Author Topic: Disability hearing? (Americans only)  (Read 3539 times)

DukeNukem

Disability hearing? (Americans only)
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »
On Monday, November the 15th, at 12:30 noon, I am going to have a hearing for my disability appeal. Long story short, about a year ago, I had to reapply for SSI disability benefits and was denied, so I appealed it, my disability check keeps on coming. But now, I'm really worried. How am I going to convince them that I am legally disabled enough to keep on receiving my disability check? I had a post about it on AFF several months ago about a hearing (listing my symptoms of autism) that was ultimately canceled and rescheduled for this date, but looks like Pikajedi deleted it, that bastard. I'm scared that my disability benefits are ultimately going to be cut off, that I will be homeless just because I couldn't get the benefits that I legitimately deserved. I just want this worrying to end and just be able to keep on living on what little income the SSI checks provide! Sometimes, I really despise the USA government and the way they run things in this God-forsaken country.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Disability hearing? (Americans only)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:26:57 PM »
Are you still Duke Nukem on AFF? I'm trying to find your posts. Have you asked Pikajedi if he deleted it?   :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but a doctor's diagnosis and a list of medications prescribed and what they're prescribed for would be helpful.

School records that show you were in special education, if this applies.

Other than that I'm not too sure.  The Princess Royal has multiple handicaps and is on her father's social security, but since we had documentation from the time she was 6 all the way through school it was no problem having her declared disabled.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but a doctor's diagnosis and a list of medications prescribed and what they're prescribed for would be helpful.

School records that show you were in special education, if this applies.

Other than that I'm not too sure.  The Princess Royal has multiple handicaps and is on her father's social security, but since we had documentation from the time she was 6 all the way through school it was no problem having her declared disabled.

:agreed:  Also, contact any doctors or social workers who were involved when you were awarded disability payments the first time. Just my 2 cents.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 08:49:18 AM »
How am I going to convince them that I am legally disabled enough to keep on receiving my disability check? I had a post about it on AFF several months ago about a hearing (listing my symptoms of autism) that was ultimately canceled and rescheduled for this date, but looks like Pikajedi deleted it, that bastard.

Funny how you assume it's me - I'll remind you that there are other members of the moderation staff, both present and past.

As it happens, your thread had been neither deleted nor hidden - not even locked. I would recommend you book an appointment with the optician at your earliest convenience.

Rather than letting you sit and stew in a fog of your inability to google, Have a link directly to it, all prim and proper.

Actually, since you seem to have cleaned up your act here, I'll unmute you on a probationary period at AFF now.

*edit*

There you are, unmuted.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:54:06 AM by Pikajedi3 »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »
You have to show proof of unemployablity , letter from your doctor stating the level of disability and such.  It depends on the state in Ct they help till 21.  You need to contact social services to find out what you need and get help if necessary 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

DukeNukem

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 10:24:51 AM »
How am I going to convince them that I am legally disabled enough to keep on receiving my disability check? I had a post about it on AFF several months ago about a hearing (listing my symptoms of autism) that was ultimately canceled and rescheduled for this date, but looks like Pikajedi deleted it, that bastard.

Funny how you assume it's me - I'll remind you that there are other members of the moderation staff, both present and past.

As it happens, your thread had been neither deleted nor hidden - not even locked. I would recommend you book an appointment with the optician at your earliest convenience.

Rather than letting you sit and stew in a fog of your inability to google, Have a link directly to it, all prim and proper.

Actually, since you seem to have cleaned up your act here, I'll unmute you on a probationary period at AFF now.

*edit*

There you are, unmuted.

Oh, I forgot that I posted that in the member's only section. I just wasn't logged in when I was searching for my post. Thanks, Pikajedi.

Osensitive1

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 10:29:55 AM »
You have to show proof of unemployablity , letter from your doctor stating the level of disability and such.  It depends on the state in Ct they help till 21. 
Are you saying doctors there don't provide statements of disability for adults? 

DukeNukem

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 10:44:45 AM »

This is a serious thread, Soph. Please keep the unfunny memes to the minimum possible. ::)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 10:53:13 AM »
I could move the thread to the Actual Problems forum if you want me to, Pentagram.  That would make it even more obvious to everyone else this is a real problem you are having and need help with.

My aunt is on Social Security disability because of her brittle diabetes.  She was denied the first time and was awarded it on appeal, so they had to pay her a large check for the time she had been denied it.  I think she hired a lawyer for the appeal who specialized in Social Security cases who didn't get paid unless he won. 

Osensitive1

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »
^Yes, Callaway and the queen give good advice. Never been through the process, but looked online and it does seem current medical records and representation are key.

DukeNukem

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
I could move the thread to the Actual Problems forum if you want me to, Pentagram.  That would make it even more obvious to everyone else this is a real problem you are having and need help with.

My aunt is on Social Security disability because of her brittle diabetes.  She was denied the first time and was awarded it on appeal, so they had to pay her a large check for the time she had been denied it.  I think she hired a lawyer for the appeal who specialized in Social Security cases who didn't get paid unless he won. 

This is pretty much the only section of the forums that I look on, and post on. So I don't think I want this topic to be moved yet.

Oh, and I am still being payed my benefits, but it would be nice to get a nice, big check to put into my savings for all of the time I had to worry about being cut off.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 12:21:40 PM »
You have to show proof of unemployablity , letter from your doctor stating the level of disability and such.  It depends on the state in Ct they help till 21. 
Are you saying doctors there don't provide statements of disability for adults? 

They do but it seems to be a cottage industry around here with lawyers advertising they will get the benefits for you just a note from you doctor will not always do
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 12:44:53 PM »