Author Topic: Disability hearing? (Americans only)  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Disability hearing? (Americans only)
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »

DukeNukem

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »
Oh quit being a fucking pussy. they usually are pretty good at finding out if you can work or not, so if they deny you again go get a fuckin' job. If they ever kick me off disability i'll hardly be making a big deal out of it to a bunch of strangers i dont even know online

good luck!

This is SSI (Supplemental Security Income) we are talking about here, not SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). You can still work a part-time job on SSI and still receive benefits, so I've heard. The problem for me is that I don't believe that I can handle the stress of finding and working a full time job. Especially on the city bus as I do not have a car and no means of getting one.

DukeNukem

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2010, 03:47:59 PM »
As Hyke suggested - find your most local advocate group - likely the ASAN, and ask them for assistance.

What is the ASAN?

Autism Self Advocacy Network.

There's no chapter in Tennessee and I cannot travel to another state for support right now.

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
As Hyke suggested - find your most local advocate group - likely the ASAN, and ask them for assistance.

What is the ASAN?

Autism Self Advocacy Network.

There's no chapter in Tennessee and I cannot travel to another state for support right now.

Damn.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »
This thread is really turning me on

*masturbates to everyone's posts*

richard

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
Pentagram get on the city bus and stop being a pussy. Its not that bad! I ride the fucking bus.
 Unless your severly disabled you shouldnt have such a hard time. And at one point you must have had a job? if your getting ssi?

If you've downward spirawled into full disability im shure they will know so shut your ass already ::)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:41:09 PM by mt. sopris »

DukeNukem

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »
Pentagram get on the city bus and stop being a pussy. Its not that bad! I ride the fucking bus.
 Unless your severly disabled you shouldnt have such a hard time. And at one point you must have had a job? if your getting ssi?

If you've downward spirawled into full disability im shure they will know so shut your ass already ::)

You shut your ass, richard. If I were forced to work full-time AND go to college full-time, I would probably break down, screw something up really badly, forget something important... you get the picture. I'm not a fucking do-it-all NT with friends and a supportive family, and you should know that by now. If you don't, then it's a wonder how the Hell you made it this far while being so fucking retarded out of your mind! ::)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
I'm not a fucking do-it-all NT with friends and a supportive family, and you should know that by now.

:bigcry:

richard

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
I'm not a fucking do-it-all NT with friends and a supportive family, and you should know that by now. If you don't, then it's a wonder how the Hell you made it this far while being so fucking retarded out of your mind! ::)
Niether was I. i had some family support years ago! before that i was homeless! do you know what its like to sleep in a rescue mission?!

I'm shure if your really diserving of your moneys you will get them. so. stop. yer. bitching!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
For the non-Americans reading this thread I got this from Wikipedia. 

According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), a person qualifies for SSDI if they:

have a physical or mental condition that prevents them from engaging in any "substantial gainful activity" ("SGA"), and
the condition is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death, and
they are under the age of 65, and
generally, have worked 5 out of the last 10 years[1] as of the determined date of onset of disability
The work requirement is waived for applicants who can prove that they became disabled at or before the age of 22, as these individuals may be allowed to collect on their parent's or parents' work credits. The parent(s) experience no loss of benefits.

Medical evidence is signs, symptoms and laboratory findings and is required to document the claim. Symptoms, such as pain, are considered but must be reasonably expected to come from a medically determinable impairment which the claimant is diagnosed to have. The decision is based on a sequential evaluation of medical evidence. The sequence for adults is: 1. Is the claimant performing a Substantial Gainful Activity? If yes, deny. If no, continue to next sequence. 2. Is the claimant's impairment severe? If no, deny. If yes, continue to next sequence. 3. Does the impairment meet or equal the severity of impairments in the Listing of Impairments? .[2] If yes, allow the claim. If no, continue to next sequence. 4. Is the claimant able to perform past work? If yes, deny. If no continue to next sequence. 5. Is the claimant able to perform any work in the economy? If yes, deny. If no allow the claim.

Medical evidence that demonstrates the applicant's inability to work is required. The DDS or ALJ may also require the applicant to visit a third-party physician for medical documentation, often to supplement the evidence treating sources do not supply. The applicant may meet a SSA medical listing for their condition. If their condition does not meet the requirements of a listing, their residual functional capacity is considered, along with their age, past relevant work, and education, in determining their ability to perform either their past work, or other work generally available in the national economy.

