually happened in some of the threads.  I think the former mod is probably a good person who meant well, but he went way overboard with the edit and delete buttons.  

I disagree about the others threads that were locked not being good debates too.

If there were no personal attacks in these threads, I think that if threads are locked because they are topics where people strongly disagree with one another, then the debates don't really run their course and the issues are not resolved.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »
I have a question for you, midlifeaspie. Not considering any circumstances in which a member might present an actual danger to WP or its other members, would you ever retaliate against someone on WP for something that that member posted here?

Moderators have several tools at their disposal.  We can edit anything you say, lock or move a thread and ban a member - I assume those actions are what you mean by "retaliate".  There are a written set of rules explaining how one must behave on WP in order to continue contributing to the community.  If someone breaks those rules it is a moderators responsibility to use the tools at our disposal to remedy the situation.

There are no rules that state how one must behave outside of WP.  Personally, I don't give a shit and don't believe anyone has a right to try and control one's behavior outside of the scope of their responsibilities.  Will I develop opinions of members who post on WP based upon what I read on both sites?  Of course, can't be avoided.  But I try really hard not to allow personal opinions to play a role in my actions as a moderator.  I write and enforce contracts for a living.  I am one of those "black and white" Aspies.

If I was coming over here to read up on your laughs and then go ban everyone involved I certainly would have done so already.  I won't lie and pretend that it doesn't make my job a little easier knowing what was actually going on from both sides of the web.  That being said, I am sure folks will now be cognizant of my presence and these types of conversations will take place in deeper and darker corners of the site where my vision doesn't reach :)

The bottom line is this, if you follow the rules my hands are tied.  I don't subscribe to the definition of trolling that includes joining a conversation for the purpose of engaging in healthy debate.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »
I guess it's inevitable that if a WP mod joins here, some of the discussion will be about what happened and happens at WP. Feel free to post in other threads and about other subjects, though. You are not solely responsible for what WP is.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2011, 11:48:26 AM »
@Scumby

Yup, I agree with just about everything you said.  All I can say is "stay tuned".

Just to make it clear, I am not here on an outreach mission with the intention of convincing everyone to rejoin the ranks.  I am merely curious as to why so many seem so disaffected so I can do my best to prevent further disaffection going forward.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »

You can, here.

Good lord!

Ooops, I did, didn't I?   *carefully places a quarter in the I2 swear box*   :angel:

That thing must be overflowing  :laugh:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »

You can, here.

Good lord!

That thing must be overflowing  :laugh:

Not from MY contributions, potty-mouthed cephalopod!  :P
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
Fuck you lot. :P

- Albert Einstein

Osensitive1

« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »
I write and enforce contracts for a living.  I am one of those "black and white" Aspies.
Was curious about what brand of compliance you directed, but not the type to ask things like that. Had a similar position in the past, though it was general corporate safety policy and OSHA compliance. Rule orineted professions are good for black and white thinkers.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2011, 02:05:20 PM »
I write and enforce contracts for a living.  I am one of those "black and white" Aspies.
Was curious about what brand of compliance you directed, but not the type to ask things like that. Had a similar position in the past, though it was general corporate safety policy and OSHA compliance. Rule orineted professions are good for black and white thinkers.

Insurance law mostly.