Author Topic: Should underage abortions require parental consent?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Should underage abortions require parental consent?
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »
Wht if the parents refuse to give their consent?
i think underage abortion should be legal too - but with permission. I dont think underage kids are mature enough to do something like this on their own.

I don't see it as an issue of "maturity", I see it as an issue of ownership. The genitals of a child, from the second they are born, are their own property and NOT the property of their parents. That means that the parents can't circumcise their kids, re-asign gender, or tinker with their junk in any way, shape or form. If an underaged girl gets pregnant, since she is the one who would have to give birth and raise the kid, she has the choice of whether or not to have the kid.

I see your point about it needing to be the decision of the girl herself whether or not to have an abortion or give birth to the baby, since it's her body.

I think that if a young teenage girl who discovers that she is pregnant doesn't get her parents involved, she probably would be pressured by the twenty or thirty-something year old father of the baby to get an abortion, though.  Otherwise if she gives birth, he's going to jail for statutory rape.

Scrapheap

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2010, 09:46:30 PM »
I think that if a young teenage girl who discovers that she is pregnant doesn't get her parents involved, she probably would be pressured by the twenty or thirty-something year old father of the baby to get an abortion, though.  Otherwise if she gives birth, he's going to jail for statutory rape.

It's kinda funny you bring up a scenario like this. Did I ever tell you the story about a high school friend of mine (she was a fuck buddy for a while) who was the result of that kind of relationship?? She was found abandonded at the bottom of a staircase in an apartment complex in Cincinnati in Feb of '73. Her biological mother hunted her down and found her in '95  think it was. It turned out that her mother was 13, and her dad was 30 when she was born. After she was born, the dad forced the mother to abandon her. Of course my friend being the little deviant that she is, took advantage of the situation. She has 2 legitimate birth certificates, and 2 legal identities.  :evillaugh:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2010, 11:30:12 PM »
In a perfect world, where every girl could talk to her parents and count on them being there for her when she really needed them maybe. But it's not perfect, and it's her body and her life. I think they should be made aware of all the options they have, and if counseling is requested I think it should be provided, but I think the end decision should be made by her and no one else.

My MIL got pregnant at 14, her parents packed her a suitcase and dropped her off crying in her boyfriends yard. They didn't look back and they didn't turn around.

Some parents religious fruitcakes or not, have either never grown up themselves or just should have never had kids. :P

Scrapheap

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2010, 11:34:07 PM »

Some parents religious fruitcakes or not, have either never grown up themselves or just should have never had kids. :P

QFT!!

:indeed:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2010, 12:57:04 AM »

It's kinda funny you bring up a scenario like this. Did I ever tell you the story about a high school friend of mine (she was a fuck buddy for a while) who was the result of that kind of relationship?? She was found abandonded at the bottom of a staircase in an apartment complex in Cincinnati in Feb of '73. Her biological mother hunted her down and found her in '95  think it was. It turned out that her mother was 13, and her dad was 30 when she was born. After she was born, the dad forced the mother to abandon her. Of course my friend being the little deviant that she is, took advantage of the situation. She has 2 legitimate birth certificates, and 2 legal identities.  :evillaugh:

No, you didn't but how horrible for both the 13 year old mother and the child.

Scrapheap

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2010, 02:21:06 AM »

In the end, it worked out for both. Rachel (her biological mother named her Susan) was found within a couple of hours, was taken to the police department, and put up for adoption. She was adopted by a decent family and given a good home. He mother broke up with her much-older boyfriend and did OK from what I heard. The shocking thing is how much the mother and daughter ended up like each other, despite never having met untill adulthood.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2010, 02:38:09 AM »

In the end, it worked out for both. Rachel (her biological mother named her Susan) was found within a couple of hours, was taken to the police department, and put up for adoption. She was adopted by a decent family and given a good home. He mother broke up with her much-older boyfriend and did OK from what I heard. The shocking thing is how much the mother and daughter ended up like each other, despite never having met untill adulthood.

In what way?

eris

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
Ok, well I re-read the whole thread and many of you have good points

I think the thing I am concerend about is young girls using abortion as birth control. But I agree that many parents are not supportive

So I think this : underage abortion should be ok without parents consent, but a social worker must talk to the girl first and maybe try to help her.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 03:36:08 AM »
Depends if the social worker knows what they're talking about. Some are pretty hopeless. :duh: Who pays for all these abortions? I don't believe the parents should have to if they aren't told and/or disagree AND are prepared to support their daughter if she doesn't abort. I don't believe in abortion being used as birth control. Ultimately, it is the girl's decision but are the people pressing them to decide one way or the other going to be around afterwards?