Determination of a residual functional capacity - made in the fourth step in the sequential evaluation process - often constitutes the bulk of the SSDI application and appeal process. A residual functional capacity is assessed in accordance with Title 20 of the Code of Federal Regulations, part 404, section 1545[3] by a disability determination service (DDS) or, on appeal, by an administrative law judge (ALJ), and is generally based upon the opinions of treating and examining physicians, if available.

Residual functional capacity (RFC) is classified according to the five exertional levels of work defined in the Dictionary of Occupational Titles, which are: Sedentary, Light, Medium, Heavy, and Very Heavy. If the residual funcational capacity of an individual equals the previous work performed, the claim is denied on the basis that the individual can return to former work. If the residual functional capacity is less than former work then the RFC is applied against a vocational grid that considers the individual's age, education and transferrability of formerly learned and used skills. The vocational grid directs an allowance or denial of benefits.

I will add that the Princess Royal gets SSDI because she was disabled before age 22.  Because her SSDI benefit is less than the minimum Social Security monthly benefit and she has minimal financial assets, she receives SSI (Supplemental Security Income) to bring her monthly benefit up to the Social Security minimum amount.  The SSI automatically qualifies her for Medicaid (federal health care funded through and administered by the indivicual states) and she receives Medicare because her father receives Medicare. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
Bow tie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Bow tie (disambiguation).
A striped bow tie.

The bow tie is a type of men's necktie. It consists of a ribbon of fabric tied around the collar in a symmetrical manner such that the two opposite ends form loops. Ready-tied bow ties are available, in which the distinctive bow is sewn into shape and the band around the neck incorporates a clip. Some "clip-ons" dispense with the band altogether, instead clipping to the collar. The traditional bow tie, consisting of a strip of cloth which the wearer has to tie by hand, may be known as a "self-tie," "tie-to-tie," or "freestyle" bow tie to distinguish it from these.

Bow ties may be made of any fabric material, but most are made from silk, polyester, cotton, or a mixture of fabrics. Some fabrics (e.g., wool) are much less common for bow ties than for ordinary four-in-hand neckties.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Origin and history
    * 2 Stereotypes of bow tie wearers
    * 3 Current
    * 4 Types
    * 5 Designers
    * 6 Bow tie shapes in corporate logos
    * 7 References
    * 8 External links

[edit] Origin and history
Johan Krouthén wearing a bow tie.

The bow tie originated among Croatian mercenaries during the Prussian wars of the 17th century: the Croats used a scarf around the neck to hold together the opening of their shirts. This was soon adopted (under the name cravat, derived from the French for "Croat") by the upper classes in France, then a leader in fashion, and flourished in the 18th and 19th centuries. The French novelist Honoré de Balzac even wrote a book on the subject.

It is uncertain whether the cravat then evolved into the bow tie and necktie, or whether the cravat gave rise to the bow tie, which in turn led to the necktie.

The most traditional bow ties are usually of a fixed length and are made for a specific size neck. Sizes can vary between approximately 14 and 20 inches just like a comparable shirt collar. Fixed-length bow ties are preferred when worn with the most formal wing collar shirts, so as not to expose the adjusting buckle of the bow tie. Adjustable bow ties are the standard when the tie is to be worn with less formal turn-down collar shirts which obscure the neckband of the tie. "One-size-fits-all" adjustable bow ties are a later invention that help to moderate production costs.
[edit] Stereotypes of bow tie wearers
Main article: list of bow tie wearers
“    "To its devotees the bow tie suggests iconoclasm of an Old World sort, a fusty adherence to a contrarian point of view. The bow tie hints at intellectualism, real or feigned, and sometimes suggests technical acumen, perhaps because it is so hard to tie. Bow ties are worn by magicians, country doctors, lawyers and professors and by people hoping to look like the above. But perhaps most of all, wearing a bow tie is a way of broadcasting an aggressive lack of concern for what other people think."    ”

—Warren St John, The New York Times[1]

Bow ties tend to be associated with particular professions, such as architects, finance receipt collectors, attorneys,[2] university professors, waiters and politicians. Pediatricians frequently wear bow ties: infants cannot grab them the way they could grab a four-in-hand necktie, and they do not get into places where they would be soiled or could, whether accidentally or deliberately, strangle the wearer. Clowns sometimes use an oversize bow tie for its comic effect. Classical musicians traditionally perform in white tie or black tie, both of which are bow ties.

