Educational

Author Topic: Yawn, I'm getting tired of games.  (Read 778 times)

DukeNukem

Yawn, I'm getting tired of games.
« on: December 04, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »
It seems like video games are getting about the same. I'm going to cancel my GameFly subscription shortly. I'm getting bored of Simcity 4 and Race Pro, the only two games that have gotten my attention. Maybe I was just never a real gamer in the first place, despite the fact that when I was younger, I would spend hundreds of hours on games, both new and old, mostly shooters, sims, and racing games. But now, either I'm just burnt out or it's my depression that keeps me from playing for more than a few minutes.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Yawn, I'm getting tired of games.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »
Maybe you need something new to do. You start school in January, right?   :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

DukeNukem

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
Maybe you need something new to do. You start school in January, right?   :orly:

Yes, but I don't want to quit video games forever. I don't really have much else to do to pass time.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:34:18 PM »
 :wanker:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
Well, once school starts, that will take up some time. 

What about talking some walks while the weather is still reasonably good.  Is there a YMCA nearby where you can join for a reduced fee based on income?  Working out will help you feel better.  Some colleges have weight/swim facilities.  Taking a PE course would be a good change of pace from all the academic work.

If you'd like to try it, Slots Doc has some free (and very loose) slot machines.  You almost never lose the play bankroll of $1000 they give you to play with.  There's only about 5 free slots machines, but it's fun to win. 

Just about anything gets boring after a while, even sex (or so I'm told) LOL.  Anyway I know what you're talking about. 

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 07:10:14 PM »
Games are great. Maybe you just need to find a genre of games that captures your imagination again.

I never thought I'd be into RPGs, but they've really got me at the moment.

DukeNukem

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 07:42:51 PM »
I might try Civilization V. I have played Civilization III in the past and liked it a lot. Especially the modern theme:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
I might try Civilization V. I have played Civilization III in the past and liked it a lot. Especially the modern theme:

I like Civ V. It's good if you like strategy games. It can be slow though, if you play anything bigger than a medium sized world.

DukeNukem

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:15 PM »

I like Civ V. It's good if you like strategy games. It can be slow though, if you play anything bigger than a medium sized world.

How slow are we talking about?

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 10:34:11 PM »

How slow are we talking about?

It's slow if you play on a large world, but you have the choice of what size of world you want to play on. I have a quad core PC, and it would be too slow for me to play on a large world, but I do have a low boredom threshold when it comes to slow games. It runs fast enough on a small world though. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but if you like strategy games, then I would definately recommend you download it and give it a try.
Remember, you don't have to pay for it, and it should run fast, at least on a smallish world.

DukeNukem

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
I don't tolerate slow games very well, either. I've got Civilization V now, I've played it for a few minutes, it seems a little complex, but maybe I can get the hang of it. I don't think this game appeals to me very much because it's more about strategy rather than creativity. I think my dual-core computer is more than capable of handling it, though, seeing as the graphics are still 2D instead of 3D. ::)

Offline Loki

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »
I know what you mean, a game hasn't really been able to engross me like it did say, 5 or 6 years ago. I don't feel like I'm suddenly too mature for games or anything, but... I dunno, they just aren't the same. I'm a big RPG fan, I can only get into a few shooters, and never for long.
One game I did spend many many hours on was Borderlands though, a great mix of shooter and RPG and loot mania. I highly recommend that game.

I wish I could get into a game like I did between 12-20 though. It was magic back then, especially at the start when game were just getting good. When all of a sudden the graphics exploded into greatness(now, total crap, but then mind blowing). Games had stories, not great stories, but stories that got you involved with the characters and plot. Now they all kind of feel gimped and boring.
Sigh.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 12:36:04 AM »
I don't think games are a complete antidote to boredom. I prefer fucking about with them (ie. making maps for UT2004 etc.) than playing them proper.

There are very few games that really get me VERY addicted, the first one being Total Annihilation:

Massive battles (especially with the 5000 unit mod), easy to mod in general and IMO was way ahead of it's time compared to other RTSes.

Another gem was Rollercoaster Tycoon 1/2:

I spent hours making all sorts of rollercoasters, even elaborate death traps that ended up killing the guests. I really liked the graphical style of it too, oddly enough.

eris

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 01:14:45 AM »
It seems like video games are getting about the same. I'm going to cancel my GameFly subscription shortly. I'm getting bored of Simcity 4 and Race Pro, the only two games that have gotten my attention. Maybe I was just never a real gamer in the first place, despite the fact that when I was younger, I would spend hundreds of hours on games, both new and old, mostly shooters, sims, and racing games. But now, either I'm just burnt out or it's my depression that keeps me from playing for more than a few minutes.

I used to love video games, but I havent played really in almost a year. I would spend hundreds of hours on games , too, especially final fantasy or grand theft auto etc... I just would rahter do other things now I guess. But if you have depression, it will make you want to play less I would think

eris

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 01:16:54 AM »
Another gem was Rollercoaster Tycoon 1/2:

I spent hours making all sorts of rollercoasters, even elaborate death traps that ended up killing the guests. I really liked the graphical style of it too, oddly enough.

I played that a few times at friends houses, it was a really great game

I used to play sim theme park for PS1 :) I think I would play that if I still had it.