Russell Smith, style columnist for the Toronto Globe and Mail, observes that opinions of bow tie wearers are mixed. While he observed that bowties were experiencing a potential comeback among men,[3][4] he also stated that "the class conscious man recoils at the idea" of pre-tied bow ties. "Left-wingers," he continues, "recoil at what they perceive to be a symbol of political conservatism." He finally observes that "followers of fashion wrinkle their noses at the anachronism," and that bow ties are "deliberate eccentricities," that "basically dull men" use to project the image of being "zany and fun." He argues that, however, the anachronism is the point, and that bow tie wearers are making a public statement that they disdain changing fashion. Such people may not be economic conservatives, he argues, but they are social conservatives. In Smith's view, the bow tie is "the embodiment of propriety," an indicator of fastidiousness and intelligence, and "an instant sign of nerdom in Hollywood movies," but "not the mark of a ladies' man" and "not exactly sexy." To this image he attributes the association of the bow tie with newspaper editors (because of their fastidiousness with words), high-school principals, and bachelor English teachers. Most men, he observes, only wear bow ties with formal dress.

In Hong Kong, a bow tie is a potential sign of one's political support for Sir Donald Tsang, who prominently wears bow ties.
[edit] Current
Globe icon.
   The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with USA and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. Please improve this article and discuss the issue on the talk page.

Although the necktie is more prominent in today's society, being seen at business meetings, formal functions, schools, and sometimes even at home, the bow tie is making a comeback with fun-formal events such as dinner, cocktail parties and nights out on the town. Bow ties, especially narrow "string ties," are still popular with men of all ages in the American South. It is also much more common to wear a bow tie with a dinner jacket than it is to wear a necktie with one; the latter is technically incorrect. Bow ties are also sometimes worn as an alternative to ascot tie when wearing a morning coat

The dress code of "black tie" requires a black bow tie. Most military mess dress incorporates a bow tie.

In British television shows bow ties have been referred to as being "cool". The eleventh incarnation of the Doctor in the BBC's long-running science-fiction series Doctor Who wears a bow tie as part of his costume. The Doctor, in several episodes of Series 5, insists that "bow ties are cool."[5] Eastenders character Tamwar Masood (portrayed by actor Himesh Patel) also wears a bow tie on occasion.

Bow ties saw a comeback in the late 2000's with the CW's Gossip Girl character Chuck Bass bringing the Upper East Side look into pop culture.
[edit] Types

Shown below on the right is one style of "ready tied" bow tie; there is also a clip-on that does not go around the neck but clips to the collar points; these are the simplest type to put on, but are also considered somewhat of a faux pas. If choosing a "self-tie" bow tie, there are usually two shapes available: the "bat wing," which is parallel-sided like a cricket bat, and the "thistle", sometimes known as the "butterfly." An example of each can also be seen preceding. Which is worn is a matter of personal preference. Some other shapes do exist, for instance with pointed tips at both ends. Both of these are of the double-ended type, with both ends shaped; occasionally one still sees bow ties of the single-ended type, in which only one end flares out to give the batwing or thistle shape, and the other remains thin. To tie one of these requires careful consideration, to ensure the broader end finishes in front of the thinner one.

Silk bow ties with "thistle" (left) and "bat wing" (right) ends. The tie on the left is fixed length, while the tie on the right is adjustable.

A pre-tied bow tie
[edit] Designers

Some notable designers of bow ties are Charvet, who invented some novel styles such as a cross between a batwing and a butterfly for the duke of Windsor in the 1950s,[6] Duchamp or Paul Smith.

Some new designers include Carrot & Gibbs and Beau Ties of Vermont.
[edit] Bow tie shapes in corporate logos

Some logos for popular product have incorporated bow tie shapes:

* Budweiser beer had a bow tie logo in the 20th century that resembled overlapping red triangles.[7]
    * Chevrolet vehicles[8] have worn the iconic bow tie logo since 1913.[9]
    * Playboy Enterprises has a rabbit sporting a bow tie for logo.
    * Oil Can Henry's has a bow tie within its logo. Oil Can Henry's employees wear bow ties to represent a commitment to the traditional courteous and detail-oriented service of years past.[10]

[edit] References

1. ^ St John, Warren (June 26, 2005). "A Red Flag That Comes in Many Colors". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/26/fashion/sundaystyles/26BOWTIE.html. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
   2. ^ Cook, Joan (February 19, 1988). "The Law; In Celebration of 'Dignified Frivolity'". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE5D71238F93AA25751C0A96E948260. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
   3. ^ Russell Smith (2007). Men's Style. Macmillan. pp. 135. ISBN 0312361653.
   4. ^ Russell Smith (2008-11-15). "Rock the bow tie without looking nerdy". Toronto Globe and Mail (CTVglobemedia Publishing Inc.). http://theglobeandmail.com./servlet/story/LAC.20081115.RUSSELL15/TPStory/TPEntertainment/.
   5. ^
   6. ^ Gavenas, Mary Lisa (2008). Encyclopedia of Menswear, p.86. Fairchild Publications, New York. ISBN 9781563674655
   7. ^ "Budweiser Introduces Retro-Themed Bottles", article, Retail Merchandiser, April 29, 2005, as reprinted at the allbusiness.com Web site: "the famous Budweiser bow tie logo." Retrieved March 4, 2008
   8. ^ Durrett, Richard, "Don't get caught up in Daytona wreckage", article, Dallas Morning News, February 22, 2008: "It has become almost expected to see Chevrolet's 'bow tie' logo in Victory Lane." Retrieved March 4, 2008
   9. ^ "Chevrolet Bowtie History" (no date given), Generator & Distributor, newsletter of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America" as reprinted in The Chevrolet Review, No. 61, July, 1990: "The Chevrolet Bowtie has been one of the World’s most recognized trademarks since 1913, when William C. Durant first introduced the symbol." Retrieved March 4, 2008
  10. ^ [1]

[edit] External links
   Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Bow tie

* How to tie a bow tie with extra steps to make it easier to follow along, and adjust how tight or loose the tie is.
    * wikiHow on How to tie a bow tie
    * Second way to tie a bow tie.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
Cocktail dress
Question book-new.svg
   This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (January 2010)
Black cocktail dress
Typical cocktail dress, storefront, South Hampton

A cocktail dress or cocktail gown is a woman's dress worn at cocktail parties, and semi-formal occasions.

The length of cocktail dresses varies depending on fashion and local custom. The length ranges from just above the knee to touching the ankle. When it is about 5 cm (2 inches) above the ankle it is called tea length and when it is almost touching the ankle it is called ballerina length, although ballerina length dresses usually fall into the evening dress category.

At semi-formal occasions, less elaborate, shorter-length cocktail dresses may be worn. Prior to the mid 20th century this type of dress was known as 'late afternoon'. When gentlemen are in business suits, ladies also wear dress suits or "good" afternoon skirt and dresses.

By the 1980s the criteria by which a garment was considered a cocktail dress was not its length, but its level of sumptuousness.

In the mid-20th century, some couturiers began describing full-skirted cocktail gowns as "dancing costumes". These are suitable for formal dances but not for balls, or other white tie affairs, where ball gowns are worn.

Christian Dior was the first to use the term "cocktail dress" to refer to early evening wear, in the late 1940s.[1]
[edit] See also

* Little black dress

[edit] References

1. ^ da Cruz, Elyssa (2000). "Dressing for the Cocktail Hour". Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/coho/hd_coho.htm. Retrieved November 13, 2009.

[edit] External links

* Cocktail dresses from the collection of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa

[show]
v • d • e
Clothing
Materials    
Cotton · Fur · Leather · Linen · Nylon · Polyester · Rayon · Silk · Spandex · Wool
Tops    
Blouse · Crop top · Dress shirt · Halterneck · Henley shirt · Hoodie · Jersey · Guernsey (clothing) · Poet shirt · Polo shirt · Shirt · Sleeveless shirt · Sweater · T-shirt · Tube top · Turtleneck
Trousers or pants    
Bell-bottoms · Bermuda shorts · Bondage pants · Capri pants · Cargo pants · Culottes · Cycling shorts · Dress pants · Jeans · Jodhpurs · Overall · Parachute pants · Phat pants  · Shorts · Sweatpants · Windpants
Skirts    
A-line skirt · Ballerina skirt · Fustanella · Hobble skirt · Jean skirt · Job skirt · Leather skirt · Kilt · Men's skirts · Microskirt · Miniskirt · Pencil skirt · Poodle skirt · Prairie skirt · Rah-rah skirt · Sarong · Skort · Slip · Train · Wrap
Dresses    
Ball gown · Cocktail dress · Evening gown · Gown · Jumper dress · Little black dress · Petticoat · Sari · Sundress · Tea gown · Wedding dress
Suits and uniforms    
Academic dress · Afrocentric suit · Black tie · Buddhist monastic robe · Clerical clothing · Court dress · Gymslip · Jumpsuit · Lab coat · Mao suit · Morning dress · Pantsuit · Red Sea rig · Scrubs · Stroller · Tangzhuang · Tuxedo · White tie
Outerwear    
Abaya · Academic gown · Anorak · Apron · Blazer · Cagoule · Cloak · Coat · Duffle coat · Duster (clothing) · Frock coat · Jacket · Greatcoat · Goggle Jacket · Hoodie · Opera coat · Overcoat · Pea coat · Poncho · Raincoat · Redingote · Robe · Shawl · Shrug · Ski suit · Sleeved blanket · Top coat · Trench coat · Vest · Waistcoat · Windbreaker
Underwear    
Boxer briefs · Boxer shorts · Brassiere · Briefs · Compression shorts · Corselet · Corset · Diaper · Knickers · Lingerie · Loincloth · Long underwear · Men's undergarments · Panties · Teddy · Temple garment · Trunks · Undershirt
Accessories    
Belly chain · Belt · Bow tie · Chaps · Coin purse · Earring · Gaiters · Gloves · Handbag · Leg warmer · Leggings · Necklace · Necktie · Scarf · Stocking · Sunglasses · Suspenders · Tights
Footwear    
Athletic shoe · Boot · Court shoe · Dress shoe · Flip-flops · Hosiery · Plimsoll shoe · Sandal · Shoe · Slipper · Sock
Headwear    
Balaclava · Cap · Fascinator · Gaung baung · Hat · Headband · Helmet · Hijab · Hood · Kerchief · Kippah · Mantilla · Niqāb · Sombrero · Turban · Ushanka · Veil · Šajkača
Nightwear    
Babydoll · Blanket sleeper · Negligee · Nightcap · Nightgown · Nightshirt · Peignoir · Pajamas
Swimwear    
Bikini · Boardshorts · Swim diaper · Wetsuit
Clothing parts    
Back closure · Buckle · Button · Buttonhole · Collar · Cuff · Elastic · Fly · Hemline · Hook-and-eye · Lapel · Neckline · Pocket · Shoulder pad · Shoulder strap · Sleeve · Snap · Strap · Velcro · Waistline · Zipper
National costume    
Albanian dress  · Abaya · Aboyne dress · Áo bà ba · Áo dài · Áo tứ thân · Baro't saya & Barong Tagalog · Bunad · Þjóðbúningurinn · Cheongsam (Qípáo) · Dashiki · Deel · Dhoti · Dirndl · Djellaba · Gákti · Gho & Kira · Han Chinese clothing · Hanbok · Jellabiya · Jilbāb · Kebaya · Kente cloth · Kilt · Kimono · Lederhosen · Sampot · Sarafan · Sari · Sarong · Scottish dress · Thawb
Historical garments    
Banyan · Bedgown · Bodice · Braccae · Breeches · Breeching · Brunswick · Chemise · Cravat · Chiton · Chlamys · Doublet · Exomis · Farthingale · Frock · Himation · Hose · Houppelande · Jerkin · Justacorps · Knickerbockers · Palla · Peplos · Polonaise · Smock-frock · Stola · Toga · Tunic
History and surveys    
Africa · Ancient Greece · Ancient Rome · Ancient world · Anglo-Saxon · Byzantine · Clothing terminology · Dress code · Early Medieval Europe · Formal wear · Han Chinese clothing · History of clothing and textiles · History of Western fashion series (1100s-2000s) · Sumptuary law · Timeline of clothing and textiles technology · Undergarments · Vietnam · Women wearing pants
See also    
Adaptive clothing · Adult diaper · Bathrobe · Costume · Fashion · Ironing · Laundry · Locking clothing · Reversible garment
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_dress"
Categories: Formalwear | Dresses | History of fashion

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 07:31:35 PM »
Little black dress
A little black dress

A little black dress is an evening or cocktail dress, cut simply and often quite short. Fashion historians ascribe the origins of the little black dress to the 1920s designs of Coco Chanel,[1] intended to be long-lasting, versatile, affordable, accessible to the widest market possible and in a neutral color. Its ubiquity is such that it is often simply referred to as the "LBD"[2][3][4]

The "little black dress" is considered essential to a complete wardrobe by many women and fashion observers, who believe it a "rule of fashion" that every woman should own a simple, elegant black dress that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion: for example, worn with a jacket and pumps for daytime business wear or with more ornate jewelry and accessories for evening. Because it is meant to be a staple of the wardrobe for a number of years, the style of the little black dress ideally should be as simple as possible: a short black dress that is too clearly part of a trend would not qualify because it would soon appear dated.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 History
    * 2 Famous little black dresses
    * 3 Notes
    * 4 References
    * 5 Further reading

[edit] History

Prior to the 1920s, black was often reserved for periods of mourning and considered indecent when worn outside such circumstances, such as depicted in John Singer Sargent's painting, Portrait of Madame X. A widow's mourning dress was closely observed at a time when details in fashion conveyed a sophisticated symbolic language. During the Victorian and Edwardian ages, a widow was expected to wear several stages of mourning dress for at least two years. “Deep” or “full” mourning required the woman to wear plain black clothing with absolutely no decoration for the first year and a day of mourning. The second stage lasted nine months and permitted the wearing of black silk. In “ordinary mourning” for three months, the widow could accessorize only with black ribbon, lace, embroidery, or jet jewelry. The final six months of “half-mourning” allowed the bereaved to wear muted or neutral colors: shades and tints of purple were most common. Because of the number of deaths in World War I, plus the many fatalities during the Spanish flu epidemic, it became more common for women to appear in public wearing black.

In 1926 Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel published a picture of a short, simple black dress in American Vogue. It was calf-length, straight, and decorated only by a few diagonal lines. Vogue called it “Chanel’s Ford.” Like the Model T, the little black dress was simple and accessible for women of all social classes. Vogue also said that the LBD would become “a sort of uniform for all women of taste.”[citation needed]

The little black dress continued to be popular through the Great Depression, predominantly through its economy and elegance, albeit with the line lengthened somewhat. Hollywood's influence on fashion in North America helped the little black dress's popularity, but for more practical reasons: as Technicolor movies became more common, filmmakers relied on little black dresses because other colors looked distorted on screen and botched the coloring process. During World War II, the style continued in part due to widespread rationing of textiles and in part as a common uniform (accessorized for businesswear) for civilian women entering the workforce.

The rise of Dior's "New Look" in the post-war era and the sexual conservatism of the 1950s returned the little black dress to its roots as a uniform and a symbol of the dangerous woman. Hollywood femmes fatales and fallen women characters were portrayed often in black halter-style dresses in contrast to the more conservative dresses of housewives or more wholesome Hollywood stars. Synthetic fibers made popular in the 1940s and 1950s broadened the availability and affordability of many designs.

The generation gap of the 1960s created a dichotomy in the design of the little black dress. The younger "mod" generation preferred, in general, a miniskirt on their versions of the dress and designers catering to the youth culture continued to push the envelope - shortening the skirt even more, creating cutouts or slits in the skirt or bodice of the dress, using sheer fabrics such as netting or tulle. Many other women in the 1960s aspired to simple black sheath dresses similar to that designed by Hubert de Givenchy and worn by actress Audrey Hepburn in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's.

The 1970s did see some little black dresses. Some were lacy and feminine, some, like Bill Blass' were simple and normal. Others were skimpier. However, colors rather than black were preferred for women's fashion, especially for the disco or jet set.[citation needed]

The popularity of casual fabrics, especially knits, for dress and business wear during the 1980s brought the little black dress back into vogue. Coupled with the fitness craze, the new designs incorporated details already popular at the time such as broad shoulders or peplums: later in the decade and into the 1990s, simpler designs in a variety of lengths and fullness were popular. The grunge culture of the 1990s saw the combination of the little black dress with both sandals and combat boots, though the dress itself remained simple in cut and fabric. The new glamour of the late 1990s led to new variations of the dress but, like the 1970s, color has re-emerged as a factor in fashion and formalwear again shows an aversion against black. Starting in the late 2000s the fashion trends of the 1980s returned to favor. That meant the return of body conscious clothing, muted color schemes, and the reemergence of black. All these things have brought the LBD back, and as now it is popular as ever.
[edit] Famous little black dresses

Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s epitomized the Chanel ideal for wearing little black dresses, accessorized with pearls, as was frequently seen throughout the early 1960s. Betty Boop, a cartoon character based in part on the 1920s' "It Girl" Clara Bow, was drawn wearing a little black dress in her early films, though with Technicolor, Betty's dress became red.[citation needed]

Wallis Warfield Simpson, Duchess of Windsor, was known to own several little black dresses and said much in praise of the garments. One quote of the Duchess: “When a little black dress is right, there is nothing else to wear in its place.”[citation needed] Edith Piaf, the French folk icon, performed in a black sheath dress throughout her career: for this habit she was nicknamed “little black sparrow." It was thought that the dress helped audiences focus more on Piaf's singing and less on her appearance.[citation needed]

In notorious "Covent Garden incident", a director at London's Covent Garden theatre fired the then-obese soprano Deborah Voigt from an opera because she could not fit into a "little black cocktail dress," replacing her with the slimmer Anne Schwanewilms.[5][6][7][8]
[edit] Notes

1. ^ Steele 1998, pp. 246–248.
   2. ^ [1]
   3. ^ [2]
   4. ^ [http://www.niu.edu/PubAffairs/RELEASES/2007/feb/blackdress.shtml "Women’s History Month kicks off in ‘Little Black Dress’ style", Northern Illinois University]
   5. ^ Anthony Tommasini, "With Surgery, Soprano Sheds a Brünnhilde Body," New York Times, March 27, 2005, found at New York Times website. Before and after images included. Accessed May 27, 2009.
   6. ^ Anthony Tommasini, "Second Date With a Little Black Dress," New York Times, June 11, 2008, found at New York Times website. Accessed May 27, 2009.
   7. ^ Vivien Schweitzer, "Music Review: A Slimmed-Down Diva Keeps Her Vocal Heft," New York Times, June 18, 2009, found at New York Times website. Accessed May 27, 2009.
   8. ^ "Deborah Voigt: Off The Scales: Opera Star Talks About Lifelong Battle With Weight," found at Deborah Voigt: Off The Scales, Opera Star Talks About Lifelong Battle With Weight - CBS News Also retrieved May 29, 2009.

[edit] References

* Steele, Valerie (1988). Paris Fashion: A Cultural History. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0195044657.

[edit] Further reading

* Edelman, Amy Holman (1998). The Little Black Dress. Aurum. ISBN 1-85410-604-X
    * The History of the Perfect Little Black Dress Everything you want to know about Coco Chanel's designs in the 1920s.
    * The Little Black Dress by Jenna Wallis
    * “About Fashion.” Fashion.about.com/cs/dresses/a/littleblackdres.htm. May 2006
    * “Sixties Fashions.” http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/basic-black-dress.htm. June 2, 2006.
    * “Woman’s Hour Radio.” http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/04/2006_12_thu.shtml. May 2006.
    * DressLittleBlack.co.uk for everything from news to advice and shopping for Little black dresses and all that goes with them.

[show]
v • d • e
Clothing
Materials    
Cotton · Fur · Leather · Linen · Nylon · Polyester · Rayon · Silk · Spandex · Wool
Tops    
Blouse · Crop top · Dress shirt · Halterneck · Henley shirt · Hoodie · Jersey · Guernsey (clothing) · Poet shirt · Polo shirt · Shirt · Sleeveless shirt · Sweater · T-shirt · Tube top · Turtleneck
Trousers or pants    
Bell-bottoms · Bermuda shorts · Bondage pants · Capri pants · Cargo pants · Culottes · Cycling shorts · Dress pants · Jeans · Jodhpurs · Overall · Parachute pants · Phat pants  · Shorts · Sweatpants · Windpants
Skirts    
A-line skirt · Ballerina skirt · Fustanella · Hobble skirt · Jean skirt · Job skirt · Leather skirt · Kilt · Men's skirts · Microskirt · Miniskirt · Pencil skirt · Poodle skirt · Prairie skirt · Rah-rah skirt · Sarong · Skort · Slip · Train · Wrap
Dresses    
Ball gown · Cocktail dress · Evening gown · Gown · Jumper dress · Little black dress · Petticoat · Sari · Sundress · Tea gown · Wedding dress
Suits and uniforms    
Academic dress · Afrocentric suit · Black tie · Buddhist monastic robe · Clerical clothing · Court dress · Gymslip · Jumpsuit · Lab coat · Mao suit · Morning dress · Pantsuit · Red Sea rig · Scrubs · Stroller · Tangzhuang · Tuxedo · White tie
Outerwear    
Abaya · Academic gown · Anorak · Apron · Blazer · Cagoule · Cloak · Coat · Duffle coat · Duster (clothing) · Frock coat · Jacket · Greatcoat · Goggle Jacket · Hoodie · Opera coat · Overcoat · Pea coat · Poncho · Raincoat · Redingote · Robe · Shawl · Shrug · Ski suit · Sleeved blanket · Top coat · Trench coat · Vest · Waistcoat · Windbreaker
Underwear    
Boxer briefs · Boxer shorts · Brassiere · Briefs · Compression shorts · Corselet · Corset · Diaper · Knickers · Lingerie · Loincloth · Long underwear · Men's undergarments · Panties · Teddy · Temple garment · Trunks · Undershirt
Accessories    
Belly chain · Belt · Bow tie · Chaps · Coin purse · Earring · Gaiters · Gloves · Handbag · Leg warmer · Leggings · Necklace · Necktie · Scarf · Stocking · Sunglasses · Suspenders · Tights
Footwear    
Athletic shoe · Boot · Court shoe · Dress shoe · Flip-flops · Hosiery · Plimsoll shoe · Sandal · Shoe · Slipper · Sock
Headwear    
Balaclava · Cap · Fascinator · Gaung baung · Hat · Headband · Helmet · Hijab · Hood · Kerchief · Kippah · Mantilla · Niqāb · Sombrero · Turban · Ushanka · Veil · Šajkača
Nightwear    
Babydoll · Blanket sleeper · Negligee · Nightcap · Nightgown · Nightshirt · Peignoir · Pajamas
Swimwear    
Bikini · Boardshorts · Swim diaper · Wetsuit
Clothing parts    
Back closure · Buckle · Button · Buttonhole · Collar · Cuff · Elastic · Fly · Hemline · Hook-and-eye · Lapel · Neckline · Pocket · Shoulder pad · Shoulder strap · Sleeve · Snap · Strap · Velcro · Waistline · Zipper
National costume    
Albanian dress  · Abaya · Aboyne dress · Áo bà ba · Áo dài · Áo tứ thân · Baro't saya & Barong Tagalog · Bunad · Þjóðbúningurinn · Cheongsam (Qípáo) · Dashiki · Deel · Dhoti · Dirndl · Djellaba · Gákti · Gho & Kira · Han Chinese clothing · Hanbok · Jellabiya · Jilbāb · Kebaya · Kente cloth · Kilt · Kimono · Lederhosen · Sampot · Sarafan · Sari · Sarong · Scottish dress · Thawb
Historical garments    
Banyan · Bedgown · Bodice · Braccae · Breeches · Breeching · Brunswick · Chemise · Cravat · Chiton · Chlamys · Doublet · Exomis · Farthingale · Frock · Himation · Hose · Houppelande · Jerkin · Justacorps · Knickerbockers · Palla · Peplos · Polonaise · Smock-frock · Stola · Toga · Tunic
History and surveys    
Africa · Ancient Greece · Ancient Rome · Ancient world · Anglo-Saxon · Byzantine · Clothing terminology · Dress code · Early Medieval Europe · Formal wear · Han Chinese clothing · History of clothing and textiles · History of Western fashion series (1100s-2000s) · Sumptuary law · Timeline of clothing and textiles technology · Undergarments · Vietnam · Women wearing pants
See also    
Adaptive clothing · Adult diaper · Bathrobe · Costume · Fashion · Ironing · Laundry · Locking clothing · Reversible garment
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_black_dress"
Categories: Dresses | Formalwear | History of clothing (Western fashion) | History of fashion

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »
Gymnophobia
   Look up gymnophobia in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Gymnophobia is a fear (phobia) of nudity. Gymnophobics experience anxiety from nudity, even if they realize their fear is irrational. They may worry about seeing others naked or being seen naked, or both. Their fear may stem from a general anxiety about sexuality, from a fear that they are physically inferior, or from a fear that their nakedness leaves them exposed and unprotected.[1] The word "Gymnophobia" is derived from the Greek "gymnos" (naked).

Standards of modesty (also called demureness or reticence) generally prevent public nudity. Avoidance of nudity in private situations may be a continuation of modesty, or may extend to prudishness or body shame. Only an actual fear of nudity qualifies as gymnophobia. Only when the fear is beyond one's control or is interfering with daily life can an anxiety disorder diagnosis be made.[2]
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Evidence Of Intensification
    * 2 Modern media
    * 3 The Rollback
    * 4 See also
    * 5 References

[edit] Evidence Of Intensification

It is quite apparent that with the transition from feudalism to capitalism, gymnophobia became more intense than in Roman times.[citation needed]
[edit] Modern media

Where photography, film and television, proliferated at a time and place of strong gymnophobia, the genres developed censored nudity, and didn't carry over the genre from painting, where nudity was not generally considered untoward.
[edit] The Rollback

Gymnophobia was combated by the Wandervogel of Germany, the "Wandering Birds" or early hippies.

In East Germany, the GDR, the move to widely legalize public nudity around the year 1967 was carried within the Socialist Unity Party.[3]
[edit] See also

* Never-nude
    * Prude
    * Sex-negativity
    * Menstrual taboo
    * List of phobias

[edit] References

1. ^ medterms.com
   2. ^ Edmund J. Bourne, The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook, 4th ed, New Harbinger Publications, 2005, ISBN 1-57224-413-5
   3. ^ The German wikipedia article on FKK frei korper kulture tells the story of how the move was carried and the revolutionary roll back of gymnophobia

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnophobia"
Categories: Phobias | Nudity